Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Blog post "11 Reasons Why Southwest Is the Best Airline You're Probably Not Flying"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blog post "11 Reasons Why Southwest Is the Best Airline You're Probably Not Flying"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Best airline/value in the air EXCEPT for being on-time.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
My favorites of Southwest:

* No change fees
* First 2 checked bags are free - I steered someone to Southwest because of this
* Free snacks - small benefit but nice to have when other airlines (except for Delta) give no free snacks
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
Originally Posted by bobunf
My list of WM advantages

#1 NO change fees. That is sooo appreciated when you absolutely have to change to an earlier or later flight, or even cancel. $150 or $200 to cancel is just a rip-off. That means you AA, UA and just everybody else. WN captures me on this alone if they have a flight within a day or a hundred miles of when and where I have to go.

#2 The frequent flyer program. You can actually use the points. Youre not faced with, No flight available in the next 100 days. The points are easy to earn AND use.

#3 The Companion Pass. Unlimited free flights for a year not just one.

#4 The Boarding System. You can sit where you want. Status, early bird or just checking in at T-24:00 will get you an aisle or window in the front, middle or back. No extra fees for a good seat. Just generally NO FEES.

#5 Family Friendly Boarding. Save your wife a seat or board with the little kids. You can sit together with family.

#6 Two free checked bags per passenger. My wife insists on checking one or more bags, and when traveling with the grandkids, they bring a whole lot.

#7 You can call them; they answer the phone (usually); and they dont charge you $25.

#8 You really dont feel that they are trying to scam you, unlike most of the others.
Agree with all of this with the following notes:

#1 No change fees also allows me to rebook during sales and bank the savings.
#2 & #3 Booking reward flights is easy and Companion pass super easy. Try booking a free ticket or upgrade on United or AA; systems architected to frustrate.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Former Airtran guy here. Been on SW A List since last October. It seemed like a lazy compilation. Let me start off my list
POSITIVES:
1) Getting credit for canceled flights. I love this part. I have come to peace with WN mainly because of this feature. I just changed my mom's flight on the return because something came up and no tension in worrying about a change fee. If there is anything that makes this airline stand out, it's this. My only concern is if such a policy encourages people to book the low fare tickets quickly and some of us lose out on them because they get sold out faster to those just booking tickets on a hunch they might travel. I don't know enough about Southwest's fare buckets to know for sure if this is a factor or not. I wouldn't mind a compromise between this and the standby policy. IN return for a modest change free ($20), make standby easier and cheaper .
2) THe two free bags. This is not as a huge deal for me because most FF programs let you have at least the first bag for free. But good for the casual traveler. I think one free bag is more than enough to give us the benefit of no stuffed overheads in the flight.

What I don't like
1) Lack of assigned seating. It's all well and good to say you have a choice. But that means I not only have to worry about making the flight on time , but I have to be there at the gate a good 35 minutes or so before the flight every time I fly in order to get a decent seat. My status goes to waste if I show up a mere couple of minutes after boarding starts.
2) ONly one exit row has enough leg room. There is that odd seat with a lot of leg room on the left side. Most airlines have 4 good aisle exit row seats where you have both the height and the width accomodated.
3) Stopovers: Yeah, what good is my status if all the good exit row seats are already taken by passengers flying through?
4) Their Standby policy.

Overrated:
1) The cheap fares. Fares have gone up for some of us. Delta seems not worried about low fares in ATL after WN took over. Though I do see WN getting better at promotions here in ATL.
2) ON time? I noticed as much or more delays with WN than Airtran. Compared to delta here, the delays seem about the same for me. Sure anecdotal, but I don't think the writer of that article used any hard data either.
3) Service: At least in ATL, i see a downgrade in service in airport services. Flight attendants are corny. It doesn't mean they are better just because they try too hard to be amateur standup comics. I am sure some like it. I don't care either way. Some are funny, some are annoying. It's a push for me.

Last edited by saneman; Apr 21, 2015 at 5:19 pm
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, AA Gold
#11 is spot on. Sipping on Fat Tire on my way from the midwest to the west coast is about as relaxing as flying can get imho.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
saneman's list is quite accurate, except for the standby policy. Ever since they started giving top priority to A-List Preferred members, I don't need to worry about missing my flight! YMMV.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
you still get a leather seat one that's plenty spacious for the average traveler.
Do NOT agree with this at all. Devolve seats suck!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bobunf
My list of WM advantages

#1 – NO change fees. That is sooo appreciated when you absolutely have to change to an earlier or later flight, or even cancel. $150 or $200 to cancel is just a rip-off. That means you AA, UA and just everybody else. WN captures me on this alone if they have a flight within a day or a hundred miles of when and where I have to go.

#2 – The frequent flyer program. You can actually use the points. You’re not faced with, “No flight available in the next 100 days.” The points are easy to earn AND use.

#3 – The Companion Pass. Unlimited free flights for a year – not just one.

#4 – The Boarding System. You can sit where you want. Status, early bird or just checking in at T-24:00 will get you an aisle or window in the front, middle or back. No extra fees for a “good” seat. Just generally NO FEES.

#5 – Family Friendly Boarding. Save your wife a seat or board with the little kids. You can sit together with family.

#6 – Two free checked bags per passenger. My wife insists on checking one or more bags, and when traveling with the grandkids, they bring a whole lot.

#7 – You can call them; they answer the phone (usually); and they don’t charge you $25.

