FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Blog post "11 Reasons Why Southwest Is the Best Airline You're Probably Not Flying"
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:30 am
sean5280

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec, UA Gold
Was a UA exclusive for 10 years with Gold status until recently. Just took 5 flights on WN in the past 7 days. Pleasantly surprised. Someone on the UA forum challenged me to explain my switch to another carrier...cross-posted from the UA forum here because it is my personal WN pro/con list.

1 - had to cancel a personal segment valued at $86 BUR-DEN after work travel sked changed and required me to continue on to next dest from LA area. On WN I keep the $86 for future itin, would've flat out lost it on UA ($200 change fee + fare diff). Advantage: WN
2 - no status, checked bag, no fee. Had free bags on UA: Tie.
3 - open seating. Got exit row on 2 of 5 segments. Even with UA Silver I could've confirmed that at check in or gotten E+. "Regular" WN seats (all were the Evolve series) were adequately comfy. Still hate open seating and lining up is a circus. Advantage: UA
4 - Called Cust Service 3 times; no wait time, pleasant and helpful staff. Less of a wait than Premier Desk. Advantage: WN
5 - Weather-related IRROPS, would've missed connection at MDW on Friday. Changed itin to new routing on Saturday. Wouldve been the same on UA (no fee change w/in 24hr departure for Premiers). Tie.
6 - Landside staff. Only interacted with staff at Bag Drop kiosks. They appeared to be actual WN staff and not Airserv contractors and probably could've helped if I needed more than to drop a bag. To me, subbing out staff positions at the counter looks cheap. but we know Jeff is cheap. Advantage: WN (barely)
7 - Airside staff. A few used the mic at the gate like it was a stand up comedy show. I kinda just want to board and fly. Advantage: UA
8 - Inflight. DANG these FAs are happy and nice! Snacks on every segment. Short haul: peanuts only. Medium haul: peanuts and pretzels. Long haul: peanuts, pretzels, choice of chips/crackers bag. The crew genuinely seemed to enjoy what they were doing. Nice people. Advantage: WN.
9 - Ramp. Bags up at carousels within 5 minutes of arriving at baggage claim. Given the recent ramp circus at DEN on UA...Advantage: WN.
10 - IFE. Free basic cable! Advantage: WN.

For how I travel - exclusively domestic, out of DEN (longest flight 4 hrs), with cost restrictions placed by my employer (no more than $150 over lowest fare available) WN may work nicely for me.

Maybe I will change my mind. But the gift in losing my Gold status was opening up OALs for my consideration. What I found was that WN wasn't nearly as bad as I'd envisioned (Wal-Mart in the sky, a bus with wings), and, in some aspects (specifically cust service and inflight) outpaced UA substantially.