Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to onboard flight tracker map

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS G75K; Hilton Diamond
Changes to onboard flight tracker map

Anyone else notice the change to a more generic and less detailed flight tracker map through the wifi connect page? The change must have occurred in the past couple weeks. I noticed it on my flight to BWI today. Too bad, I thought the old flight tracker map was one of the best in the industry.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
Yup, more colorful but much less informative. On my last flight used Flightaware on my iPad to figure out where we were!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:45 pm

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
What's it missing?

I hate not knowing where I am, but as long as that thing's usable I have no need to pay $7 for the crappy wifi that's not good for much else besides visiting FlightAware.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:51 pm

Had a trip last Thursday with the old, much better map and then noticed the new one this morning and again this afternoon on my return. Zero detail and pretty much worthless beyond generally knowing where you are. I appreciated the old one as you were easily able to identify where you were and see the same thing out the window.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I flew southwest in Mid March---unsure if I was looking at the old or new maps???
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:21 am

I was so disappointed on my flight a week ago that the flight tracker background had changed. No place names, no national parks and other landmarks, no forests, highways, reservations, etc. Now it's just a stark topographical map. If you are flying over the southwest, it's pretty boring.

I choose my flights based on whether it's a 700 or higher JUST so I can use the flight tracker.

- tccc
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Had the old map on EWR-HOU on 3/30 and then the new map on HOU-DCA on 4/5. Agree with the other complaints that the new one is too generic... the old map was just right in balancing details with simplicity.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Haven't flown for about 6 weeks.

I always take a window seat and the flight tracker is a major plus for me.

I don't understand what WN has gained by this particular degradation of service.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
This is possibly the worst web mapping application I have ever seen. Firstly, this is the pinnacle of the "dumbing down of America" by making the map so generic and simplified that its meant for a first grader to look at. In reality, the person looking can't actually see where they are along a specific route. Does WN think people are that moronic?

Secondly, it barely works. On a flight from BWI to MHT, I was over NYC for 30 minutes. I quickly switched to Flight Aware to see my actual route.

Whoever came up with this idea, should be shunned. It's a horrible web map. That being said, the actual iPad friendly interface is nicer.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:11 am

Yeah, I was bummed to see that the map had been prettied up but majorly dumbed down. I did notice that there's a new option under Destination (I think) that shows you connecting flight info, which could come in handy.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:02 pm

I often notice the maps have the completely wrong flight info as well. Often its the already completed flight or the one after.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:26 pm

I always use the flight tracker, if WIFI, and I have never experienced that.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by lougord99
I always use the flight tracker, if WIFI, and I have never experienced that.
I've seen it on about four different occasions. In all instances the flight tracker displayed that we were flying AUS-DAL.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:36 am

funny phone call

I received a funny phone call from Dallas. I had sent a complaint through the web site about the new flight tracker. A woman called me to 'talk about my concerns'. After a little back and forth, it became clear to me that she had no idea what a flight tracker was. So, I explained it. She replied that she thought that was very cool and she would have to try it the next time she flew.

Since she knew nothing about the flight tracker, she obviously knew nothing about the changes.

So much for discussing my concerns.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by lougord99
I received a funny phone call from Dallas. I had sent a complaint through the web site about the new flight tracker. A woman called me to 'talk about my concerns'. After a little back and forth, it became clear to me that she had no idea what a flight tracker was. So, I explained it. She replied that she thought that was very cool and she would have to try it the next time she flew.

Since she knew nothing about the flight tracker, she obviously knew nothing about the changes.

So much for discussing my concerns.
Thats sad they have no idea about the changes or even what it is

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.