Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Experiences on getting companion pass a second time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite

Does anyone have experience with cancelling an SWA VISA, waiting a few months, then getting a new one under the same SSN? How many months do you have to wait between cancelling and getting a new card under that SSN to be reasonably assured you will get the 50k or 60k bonus again?

If your SO was on your card, but s/he wasn't the primary, could s/he apply for a card on his/her SSN and RR# and get the 50k-60k points immediately? Could s/he apply under her SSN but your RR#?

Thanks!

(Have had CP from June 2014 to December 2015 and would like it to continue, preferably another 2 years to end of 2017!)
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by FCfree
Does anyone have experience with cancelling an SWA VISA, waiting a few months, then getting a new one under the same SSN? How many months do you have to wait between cancelling and getting a new card under that SSN to be reasonably assured you will get the 50k or 60k bonus again?

If your SO was on your card, but s/he wasn't the primary, could s/he apply for a card on his/her SSN and RR# and get the 50k-60k points immediately? Could s/he apply under her SSN but your RR#?

Thanks!

(Have had CP from June 2014 to December 2015 and would like it to continue, preferably another 2 years to end of 2017!)
I believe you have to wait 2 years after the date you cancelled the card to get a bonus again.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by cloney
I believe you have to wait 2 years after the date you cancelled the card to get a bonus again.
That would seem reasonable.

If I remember correctly, when I added my wife, I did not have to give her SSN. If that is true, then could she apply for a card under her SSN and get the 50k-60k miles right now? It would seem so. It would only be a $69-$99 gamble to find out.

Would it have to be her RR# or could it be to my RR#?

You could Ping-Pong back and forth between a husband and wife every two years using that method?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:36 am

Other threads indicate you can get a sign-up bonus two years after your previous sign-up bonus; it can be a short time after cancelling the card.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
"would like it to continue, preferably another 2 years to end of 2017!"

You need to wait to apply until late 2015 and then get your $2000 spending completed in January 2016 to get maximum time with CP.

Your wife can apply with her SSN but it must be with her RR#; she cannot apply for Credit card as primary and use your RR#.

We just did this and it worked without a hitch.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The standard terms from Chase, which controls the policy on awarding these bonus points, specify that you are not eligible for the bonus if you open your account within 24 months of having received a bonus for the same type of card. I'm not sure it's specified anywhere how long after closing an account you can apply to reopen it. As a data point, I've done it a few times with Chase with my old account closed for about 1.5 months.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:42 pm

There are 4 different SW cards. 2 personal and 2 business. You might consider getting a different card than last time.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
The Plus Business card seem so to have gone MIA.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone. This was really helpful.

I can make two years from bonus received, along with letting the wife sign up keep at least one of us in the CP status all the time.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
A slightly different question: I just got a companion pass two days ago and wanted to double check that canceling my personal card would not impact the companion status.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
A slightly different question: I just got a companion pass two days ago and wanted to double check that canceling my personal card would not impact the companion status.
The Card has nothing to do with The Companion Pass or any points in your account.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:51 am

interesting.... I switch with my Dh,so far so good, first I had the pass for 1.5 years, then I had it for DH,now It's my turn again... after this I'm not sure if it's doable again....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.