Nose gear collapse on landing at LGA

Old Jul 22, 13, 6:49 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
Originally Posted by coachrowsey View Post
You can expect nothing else from these idiots in the news.

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”

― Mark Twain
OPNLguy is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 6:57 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,744
Originally Posted by OPNLguy View Post
ATC Dispatcher? No wonder my family thinks I'm a controller...
My bad, modified my post!!

Tell your family that you also ensure that weather and maintenance never mess up a schedule. Especially that of the first year medical resident who books the last connection of the day (inside FT forum joke there)
expert7700 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:04 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,571
Southwest's official announcement, via Twitter and Facebook:

UPDATE: Southwest Airlines ‪#‎flight345‬ landed at New York’s LaGuardia at 5:40 PM Eastern Monday evening from Nashville. The aircraft is a Boeing 737-700. Eyewitness reports indicate the aircraft’s nosegear collapsed upon landing. There were 150 people on board including Customers and Crew. All Customers have been deplaned and transferred to the terminal. Initial reports indicate local responders are caring for five Customers and three flight attendants who have reported injuries at this time. Southwest is cooperating with local authorities, and the NTSB has been notified.
ursine1 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:07 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Posts: 1,165
I hope to dispel the myth about how it "comes in 3".

Asiana and now SWA. Hope there is no more.
SDCA is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:08 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
My bad, modified my post!!

Tell your family that you also ensure that weather and maintenance never mess up a schedule. Especially that of the first year medical resident who books the last connection of the day (inside FT forum joke there)
Oh, yes, and the NWS never gets a forecast wrong, like the drubbing that LAS took the other night...

Your inside joke had me chuckling...
OPNLguy is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:10 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston (HOU/IAH)
Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Posts: 2,216
Originally Posted by SDCA View Post
I hope to dispel the myth about how it "comes in 3".

Asiana and now SWA. Hope there is no more.
Well, the incident in Iceland would make 3 but that's if you don't count the fatal incident that occurred in Alaska the day after the Asiana crash landing. So in other words, it's just a matter of perspective.
alggag is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:16 pm
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 13,511
USA Today report from eyewitness says the nose gear was "off the plane," not just collapsed.

Broken off?
toomanybooks is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:17 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Posts: 1,165
Originally Posted by alggag View Post
Well, the incident in Iceland would make 3 but that's if you don't count the fatal incident that occurred in Alaska the day after the Asiana crash landing. So in other words, it's just a matter of perspective.

Oh, I didn't hear or read anything about the Iceland and Alaska incident.
SDCA is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:20 pm
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 13,511
Some more pictures:

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2013/7/...uardia+Airport
toomanybooks is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:38 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 93
As seen from my already 3-hour delayed flight to ORD on UA685.


btuttler23 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:46 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PHX (live by CHD and work next to DVT)
Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Posts: 1,292
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
My bad, modified my post!!

Tell your family that you also ensure that weather and maintenance never mess up a schedule. Especially that of the first year medical resident who books the last connection of the day (inside FT forum joke there)
^
SCGustafson is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:59 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Programs: LTP, PP
Posts: 7,849
Local Fox News Affiliate Channel 5 reporting that Captain Sum Ting Wong was at the controls. Wait, that was last week...

I feel for the all the passengers waiting in that horrible terminal that Southwest and AirTran (amongst others) are crammed into.

Now WN can't get the math right either? Devolve 143 + 3 + 2 = 148 on board, not 150. Or is it possible there were 2 jumpseaters?
joshua362 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 8:02 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Local Fox News Affiliate Channel 5 reporting that Captain Sum Ting Wong was at the controls. Wait, that was last week...

I feel for the all the passengers waiting in that horrible terminal that Southwest and AirTran (amongst others) are crammed into.

Now WN can't get the math right either? Devolve 143 + 3 + 2 = 148 on board, not 150. Or is it possible there were 2 jumpseaters?
Quite possible--the math works...
OPNLguy is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 8:28 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,744
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Now WN can't get the math right either? Devolve 143 + 3 + 2 = 148 on board, not 150. Or is it possible there were 2 jumpseaters?
could be lap children, jump seaters, or an FAA inspector.
expert7700 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 13, 8:49 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 4,526
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
I imagine the crew has no advance notice that this would happen, or they would have diverted.
Appears that they did have advance notice and did not divert.

Did the flight deck crew warn everyone to brace for the landing?

Was EWR unavailable as an alternate?
LegalTender is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: