Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can anyone give me a single benefit to being a "preferred" frequent traveler on SW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can anyone give me a single benefit to being a "preferred" frequent traveler on SW?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Beckles
Do you think Delta flights aren't basically all 100% full on Monday mornings and Thursday evenings? Do you think Delta flights always run on time?

By the way, there's a thread over in the Delta forum about how Delta eliminated the SkyPriority line at BNA recently ... sound familiar?
And if the Skypriority lane at BNA is gone, it also means the flyby lane is as well (unless Southwest has a different security checkpoint at BNA, I can't remember).

As far as delay's on other airlines go, it isn't as big of an inconvenience if you aren't connecting. Being MSP based if I am flying on Delta, the flight is probably direct so no worries if it is delayed and I misconnect, where if I am on WN, there is a good possibility I will be connecting and have to be concerned with missing a connection.

At least if a diamond is delayed on Delta they have free skyclub access (if it's a city with a SC) to go to and the diamond desk at Delta and the Platinum desk at American have both been great to work with when I have had severe delays as far as rerouting and sometimes interlining me on another carrier. If you have an irops or severe delay on WN you have no lounge and no chance of interlining on another carrier.

I had a six hour delay on Southwest a few months ago at BNA and was thankful for my diamond status on Delta. While it didn't get me home any faster, it was great being able to use the Skyclub at BNA for free. If I wouldn't have had status on Delta, it would have meant six hours in the BNA concourse.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.
Everyone makes their choices for what is relevant to them. I can tell the OP what is best about WN to me, but it might be useless to them.

FWIW - I love college football, and travel to many of my school's road games. So, I book a reward ticket for each game months before the season (and rebook when the points required drops). This fall we have 5 road games, I know for sure I will go to at least 2, most likely 3-4, and if I get really crazy all 5. I love the fact that I can cancel each trip I end up not needing and getting my points back.

I know this isn't an elite benefit, but it is a benefit the other airlines don't offer and makes me shift some of my business in their direction.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Mike1625
Everyone makes their choices for what is relevant to them. I can tell the OP what is best about WN to me, but it might be useless to them.

FWIW - I love college football, and travel to many of my school's road games. So, I book a reward ticket for each game months before the season (and rebook when the points required drops). This fall we have 5 road games, I know for sure I will go to at least 2, most likely 3-4, and if I get really crazy all 5. I love the fact that I can cancel each trip I end up not needing and getting my points back.

I know this isn't an elite benefit, but it is a benefit the other airlines don't offer and makes me shift some of my business in their direction.
As a Platinum or Diamond on Delta, if you cancel an awards ticket you can cancel and deposit the points for no penalty as long as it's 72 hours in advance (Delta PM's have the same benefit) and IIRC I also have the benefit as an AA Platinum and I'm sure United has the same policy for their higher tiers.

I agree that is a nice benefit for someone that doesn't fly enough for status and the change fee waiver is great for people who need to make a lot of changes to their travel plans, or a frequent flyer that has a fare drop on an already booked ticket and can use the credit later.

One benefit I would miss if I were a WN frequent flyer would be no lifetime status. As a 2MM on Delta, I have annual gold which will be handy when I retire or if I start handing out more of my travel to staff members (and I realize that benefit could go away) and I rarely fly American and have lifetime Platinum thanks to the US Mint and the Citi AA card. I also like being able to gift gold status to my wife

Like you said in the first paragraph, different people find different benefits useful. I like being able to SDC for free, getting upgrades and a free lounge membership and don't care about change fees or the CP. Someone who has a spouse that travels with them a lot (or the same colleague where they can save on airfare) the CP benefit would be a huge moneysaver just like change fees for someone that has travel plans that continually change.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
One benefit I would miss if I were a WN frequent flyer would be no lifetime status.
That's for sure. Well over 1000 flights gives me no status when I stop.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
And if the Skypriority lane at BNA is gone, it also means the flyby lane is as well (unless Southwest has a different security checkpoint at BNA, I can't remember).
Same check point, different entrances and lines.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by nsx
+1
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:16 pm

As a Platinum or Diamond on Delta, if you cancel an awards ticket you can cancel and deposit the points for no penalty as long as it's 72 hours in advance (Delta PM's have the same benefit) and IIRC I also have the benefit as an AA Platinum and I'm sure United has the same policy for their higher tiers.
Sadly on AA its only executive platinum...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by sheidt

So, honestly, what real benefits are there to being a frequent flyer on SW?
Free wifi
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Not a whole lot. The benefits are outlined above, such as free Wi-Fi and better boarding position for no EBCI charge.

You get all the benefits of SWA (no change fee, no bag fees, no blackout dates, etc.) just for joining Rapid Rewards. No "heavy" flying needed.

If you fly enough and someone else is paying the bill and doesn't mind paying your change fees, etc., then yes, those legacy airlines have some nice offerings. For the rest of us, we'll stick with SWA.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:18 pm

I find that I accrue points much more quickly on short flights with Southwest than I would on a legacy.

For example: LA to San Francisco on southwest is ~6000 points if you buy business select; thats ~500 AA miles

Because of that I take southwest for short flights and legacies for long.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, WN A-List Preferred, MR Plat, HH Plat
Well, the fun keeps coming. I just got the text saying that my return flight tonight is delayed 1.5 hours!!! That makes 5 weeks in a row and 6 out of the last 7 being delayed with NONE of those due to weather!!! I called the preferred desk and she told me the reason this week was "operational". It's now become quite comical how terrible they are at being able to hit a decent on-time percentage on afternoon/evening flights! Over these last 7 weeks, I have tried different flights, twice a different destination, some direct, one connecting, but it doesn't seem to matter. No matter what, it appears that afternoon/evening flights will be delayed significantly due to their inability to run an airline.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Amen! After ten years of flying at least two segments every week at a minimum I am about to call it quits. Not that I am tired of SWA, the fact is that I am retiring. I already have lifetime Gold on United. Would be nice to add a lifetime A-List preferred to that resume. Alas after two more flights this chapter in my life will come to a close. Now to figure out how to spend over 1Million SWA points. Two business class tickets to Europe through their program is 1.2M
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by HBFlyer
Now to figure out how to spend over 1 Million SWA points.
How is your golf game? Handicap of 15 or less?

https://swaauction.brandmovers.net/p...ker=PEBBLERREU
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards

I can't remember if it was Delta or American that made a recent announcement that on some aircrafts the restrooms would be smaller to accommodate more seats.
Awhile back, American removed two of the rear lavs on its 767-300s, replacing them with extra Y seats; they also replaced one of the rear galleys in their MD-80s with engine-adjacent Y seating. I don't know that the lavs were made smaller, necessarily.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:16 pm

Enjoy your "real" airline RJ and mega hub connection experience

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.