#8 – You really don’t feel that they are trying to scam you, unlike most of the others.
2-but, you can't use those miles to go to Asia in CX/JL F
4 is also true on AA (I can get good seats without paying fees as a status holder)
5 is irrelevant to me as I travel alone >90% of the time
6 I also get as a status holder on UA/AA (admittedly, on UA, only one on domestic.)
7-AA EXP line is generally very fast (unfortunately, many of my calls recently have been with BA/CX which have wait times just as bad, and for BA, an 0844 number if you are non status in the UK, though I do use Skype as a workaround.)
8-their tickets are often more expensive
Don't forget about no lounges.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
2-but, you can't use those miles to go to Asia in CX/JL F
4 is also true on AA (I can get good seats without paying fees as a status holder)
5 is irrelevant to me as I travel alone >90% of the time
6 I also get as a status holder on UA/AA (admittedly, on UA, only one on domestic.)
7-AA EXP line is generally very fast (unfortunately, many of my calls recently have been with BA/CX which have wait times just as bad, and for BA, an 0844 number if you are non status in the UK, though I do use Skype as a workaround.)
8-their tickets are often more expensive
Don't forget about no lounges.
2. Not everyone needs or values international reward travel. And how many miles do those trips in F cost?

4/6. Most people flying on AA, UA don't have enough status to get those privileges.

As for lounges, yes some are very nice (AF lounge at CDG is awesome) and some are, meh. And on domestic itineraries, access to lounges are restricted to the very most elite FF customers. F-class with no status? No admission.

Last edited by texashoser; Apr 23, 2015 at 10:54 am
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:51 am

I've probably changed or added flights about 3x for each trip by now...love the no change fees.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alggag
This guy sounds a bit like my brother: somebody that flies WN enough to appreciate their positive qualities but not quite enough to get frustrated with their shortcomings or whenever they mess up.
I think that is true with ALL airlines. Fly one long enough, screw-ups will happen. And there is some truth to the cliche, "familiarity breeds contempt."
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Their staff are friendly, DAL smokes DFW in terms of design and traveler comfort for the common man, and they seem to do a better job at moving people from A to B in a timely manner than AA. I'll definitely be price shopping AA against WN from now on.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
In item #7 Landsel (the author) quips:

"There seems to be a dearth of casual travelers stumbling onto the planes trying to figure out what the hell they've gotten themselves into. "

I disagree. The type of traveler you see on Southwest flights depends heavily on the route, time of week, and time of day.
Yeah, I'm not sure what he was getting at either. Isn't one of the prevailing stereotypes about Southwest (besides of course the "Cattle Call" boarding) is that its planes are packed with clueless yokels who ordinarily would never fly anywhere but were lured onboard by low fares? Thus crowding up the place with their stumbling.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec, UA Gold
Was a UA exclusive for 10 years with Gold status until recently. Just took 5 flights on WN in the past 7 days. Pleasantly surprised. Someone on the UA forum challenged me to explain my switch to another carrier...cross-posted from the UA forum here because it is my personal WN pro/con list.

1 - had to cancel a personal segment valued at $86 BUR-DEN after work travel sked changed and required me to continue on to next dest from LA area. On WN I keep the $86 for future itin, would've flat out lost it on UA ($200 change fee + fare diff). Advantage: WN
2 - no status, checked bag, no fee. Had free bags on UA: Tie.
3 - open seating. Got exit row on 2 of 5 segments. Even with UA Silver I could've confirmed that at check in or gotten E+. "Regular" WN seats (all were the Evolve series) were adequately comfy. Still hate open seating and lining up is a circus. Advantage: UA
4 - Called Cust Service 3 times; no wait time, pleasant and helpful staff. Less of a wait than Premier Desk. Advantage: WN
5 - Weather-related IRROPS, would've missed connection at MDW on Friday. Changed itin to new routing on Saturday. Wouldve been the same on UA (no fee change w/in 24hr departure for Premiers). Tie.
6 - Landside staff. Only interacted with staff at Bag Drop kiosks. They appeared to be actual WN staff and not Airserv contractors and probably could've helped if I needed more than to drop a bag. To me, subbing out staff positions at the counter looks cheap. but we know Jeff is cheap. Advantage: WN (barely)
7 - Airside staff. A few used the mic at the gate like it was a stand up comedy show. I kinda just want to board and fly. Advantage: UA
8 - Inflight. DANG these FAs are happy and nice! Snacks on every segment. Short haul: peanuts only. Medium haul: peanuts and pretzels. Long haul: peanuts, pretzels, choice of chips/crackers bag. The crew genuinely seemed to enjoy what they were doing. Nice people. Advantage: WN.
9 - Ramp. Bags up at carousels within 5 minutes of arriving at baggage claim. Given the recent ramp circus at DEN on UA...Advantage: WN.
10 - IFE. Free basic cable! Advantage: WN.

For how I travel - exclusively domestic, out of DEN (longest flight 4 hrs), with cost restrictions placed by my employer (no more than $150 over lowest fare available) WN may work nicely for me.

Maybe I will change my mind. But the gift in losing my Gold status was opening up OALs for my consideration. What I found was that WN wasn't nearly as bad as I'd envisioned (Wal-Mart in the sky, a bus with wings), and, in some aspects (specifically cust service and inflight) outpaced UA substantially.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Michael El
Do NOT agree with this at all. Devolve seats suck!
OT warning!

My last flight had the old seats. (Also no WiFi.) I had forgotten how roomy it was. I could even use my tray table! It was so last decade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.