Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Major Check-in Issues with WN International Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major Check-in Issues with WN International Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Marriott
Angry Major Check-in Issues with WN International Service

I just returned this week from a trip down to Mexico City on Southwest. It was ATL-DAL-HOU-MEX on the way down and MEX-HOU-ATL on the way back. The inability of WN to allow for PreCheck on international itineraries is a known problem, and that issue was certainly in play here. However, the most aggravating issue I had was with check-in. For brevity's sake, I'll just paint the picture of my check-in experience at ATL.

ATL-DAL-HOU-MEX
Arrived at ATL at 4:15a for a 6:30a departure to DAL. Knowing that boarding passes cannot be issued online for international itineraries, I was quickly able to swipe my passport at a kiosk, retrieve my boarding pass, and head to bag drop. To my surprise, the agent manning the line (rudely, and quite out of SWA character) informed me that I could not use bag drop, even with a boarding pass in hand. Rather, I had to stand in line at the full service check-in to have my passport checked and boarding pass stamped. 60 (yes, SIXTY) minutes later, my time came and my bag was checked. Even after affixing my bag with its destination tag and the special blue "international" tag, she did not even look at my passport nor stamp my boarding pass. Without access to Pre-Check on international itineraries, we rushed to get through security and arrived at our gate right as boarding began.

MEX-HOU-ATL
Like I said, I'll spare you. Magically, check-in at MEX was quicker and more efficient than in ATL. However, the no online boarding pass, no bag drop frustration applied. And boarding SWA flights in Mexico City is a total trainwreck ...but that has more to do with the airport and local boarding customs and etiquette.

Has anyone else experienced this frustration? Has anyone else with a BP in hand been refused bag drop and forced to stand in a long line for "passport verification" only to have the passport verified at the departure gate for the international segment? Is this normal procedure and I'm getting upset over nothing? Ugh.

Southwest needs to get its international act together. Out of loyalty and appreciation for the on-board product, I've now flown ATL-MEX and return several times. However, I have way too many MORE convenient options out of ATL. Most airlines allow me to use my mobile boarding pass, use bag drop, and continue on my merry way. Until SWA can operate international flights like their a major airline in the year 2016, I can't see myself flying them internationally any time soon.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
We can only hope that once everything is running on the same computer system they will have to address the issues since they would also plague the domestic side of the operation which would be unacceptable. Apparently that's supposed to happen semi soon (as in about 6-9 months).

But yes, right now Southwest seems to treat the international side as a sort of side project versus the domestic operation. I like WN obviously but sometimes I get the sense that they think they are pioneering the concept of flying across borders and that it's not something that's been happening for about as long as airlines have existed.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alggag
I like WN obviously but sometimes I get the sense that they think they are pioneering the concept of flying across borders and that it's not something that's been happening for about as long as airlines have existed.
It really does seem that way, doesn't it? I've never encountered the phrase "Oh, but you're flying international." when dealing with any airline's personnel. I really hope they get their act together soon. International flights, much less transborder flights, shouldn't be this cumbersome.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by TeoJack
It really does seem that way, doesn't it? I've never encountered the phrase "Oh, but you're flying international." when dealing with any airline's personnel. I really hope they get their act together soon. International flights, much less transborder flights, shouldn't be this cumbersome.
Ha, I was actually thinking of a couple of instances where a line like that was said and I just felting like shaking my head. Also, some of the stuff that I've heard the crews say either during loading/unloading outside of the US or while waiting to go through immigration also left me with that impression.

Ironically, at least in my experience the ticket agents and gate agents outside of the US seem to be better prepared *except* for when it comes time to actually board the flights. Boarding full flights out of MEX and SJO felt like free-for-alls with little regard to actual boarding positions.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:07 am

Do they not have separate full service counters for international flights at Atlanta? Granted I don't think they have that many international flights left out of there.

Can't comment on the bag drop part but my experience at BWI was the complete opposite. Directed to the Intl check-in desks where I spent about 3 minutes waiting. The agent did indeed look at my passport, but I had already pre-entered the info online so I'm sure that sped up the process. Had my boarding pass "with docs ok stamp" in 30 seconds. Never had to verify anything to the gate except upon boarding they wanted to visually confirm everyone had their passport.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Can't comment on the bag drop part but my experience at BWI was the complete opposite. Directed to the Intl check-in desks where I spent about 3 minutes waiting. The agent did indeed look at my passport, but I had already pre-entered the info online so I'm sure that sped up the process. Had my boarding pass "with docs ok stamp" in 30 seconds. Never had to verify anything to the gate except upon boarding they wanted to visually confirm everyone had their passport.
Several differences. For one thing, OP used a kiosk Passport scanner to get a boarding pass. It still needs a "docs ok" check by a human agent, typically done at the gate.

Since WN bags fly free, ATL full service lines tend to be appallingly long. WN int'l without checked luggage, curbside or counter, is always a better option.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: LTP, PP
But yes, right now Southwest seems to treat the international side as a sort of side project versus the domestic operation. I like WN obviously but sometimes I get the sense that they think they are pioneering the concept of flying across borders and that it's not something that's been happening for about as long as airlines have existed.
I usually make a tired, old joking comment right now about how if there was only a way to purchase an established international airline, study its operations, retain its best people and practices while running in parallel for a few years to ensure a smooth transition - but I won't...

Last edited by joshua362; Jul 18, 2016 at 11:22 am
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This stuff is all old, well-known and tired. But, people keep on flying WN international. What is the message to WN? Simply that if it is not a customer priority, it is not a provider, e.g. WN priority.

