Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nose gear collapse on landing at LGA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
After listening to the ATC audio I think things could have been more coordinated. The Southwest captain was told to close all plane doors and didn't know why they could not evacuate. ATC dispatcher could only speculate that it was because they wanted to first thoroughly spray the plane. ATC had to keep on trying to get an emergency responder on his frequency to speak Southwest. All that costs valuable time, that in a worse emergency situation, could be a catastrophe.

Edit: After thinking about this, I wonder if this delay was because of the SFO runover. It's a scary thought if crews are not willing to spray fire retardant foam if doors are open/people are evacuating.
ATC Dispatcher? No wonder my family thinks I'm a controller...
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
You can expect nothing else from these idiots in the news.

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”

― Mark Twain
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
ATC Dispatcher? No wonder my family thinks I'm a controller...
My bad, modified my post!!

Tell your family that you also ensure that weather and maintenance never mess up a schedule. Especially that of the first year medical resident who books the last connection of the day (inside FT forum joke there)
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:04 pm

Southwest's official announcement, via Twitter and Facebook:

UPDATE: Southwest Airlines ‪#‎flight345‬ landed at New York’s LaGuardia at 5:40 PM Eastern Monday evening from Nashville. The aircraft is a Boeing 737-700. Eyewitness reports indicate the aircraft’s nosegear collapsed upon landing. There were 150 people on board including Customers and Crew. All Customers have been deplaned and transferred to the terminal. Initial reports indicate local responders are caring for five Customers and three flight attendants who have reported injuries at this time. Southwest is cooperating with local authorities, and the NTSB has been notified.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
I hope to dispel the myth about how it "comes in 3".

Asiana and now SWA. Hope there is no more.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:08 pm

Tell your family that you also ensure that weather and maintenance never mess up a schedule. Especially that of the first year medical resident who books the last connection of the day (inside FT forum joke there)
Oh, yes, and the NWS never gets a forecast wrong, like the drubbing that LAS took the other night...

Your inside joke had me chuckling...
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by SDCA
I hope to dispel the myth about how it "comes in 3".

Asiana and now SWA. Hope there is no more.
Well, the incident in Iceland would make 3 but that's if you don't count the fatal incident that occurred in Alaska the day after the Asiana crash landing. So in other words, it's just a matter of perspective.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
USA Today report from eyewitness says the nose gear was "off the plane," not just collapsed.

Broken off?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by alggag
Well, the incident in Iceland would make 3 but that's if you don't count the fatal incident that occurred in Alaska the day after the Asiana crash landing. So in other words, it's just a matter of perspective.

Oh, I didn't hear or read anything about the Iceland and Alaska incident.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Some more pictures:

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2013/7/...uardia+Airport
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:38 pm

As seen from my already 3-hour delayed flight to ORD on UA685.

Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)

^
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Local Fox News Affiliate Channel 5 reporting that Captain Sum Ting Wong was at the controls. Wait, that was last week...

I feel for the all the passengers waiting in that horrible terminal that Southwest and AirTran (amongst others) are crammed into.

Now WN can't get the math right either? Devolve 143 + 3 + 2 = 148 on board, not 150. Or is it possible there were 2 jumpseaters?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Local Fox News Affiliate Channel 5 reporting that Captain Sum Ting Wong was at the controls. Wait, that was last week...

I feel for the all the passengers waiting in that horrible terminal that Southwest and AirTran (amongst others) are crammed into.

Now WN can't get the math right either? Devolve 143 + 3 + 2 = 148 on board, not 150. Or is it possible there were 2 jumpseaters?
Quite possible--the math works...
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by joshua362
could be lap children, jump seaters, or an FAA inspector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.