Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Nephews nightmare--what to expect ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:09 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
The lesson to be learned here is not to use your CSP, etc. for trip insurance, because as many others have noted, they're not going to be of much help.
Credit card insurance will indeed pay if your circumstance meets the guidelines. I had a death in the family some time ago, and I was reimbursed for non-refundable expenses as a result of changes I had to make in existing travel plans.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by RJ1
Credit card insurance will indeed pay if your circumstance meets the guidelines. I had a death in the family some time ago, and I was reimbursed for non-refundable expenses as a result of changes I had to make in existing travel plans.
Yes, I understand, and I'm glad it worked for you, but that circumstance has nothing to do with the Southwest meltdown this week.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I have to chuckle as I got a AAA come on mailing today offering a paid upgrade to a premier level that markets a "waiver of airline booking fees" without a smidge of fine print to what that entails. I'm sure the odds of me, a covered circumstance, remembering to use it and an actual payoff are astronomical...
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by NextTrip
I once saw a family of six (in Denver, also) that just missed a connection because they stopped to get something to eat on there way to the connecting flight. The family outright refused to split up and go on separate flights. The mother make quite a scene at the gate. She told the agent that six people should be kicked off the next flight, so her family could get home. The agent was unable to find a flight for all six to their destination until the next day.
Wow sounds real pleasant!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Wow sounds real pleasant!
Originally Posted by joshua362
I have to chuckle as I got a AAA come on mailing today offering a paid upgrade to a premier level that markets a "waiver of airline booking fees" without a smidge of fine print to what that entails. I'm sure the odds of me, a covered circumstance, remembering to use it and an actual payoff are astronomical...
Who pays airline booking fees anymore??
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Who pays airline booking fees anymore??
IDK, thats what makes it so ridiculous! One mention says "airline booking fees" the other says "airline fee waiver".

At a glance I actually thought they were talking about change fees but now I have absolutely no idea nor care since I'm sure it will never benefit me if ever needed.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Somehow DL, UA and AA also have unionized pilots and have broad interline agreements. Interlining could happen if management made it a priority.

Delta has interline agreements far beyond its SkyTeam partners or SkyMiles partners -- about 140 carriers worldwide.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...nts--iet-.html
Pilots contract forbids codesharing/interline agreements that's why. AA, DL and UA's don't. Pretty simple really
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by 737MAX
Pilots contract forbids codesharing/interline agreements that's why. AA, DL and UA's don't. Pretty simple really
Probably because Southwest tried codeshares with laughable outcomes:
One troubling aspect to this announcement [Volaris code-sharing] is that our Company is risking brand dilution by association with an unknown carrier. Our Company’s experience with ATA via a codeshare agreement resulted in numerous customer service and operational problems that reflected poorly on Southwest Airlines which adversely affected our brand. Additionally, when ATA went out of business, thousands of customers were holding itineraries sold by Southwest that could not be completed. Clearly the association with ATA reflected poorly on our Company.
Dallas Morning News

Last edited by LegalTender; Jul 26, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Note that it was Southwest who rebooked the family on a connecting flight (they had a non-stop originally.) Splitting up at the connection would have risked being separated, with one parent and child (or children) potentially making it to the home airport (or being stranded at another connection) and one parent and child (or children) not making it (or being stranded somewhere else). Those who have multiple young children realize that this isn't really a viable option.
I disagree.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Laying the interline issue on the union is b.s. It is simply a negotiating point and WN didn't want to pony up the money which the real air carriers did in order to serve their passengers. Either way, people who book WN have to understand that they are taking a risk and they have to be prepared to either accept the risk or insure it.

Basic travel insurance which would have covered new tickets on another carrier for OP and his family runs about $20/trip per person. If you don't fly often and therefore can't justify a high-end CC or an annual policy, spending $100 to insure your trip (including luggage and other things) is common sense.

But, people don't. Fortunately, OP will likely wind up OK. But, imagine getting snowed in with a family and losing 2-3 days of work, sitting in a hotel and eating in a restaurant. It's nice to know that all of that gets reimbursed and when you find the right flights, you just book them.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Basic travel insurance which would have covered new tickets on another carrier for OP and his family runs about $20/trip per person. If you don't fly often and therefore can't justify a high-end CC or an annual policy, spending $100 to insure your trip (including luggage and other things) is common sense.

