Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hassled in A-List line by SFO gate agent ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP

Need some help here. I suspect this has been covered. If so, just link to the thread. I'm A-List Preferred.

I arrived this morning at SFO with my significant other (SO) in tow. We did Bay to Breakers yesterday. We are on the same flight, SFO->SAN and it was delayed, as always, from this so called airport. I booked her return flight on points but paid for my flight. The agent, who was having a *VERY* bad day and taking it out on the passengers, hassled me for checking my SO's bag after mine in the A-List line. He claimed that since the bookings were separate, I'm not allowed to do this.

First, I am totally unapologetic. I'm going to keep doing this whether or not SWA likes it or not. I'm A-List Preferred and not some yokel-short-on-time trying to cheat the priority line. And I'm going to be snotty to the any gate agent who tries to enforce this silly rule. This doesn't seem like a battle that Herb would pick.

Second, I submit is is impossible to book the same flight for two people and pay for one with points and one with a CC while keeping the same confirmation number. So even if I wanted to play nice, it is impossible.

Side note: The gate agent didn't like to looks of my luggage and made me sign the stupid wavier. He was REALLY, REALLY having a bad day.

Comments?

PS -- After all of this, I saved her a middle seat. But that is a different thread ...

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; May 18, 2015 at 7:00 pm
Old May 18, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Why do you need 1 confirmation number for both flights?

Why didn't you just check both bags under your ticket, as I always do with my wife?
Old May 18, 2015, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
Why do you need 1 confirmation number for both flights?

Why didn't you just check both bags under your ticket, as I always do with my wife?
I was returning from an around the world business trip and had two bags. I had three to check for two people. So I needed to do 2+1 to avoid bag charges.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Need some help here. I suspect this has been covered. If so, just link to the thread. I'm A-List Preferred.

I arrived this morning at SFO with my significant other (SO) in tow. We did Bay to Breakers yesterday. We are on the same flight, SFO->SAN and it was delayed, as always, from this so called airport. I booked her return flight on points but paid for my flight. The agent, who was having a *VERY* bad day and taking it out on the passengers, hassled me for checking my SO's bag after mine in the A-List line. He claimed that since the bookings were separate, I'm not allowed to do this.

First, I am totally unapologetic. I'm going to keep doing this whether or not SWA likes it or not. I'm A-List Preferred and not some yokel-short-on-time trying to cheat the priority line. And I'm going to be snotty to the any gate agent who tries to enforce this silly rule. This doesn't seem like a battle that Herb would pick.

Second, I submit is is impossible to book the same flight for two people and pay for one with points and one with a CC while keeping the same confirmation number. So even if I wanted to play nice, it is impossible.

Side note: The gate agent didn't like to looks of my luggage and made me sign the stupid wavier. He was REALLY, REALLY having a bad day.

Comments?
As of day-after-tomorrow, Herb will have been retired for 7 years.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:23 pm

As is so often the case, I'd love to hear the story from the agent's perspective.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Don't feel bad. I've gotten flak for using the Fly-By line at the PHL counter with nobody in tow. More than once.

I guess they don't like to walk to the other end of the counter. Sorry, I didn't put the line there.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:11 pm

Need some help here.
I'm puzzled as to what you want. Are you seeking for people to validate your behavior?

Honestly, why would anyone spend much time responding when you state that you're not going to change and are willing to "be snotty to any gate agent"? Disagreeing with a policy/rule does not mean you should act boorish to the people who enforce them. It's not their fault.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: none
DYKWIA much?
Old May 18, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Allan38103
DYKWIA much?
+∞
Old May 19, 2015, 7:55 am

Comments?
You sound like a real peach.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
OK I am confused why you check your bags with the Gate Agent why not use the ticket counter a list check in

Oh unless you are coming from an international flight and don't want to go out security but I thought you had to after customs
Old May 19, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Allan38103
DYKWIA much?
I have some sympathy for the OP. On every airline where I've ever had status, I have been able to bring a companion in the "priority" check-in line. Some airlines will also "link" two PNRs to make it clear that the person in the other PNR is in the same party as the elite member. It sounds like the agent had a bad attitude (although I would not have pressed the issue too much).
Old May 19, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum

Comments?

PS -- After all of this, I saved her a middle seat. But that is a different thread ...
Yeah that's silly to think you would separate your party as a "perk"... P.S Try OAK-SAN, I am 29/30 no delays and BART goes straight there now.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Press Release about incident at SFO

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

FlyerTalk PR
www.flyertalk.com

High Tech Executive shamed over despicable behavior in Fly-By Priority Line at SFO
San Francisco, California, May 19, 2105

High Tech executive mike_la_jolla is being ruthlessly shamed on the Internet for behavior so obnoxious, so despicable, and so inhuman that we at FlyerTalk PR are having trouble finding words to match his inappropriate actions.

“He is A-List Preferred, and he tried to check in his wife in the ‘Fly-By Priority’ lane. This action, EVERYBODY knows, is prohibited since she wasn’t on the same confirmation number", said the SFO Southwest Airlines gate attendant, who asked to remain anonymous. “I was already having a very bad day”, he continued, “and he just ruined it with this contemptible behavior.” His actions delayed better behaved passengers, who were waiting patiently in line, by 60 seconds or more.

In a thread on FlyerTalk, the abuse poured in, at times reaching epic proportions both in size and volume. “You sound like a real peach” said Nirvana91. “DYKWIA” was a common theme, mindlessly parroted by several posters attempting to be cute and snarky. Private messages referred him to this YouTube video:
. There was a discussion that a new circle of Dante’s Hell should be created as punishment (between 4 and 5 seemed to be the consensus).

mike_la_jolla couldn't be reached for comment.

Addendum: The abuse continues unmitigated as the Internet hordes rush to insult the unrepentant traveler: OP sound like a jerk

# # #

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; May 19, 2015 at 4:15 pm
Old May 19, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I'm A-List Preferred and not some yokel-short-on-time...
You lost me right there. Hope your bag's in Cambodia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.