Until customers vote with their feet and fly any one of the other numerous carriers which serve WN's international destinations (without multiple connections mind you), don't expect much.

For what it's worth, both AM, EY and WS have all joined pre-check since WN and, as non-US carriers have somehow managed to wrench their systems into handling pre-check.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

.Also, some of the stuff that I've heard the crews say either during loading/unloading outside of the US or while waiting to go through immigration also left me with that impression.
I actually noticed this on the way down to Mexico City. One of the flight attendants got almost catty with a gentleman who was speaking Spanish, and loudly proclaimed "I DON'T SPEAK SPANISH!" and huffed on down the aisle. It's like they're shocked that their clientele is different and non-English speaking. On the way to Mexico.

I'll also point out that the English and Spanish announcements often gave contradicting information. For instance, upon landing...

ENGLISH: You're entering the United States, all electronic devices must remain turned off until you have cleared immigration and customs.

SPANISH: Welcome to Houston, you may now use your electronic devices if they are within reach, but please keep your carry-on items stowed securely, etc. etc.

A lot of work to do indeed.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Do they not have separate full service counters for international flights at Atlanta? Granted I don't think they have that many international flights left out of there.
In fact, they actually do. However, they're located in the International Terminal. The desk isn't always staffed, and my first flight was to a domestic destination. I get the feeling that I would have been directed to the Domestic Terminal, anyway. And it's not a short trek between the two, especially outside of security.

Now here's a question, the answer to which might yield something useful ...
DL has the ability to process both domestic and international check-ins (with and without baggage) at the International Terminal. Does anyone know if WN has that same capability? If so, does anyone know when that desk is staffed? Concourse C is about equidistant from either terminal, so this could be a real time saver.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
I don't think any Airline will accept bags without passport confirmation.

There are bigger issues at play. Passport expiration date (plus the required past departure) and condition of passport. Damaged passports are refused at many destinations.

Pulling checked bags as 100% match is required prior to departure possibly drives this.

Self tagging kiosks spreading to more cities might not work for International destinations for the same reason.

It might be a smart move toward Passport cards that are less likely to be damaged and could contain smart chips like credit cards. But there are a ton of Countries that depend on looking at passport stamps (without electronic means) and stamping them. Visas are also an issue that are a long way from being electronic.

Last edited by traveller001; Jul 17, 2016 at 11:35 pm
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by TeoJack
I actually noticed this on the way down to Mexico City. One of the flight attendants got almost catty with a gentleman who was speaking Spanish, and loudly proclaimed "I DON'T SPEAK SPANISH!" and huffed on down the aisle. It's like they're shocked that their clientele is different and non-English speaking. On the way to Mexico.

I'll also point out that the English and Spanish announcements often gave contradicting information. For instance, upon landing...

ENGLISH: You're entering the United States, all electronic devices must remain turned off until you have cleared immigration and customs.

SPANISH: Welcome to Houston, you may now use your electronic devices if they are within reach, but please keep your carry-on items stowed securely, etc. etc.

A lot of work to do indeed.
Yep... Southwest really seems to be in Kindergarten as far as international. And not a particularly fast learner, either.

I'm a big fan of Southwest for domestic travel. However, the thought of dealing with any IRROPS (or WN IT) situation in some distant outpost with a carrier as inexperienced as WN, with zero ability to interline... no thanks.

At least if I'm on a legacy carrier somewhere far, far away, there are always multiple options (oneworld, star, and whatever that other one is ) to get there/get home when something goes awry. That matters.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Yep... Southwest really seems to be in Kindergarten as far as international. And not a particularly fast learner, either.
Yuu'd think they might have taken advantage of those new employees they acquired from Airtran who had International experience, but that would have been too easy.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by spongenotbob

I'm a big fan of Southwest for domestic travel. However, the thought of dealing with any IRROPS (or WN IT) situation in some distant outpost with a carrier as inexperienced as WN, with zero ability to interline... no thanks.

At least if I'm on a legacy carrier somewhere far, far away, there are always multiple options (oneworld, star, and whatever that other one is ) to get there/get home when something goes awry. That matters.
Exactly...flying out of loyalty when you have to make 2 extra stops to get there AND have to wait in line for an hour to drop a bag...sounds like a not too smart way of thinking about loyalty. Fly the airline that meets your needs for each itinerary. Don't just blindly stick to one airline--adding lots of time and inconvenience to the trip and then acting surprised that you were inconvenienced.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: WN RR, B6 TrueBlue, AA, NK
Ha, I was actually thinking of a couple of instances where a line like that was said and I just felting like shaking my head. Also, some of the stuff that I've heard the crews say either during loading/unloading outside of the US or while waiting to go through immigration also left me with that impression.

Ironically, at least in my experience the ticket agents and gate agents outside of the US seem to be better prepared *except* for when it comes time to actually board the flights. Boarding full flights out of MEX and SJO felt like free-for-alls with little regard to actual boarding positions.
I must second that entire experience, I've seen a few WN employees act like a passport is a foreign document they've never seen before. I did notice boarding for CUN via ATL they were not opening passports during boarding, just looking for them in hand which means there could have been a document switch.

Also their contractors in outside stations probably deal with only 100% international flights are a bit more used to dealing with international passengers and assigned seating boarding . I'm sure some WN agents would have a nervous break down dealing with a large common use terminal like BKK or SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.