But, people don't. Fortunately, OP will likely wind up OK. But, imagine getting snowed in with a family and losing 2-3 days of work, sitting in a hotel and eating in a restaurant. It's nice to know that all of that gets reimbursed and when you find the right flights, you just book them.
As I've posted earlier, travel insurance generally does not cover issues caused when the carrier cancels a flight (with some exceptions for strike or major weather).

Originally Posted by ursine1
In addition to my specific reply earlier, regarding exactly what the OP's nephew can expect from WN (and nothing more), I'll just mention that travel insurance would most likely not be of any help in this situation, as many are now discovering.

Travel insurance, especially that included with a credit card, doesn't cover flight cancellations by a carrier.

Chase Sapphire Card Travel Insurance

Trip cancellation

What is covered?

A trip that must be canceled before departure for a covered reason, which is limited to accidental injury, death, or sickness experienced by the card holder or immediate family or traveling companions; severe weather; and for a few other reasons such as unavoidable jury duty. If the trip was arranged with points or miles, you'll be reimbursed with the same number of points or miles you used for the trip. Needless to say, some part of your airline fare must be charged to your Chase Sapphire card.

What is not covered?

Trip cancellation insurance does not cover you if the airline cancels or changes your flight, unless the cause is severe weather. Pre-existing conditions are excluded. And if you've bought travel insurance elsewhere, you must make a claim on that policy first.

Trip interruption

What is covered?

Trips interrupted by injuries and sickness are covered unless a pre-existing condition, as is severe weather, but not much else. Same $5000 in coverage, same immediate family. Your covered trip cannot exceed 60 days in duration.

What is not covered?

Most importantly for air travel, this part of the insurance does not "apply to any…loss caused by or resulting from, directly or indirectly…travel arrangements canceled or changed by [an airline], tour operator or travel agent unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather…" So a mechanical delay appears to be not covered, which is pretty limiting

I have extensive experience working with credit card issuers creating marketing and compliance communications, so I'm well versed in the terms and conditions of trip cancellation, interruption and delay insurance.

Credit card included travel insurance policies exclude things covered by the carrier's COC. Most purchased policies do as well, but some higher end ones may have less exclusions.

If they did not, they would pay constantly -- every time a flight was cancelled and/or a trip delayed due to cancellation. Carriers cancel a lot of flights.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
What is the best overall credit card for trip interruption/cancellation?

For both paid and reward tickets?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:19 am

Note that it was Southwest who rebooked the family on a connecting flight (they had a non-stop originally.) Splitting up at the connection would have risked being separated, with one parent and child (or children) potentially making it to the home airport (or being stranded at another connection) and one parent and child (or children) not making it (or being stranded somewhere else). Those who have multiple young children realize that this isn't really a viable option.
I disagree.
I think it's really how comfortable the parents are with flying themselves, and with the youngins. It's extremely common for one parent to take multiple children on a trip. It's more of the stress associated with having to rebook flights and thinking things thru on a moment's notice. And if one parent refuses to fly without their spouse/sig other, it makes things that more complicated. Of course, there's luggage issues and other stuff.

Heck, if the car was left at the airport, just making sure the parent that's flying first has access to the car keys is kinda important when they get to their home airport!

If families are used to flying separate, it probably helps. If they rarely fly or always fly together, they're not as used to the sudden chaos!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Plat Amex
Originally Posted by 737MAX
Let's get one thing straight, the PILOTS and their Union choose not to interline. Southwest attempted to set up a distressed passenger agreement with B6 but the pilots and SWAPA threw an absolute hissy fit.

Swapa ( SWA pilot's union) has nothing to do with distressed pax agreements. The railway labor act has nothing to do with distressed pax agreements. Code share airlines have the ability to transfer tix to non code share airlines. But transfers between code shares makes the process a lot smoother. SW management has never played "nice" with the big boys ( AA UA DA).

The fact that SW does not transfer tix or checked bags to other airlines is the main reason they do not get my business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.