Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Major Check-in Issues with WN International Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major Check-in Issues with WN International Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:04 pm

OK like it or not I am flying SW ATL to PUJ this December.

Reading this I am worried that there's not a check in option at the International Terminal which is going to be a pain as I am sure that's where we get dumped out at when we return. I really don't want to do the cross country shuttle with my almost 80 year old mother!

SO is there a desk at the international terminal? And if so, any idea when it's open?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Yuu'd think they might have taken advantage of those new employees they acquired from Airtran who had International experience, but that would have been too easy.
I think they did.... my one and only flight on AirTran internationally I felt like I was dealing with people who had no clue. They didn't give out landing cards in advance, the flight crew had no idea what they were supposed to "announce" about immigration/customs and depended on a gate agent to come on and make the announcements etc.....
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
I think they did.... my one and only flight on AirTran internationally I felt like I was dealing with people who had no clue. They didn't give out landing cards in advance, the flight crew had no idea what they were supposed to "announce" about immigration/customs and depended on a gate agent to come on and make the announcements etc.....
When was your flight on Airtran?

That said Southwest cancelled nearly all of Airtran's International Routes shifting departure points from those Airtran used to other airports.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:36 am

When was your flight on Airtran?

That said Southwest cancelled nearly all of Airtran's International Routes shifting departure points from those Airtran used to other airports.
Just before the merger with SW was formally approved. I remember hoping that SW would be able to deal with "rude and clueless" employees in Atlanta.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:30 am

Reading this I am worried that there's not a check in option at the International Terminal which is going to be a pain as I am sure that's where we get dumped out at when we return. I really don't want to do the cross country shuttle with my almost 80 year old mother!

SO is there a desk at the international terminal? And if so, any idea when it's open?
I flew from Philly to ATL, then ATL to PUJ in December 2014, which was very shortly after SW started doing International flights. I had absolutely no issues. In Philly, they reviewed my Passport and stamped my boarding pass there. I flew into ATL and simply went to the gate for my plane. Had no issues flying into PUJ. At the time even the FAs had to read up on their notes as to what to do, but again, no issues.

When we departed, we left PUJ and flew into ATL. Went thru an extremely simply customs review; got our luggage and rechecked in, and hung around in the terminal until our flight back to Philly was ready to depart.

There were no rude and clueless employees, and everything ran efficiently. Actually, I'm doing this flight again in October.

Obviously, you're going to hear from people here that had bad experiences. Southwest runs dozens of flights every day to international destinations, and has done so for a few years now. Don't let a few people scare you, especially when much of what they state is opinion anyway.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:32 am

I really like SW. I really disliked AirTran. They were rude and clueless. I will say Atlanta has gotten better, but they still have some holdovers from the AirTran model!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The problem is not "rude and clueless" employees, it is that the systems on which they must work are antiquated and do not adequately handle simple international operations. As a result, lines are backed up, it takes longer, things which should be easy are not, and that gets taken as "rude & clueless" because it is hard to believe that in 2016, something can't be done.

This isn't to suggest that ATL doesn't have some "rude & clueless" employees. Of course it does. But, no more than the norm.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The problem is not "rude and clueless" employees, it is that the systems on which they must work are antiquated and do not adequately handle simple international operations. As a result, lines are backed up, it takes longer, things which should be easy are not, and that gets taken as "rude & clueless" because it is hard to believe that in 2016, something can't be done.

This isn't to suggest that ATL doesn't have some "rude & clueless" employees. Of course it does. But, no more than the norm.
True AirTran experiences.....

Customer goes to check in counter "when is plane going to depart" Agent "it's on time" Customer "On time was 10 minutes ago" Agent "I don't know just sit down and wait"

Customers are sitting in gate area waiting on plane. No announcements etc. All the sudden agent gets on loudspeaker and screams "WHY AREN"T YOU ALL AT GATE X WE MOVED THIS FLIGHT 10 MINUTES AGO" Agent then says to her co-worker "those passengers are idiots" Sadly, loud enough for passengers to hear. And I guess we were, we relied upon the airline staff at the gate to tell us the plane was not going out of that gate (NOTE: The signage at the gate had not been updated either)

Check-in line at the main terminal is incredibly long. Agent is standing there complaining about having too many passengers (Hint, if you don't have passengers you don't have a job!....) Passenger goes up to him to ask him a question and he tells the passenger "I just direct traffic I don't talk to you"

Rude and Clueless.

I am not saying the majority of SW employees are like this, but sadly they didn't fire all the rude and clueless they inherited in Atlanta
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:48 pm

Funny I flew Airtran nearly twice a week from the time they started until they were shutdown and I never ran into very many rude and clueless Airtran employees. The only incident I can remember is a FA in business who spent the entire flight talking to one of his colleagues seated in Business and going on and on about then passengers he had removed for planes.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: WN RR, B6 TrueBlue, AA, NK

When I flew PHL-ATL-CUN with WN, it was in the domestic concourse. You don't have to board a flight from the international terminal if you don't have ops over there, doesn't make sense connection wise.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyAwesome23
When I flew PHL-ATL-CUN with WN, it was in the domestic concourse. You don't have to board a flight from the international terminal if you don't have ops over there, doesn't make sense connection wise.
We start and end in Atlanta. My problem is parking. They will force us out the International terminal when we get to Atlanta. So I would like to start there. The shuttle between International and Domestic is not really a fun way to end a trip!

I had hoped to go out to International this weekend and see what I could figure out but Matthew cancelled my trip.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:47 am

We start and end in Atlanta. My problem is parking. They will force us out the International terminal when we get to Atlanta. So I would like to start there. The shuttle between International and Domestic is not really a fun way to end a trip!
After immigration, just join the line for connecting flights. You'll do a TSA re-screen and board the train back to domestic baggage. Totally authorized. No one asks for a BP in this scenario.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
After immigration, just join the line for connecting flights. You'll do a TSA re-screen and board the train back to domestic baggage. Totally authorized. No one asks for a BP in this scenario.
But don't checked bags come out at the International Terminal?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:14 am

But don't checked bags come out at the International Terminal?
Of course. Customs/Immigration process both you and your bags there. Two exit paths follow. You join the queue for onward connections, re-screen at TSA and board the train back to domestic. No need standing curbside for a shuttle.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Of course. Customs/Immigration process both you and your bags there. Two exit paths follow. You join the queue for onward connections, re-screen at TSA and board the train back to domestic. No need standing curbside for a shuttle.
We are checking luggage. There will be liquids the bags cannot be screened at the TSA and go on the train for domestic.

I had no idea SW would not let me check in at international. That's just bizarre!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.