Search

Improved Wi-Fi performance lately

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:18 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Improved Wi-Fi performance lately

Once logged on, I haven't had any problems with Southwest's Wi-Fi in a couple of months. I have even started watching Netflix on board, virtually hiccup-free. (I thought streaming video was supposed to be blocked, but it worked fine for two 45-minute shows.)

I'm pretty sure something has changed but I don't know what.

Has anyone else seen a major improvement?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:38 am

Nope, invariably still awful 2-4x weekly intra-CA. In fact, I've had an increasing number of problems just logging on - I keep getting redirected back to the wifi home page when I try to connect for free using A+ info. Truly awful service.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:44 am

Sigh. Every time someone posts something like this I get excited and I pay the $8 and try the wifi again and then I end up disappointed. Again.

On every flight I do a test and try to load the southwest.com page, and I've seen no noticeable improvement recently.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
The performance has been marginally improved in the last few months until last Saturday, a very heavy travel day. On Saturday I was unable to log into the A+ free wifi. Like smmrfld above, the system just kept looping me back to the main login screen. I had experienced this before, but not in the last 6 months or so.

Tomorrow I fly LAX to MCO and if the A+ wifi is not working, I will pay the $8 and ask for a refund.

It is my belief that the system shuts off the A+ login option when it is overloaded with paying customers.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dlaue
The performance has been marginally improved in the last few months until last Saturday, a very heavy travel day. On Saturday I was unable to log into the A+ free wifi. Like smmrfld above, the system just kept looping me back to the main login screen. I had experienced this before, but not in the last 6 months or so.

Tomorrow I fly LAX to MCO and if the A+ wifi is not working, I will pay the $8 and ask for a refund.

It is my belief that the system shuts off the A+ login option when it is overloaded with paying customers.
I've had this same issue. What I've found is that it appears the "getconnected" landing URL is housed locally on the plane, so it loads quickly. This includes the page where you enter payment info. However, the A+ login page appears to be housed elsewhere (on a server somewhere not on the plane) and therefore does not always load properly when the internet connection (as opposed to the local wifi connection) is acting up. I believe the A+ login page simply adds your MAC address to a list for the day. I have had success on my phone and iPad by disconnecting from the plane's wifi, going to the A+ login page using my cellular connection (AT&T in my case), and logging in. This seems to register the MAC address on the list. Then, I reconnect to the plane's wifi and am able to access the internet--to the extent it is working, which is usually not very well.

Obviously this approach would not work if you are using a laptop, iPad, or other device without a cellular connection. But it has worked for me a few times when I kept getting looped back to the landing page when trying to log in via the plane's wifi.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
In my experience, it is less sucky than it used to be.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:57 pm

It looks like different options are being considered.

https://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/20...-technologies/
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by mek17
I've had this same issue. What I've found is that it appears the "getconnected" landing URL is housed locally on the plane, so it loads quickly. This includes the page where you enter payment info. However, the A+ login page appears to be housed elsewhere (on a server somewhere not on the plane) and therefore does not always load properly when the internet connection (as opposed to the local wifi connection) is acting up. I believe the A+ login page simply adds your MAC address to a list for the day. I have had success on my phone and iPad by disconnecting from the plane's wifi, going to the A+ login page using my cellular connection (AT&T in my case), and logging in. This seems to register the MAC address on the list. Then, I reconnect to the plane's wifi and am able to access the internet--to the extent it is working, which is usually not very well.

Obviously this approach would not work if you are using a laptop, iPad, or other device without a cellular connection. But it has worked for me a few times when I kept getting looped back to the landing page when trying to log in via the plane's wifi.
Aboard 4467. Still not working. Tried your trick, but no dice. Paid $8.😡
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I hope they also add coverage outside of the CONUS. What's the point of having satellite over ground based if you can't use it to any of the Carribean or Mexico destinations?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Nope, invariably still awful 2-4x weekly intra-CA. In fact, I've had an increasing number of problems just logging on - I keep getting redirected back to the wifi home page when I try to connect for free using A+ info. Truly awful service.
Still totally hit or miss. Flight from SJC -AUS last. Week the wifi login did the same as above. Flight home-pathetically slow.

SJC - LAX today was marginal but slow.

LAX - SJC right now moderate performance above average.

I'll judge this again after my flights on Friday and next Tuesday.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:13 pm

PHX-LAS today; didn't pay because I couldn't get the Southwest.com page to load. Overheard pax across the aisle ask the FA why the wifi didn't work; reply was that she'd have the pilots reset it. (?) Checked again later and still no go.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:52 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Another day, another flight with flawless WiFi. Streamed 55 minutes of Netflix.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Another day, another flight with flawless WiFi. Streamed 55 minutes of Netflix.
What airline?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:11 pm

Same issue w A+ log-in today OAK-SNA. Whole row was complaining about it.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:43 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by smmrfld
What airline?
I haven't flown another airline than WN for a domestic trip in a couple years, and that was a 4500 point next day booking using Avios.

Apparently I've been getting a subset of WN aircraft with high-performance WiFi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.