Search

Southwest's snacks suck

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by dlaue
3 1/2 months more until honey roasted.
You disgust me....

In other news, we really need that "What is the stupidest, least substantive thing you could complain about" thread.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It's how you get between terminals and out to the car rental place at SFO.

As far as I know, they've never served snacks.
Don't be silly.

It's called AirTRAIN LOL
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:11 am

For decent snacks in coach, hard to beat Jet Blue.

and if you want to have something close to a Big Front Seat, pop for an Even More Space seat.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Oh, please.Predictable tut tuts about "trivial" posts. Guess what. this is an internet forum. You can't have all serious topics. Did I say that this is a benefit that needs to stay? Hell no. I would rather see Southwest do away with snacks than give us crap. It will at least save me the trouble of sayin no whenever the FAs come by my seat. Gives me uninterrupted nap time at least. If you like the snacks, say so. Don't tell me what my sense of priority should be. If they decide to serve only the worst drinks ever, don't tell me you wont see any postings on flyertalk.

Hell, I was one of those who thinks all domestic airlines should just do away with cart service and just have a bucket full of small water bottles at the gate entrance. It is cheaper, healthier and less work for FAs who have enough to do. The only thing an airline has a moral obligation is to store drinking water on demand once you are on board.

But if you are going to show me a freaking snack basket as if I have a selection of delightful items, then guess what, I am going to make fun of it if you are going to serve me crap. And this is what this post was about. When I saw the FA carrying that basket around with no one touching the vast majority of the "premium" snacks and opting for the good old standards - Biscoff and mini pretzels, you wonder why they even go through the pretense of carrying premium snacks. (I know it's based on my AirTran experience, but I am told they offer the same on WN long hauls and this reflects on WN's management style of thinking). Funny thing is WN management doesn't save even a dollar per BC passenger on AirTran by switching from the better snacks to the terrible ones. If you want to save money, just get rid of the snacks fully. But no, we are WN and we don't try to learn what works on other airlines.

Last edited by saneman; Sep 22, 2014 at 7:10 am
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:33 am

Back on topic.

On a recent flight in addition to peanuts and pretzels they were serving some kind on 100 calorie mixed snack sorta like Chex Mix, but not as good.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:15 am

Easy to solve. Fly any other airline that does not offer free snacks in coach. Solve two problems, you won't feel pressure to eat it, and you will be able to find something substantial to worry about.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by saneman
Oh, please.Predictable tut tuts about "trivial" posts.
Ironic username, bro! Keep your posts coming...they're a crackup!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Oh, please, give the OP a break.

There are plenty of us who were devout AirTran biz class fliers for years so yeah, it's sad that a great product has been taken away from us -- especially those in ATL -- as we've watched WN replace all of the great things about FL with utter crap. And their low-rent snacks (and water in a CAN???) is just the start.

In the grand scheme of things, is this the most important event taking place in the aviation industry? Of course not. And OP never claimed that. He's just pointing out another example of how WN is no FL -- esp for Elites used to BC service -- and never will be.

And yes, we know we can fly other airlines, so spare us the comments about the obvious solution about taking our business elsewhere.

This is a forum where all sorts of issues, complaints, questions and commendations are shared...so let him share.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by melissaru
another example of how WN is no FL
True. WN will remain a viable entity. FL...eh, not so much.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by saneman
Oh, please.Predictable tut tuts about "trivial" posts. Guess what. this is an internet forum. You can't have all serious topics. Did I say that this is a benefit that needs to stay? Hell no. I would rather see Southwest do away with snacks than give us crap. It will at least save me the trouble of sayin no whenever the FAs come by my seat. Gives me uninterrupted nap time at least. If you like the snacks, say so. Don't tell me what my sense of priority should be. If they decide to serve only the worst drinks ever, don't tell me you wont see any postings on flyertalk.

Hell, I was one of those who thinks all domestic airlines should just do away with cart service and just have a bucket full of small water bottles at the gate entrance. It is cheaper, healthier and less work for FAs who have enough to do. The only thing an airline has a moral obligation is to store drinking water on demand once you are on board.

But if you are going to show me a freaking snack basket as if I have a selection of delightful items, then guess what, I am going to make fun of it if you are going to serve me crap. And this is what this post was about. When I saw the FA carrying that basket around with no one touching the vast majority of the "premium" snacks and opting for the good old standards - Biscoff and mini pretzels, you wonder why they even go through the pretense of carrying premium snacks. (I know it's based on my AirTran experience, but I am told they offer the same on WN long hauls and this reflects on WN's management style of thinking). Funny thing is WN management doesn't save even a dollar per BC passenger on AirTran by switching from the better snacks to the terrible ones. If you want to save money, just get rid of the snacks fully. But no, we are WN and we don't try to learn what works on other airlines.

I stopped reading this post after "Oh, Please".

Yawnnnn.....
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by SDCA
Don't be silly.

It's called AirTRAIN LOL
Whoosh....
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by melissaru
Oh, please, give the OP a break.

There are plenty of us who were devout AirTran biz class fliers for years so yeah, it's sad that a great product has been taken away from us -- especially those in ATL -- as we've watched WN replace all of the great things about FL with utter crap. And their low-rent snacks (and water in a CAN???) is just the start.

In the grand scheme of things, is this the most important event taking place in the aviation industry? Of course not. And OP never claimed that. He's just pointing out another example of how WN is no FL -- esp for Elites used to BC service -- and never will be.

And yes, we know we can fly other airlines, so spare us the comments about the obvious solution about taking our business elsewhere.

This is a forum where all sorts of issues, complaints, questions and commendations are shared...so let him share.

I ALSO stopped reading after "Oh please".
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:30 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SDCA
It's called AirTRAIN LOL
You mean this one?

Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:54 am

A Swa flight attendant walking thru the cabin handing out snacks: "Bag of sodium, anyone want a bag of sodium." No one paid attention."
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
For the people who have nothing better to do but keep positng about what other posters should not bother writing about: Funny, I just noticed on flyertalk there are other "trivial" discussions about food or water or drinks. Did the subject not tip you off what I was discussing ? Also, do you think I would get the same negative comment about the trivial nature of this thread if I was praising the snacks? I highly doubt it.

Some of you need to heed you own advice about other options. If this subject is beneath your interest level, no one forced you to read this. The title indicates what exactly what I was discussing. I don't go into threads that bore me and then ask the OP why they were wasting my time as long as the title is not misleading.

Actually on a serious business note, rants aside, no issue is trivial for a good business. Read up on people who ran successful hotels or other customer service related businesses. No issue is too small. As a flyer, this is not a big priority for me. But if I were running WN's snack department or whatever it is called, I would be interested in improving it.

Funny, the attitude of some of you reflects the airline you take an interest in regarding AirTran passengers. In contrast, you rarely see anyone bashed on the AirTran forums no matter how trivial the posting is.

Of course not. And OP never claimed that. He's just pointing out another example of how WN is no FL -- esp for Elites used to BC service -- and never will be.
Actually, I wasn't even going that far in this thread. I just wanted to bash their snacks. At this point, I could care less if they discontinue the snack service on both airlines. The initial point was just to have some fun insulting the snacks and wondering out aloud why they would waste money on such snacks, but the thread became about the worthiness of such discussions.

Last edited by saneman; Sep 22, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.