Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight delayed due to too much fuel

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Smile Flight delayed due to too much fuel

Sitting on WN 1193 BWI-ORF 8:15 departure they boarded us early because it was a light flight and thought we could get out early. But, someone was asleep at the switch and loaded 44k pounds of fuel. Captain said we could fly to South America. Scheduled flight is 35 mins at 16k feet. Unloading fuel now.

While I was typing this post-on the plane waiting -wn called to alert me of the delay.

How many points should I ask for? 15k min? Before I get flamed I am just kidding. Its only a 30 min delay.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors DIA
Maybe it was a test load for those new European flights out of BWI
Old May 3, 2012, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Sitting on WN 1193 BWI-ORF 8:15 departure they boarded us early because it was a light flight and thought we could get out early. But, someone was asleep at the switch and loaded 44k pounds of fuel. Captain said we could fly to South America. Scheduled flight is 35 mins at 16k feet. Unloading fuel now.
What usually happens to create a situation like this isn't that the aircraft gets overfueled, per se, but that the aircraft was fueled for a previous flight, say, BWI-PHX, that was of longer duration than BWI-ORF. If the aircraft was going BWI-PHX but then had a mechanical issue that grounded it, a new aircraft would have been utilized for BWI-PHX. Once the original aircraft came back into service, and it gets plugged back into the schedule but on a shorter flight (like BWI-ORF) it could have had too much fuel onboard, requiring some to be offloaded.

The reason weight becomes an issue is because aircraft have multiple weight limitations, all of which must be observed. The main two are max takeoff weight (MTOW) and maximum landing weight (MLW). The MTOW is always higher than the MLW, since the design engineers factor-in that MTOW considers the weight of all the fuel being carried that gets the aircraft to the destination, where, naturally, you'd have consumed that fuel and be landing at MLW.

As an example, let's assume that the MTOW at BWI is 140,000 lbs. and the MLW (landing anywhere) is 120,000 lbs., and that it takes 5,000 lbs of fuel to fly BWI-ORF. If one loaded up the flight at BWI such that it weighed 140,000 lbs. it'd be able to get off the ground OK, but after consuming the 5,000 lbs. to get to ORF, the aircraft would arrive weighing 135,000 lbs., or some 15,000 lbs. over the MLW. The way to prevent this is to limit the MTOW by the MLW, or in this case, a 120,000 lb MLW plus the 5,000 which equals 125,000 lbs. Even though the aircraft could get 140,000 lbs off the runway at BWI, limiting the MTOW to 125,000 ensures you'll arrive ORF at 120,000 lbs.

If your aircraft had been originally scheduled for a longer flight that would have used 20,000 lbs. of fuel to get to its destination, the two weights would have been the same (140,000 MTOW versus 120,000 MLW plus 20,000) and thus no weight issue. Once reassigned to a shorter flight after having already been fueled, it can be a problem.

If you were only :30 late due to defueling, it doesn't sound like they were overweight by much (was this a -300 or -700?), but in any event, sorry you had a delay..
Old May 3, 2012, 12:55 pm

Thanks OPNLguy! I love your explanations, but can't help being reminded of word problems in math class back in grade school when a train left Chicago at 2:00 pm at 60mph... I knew that stuff would help someone someday. I guess that's you!
Old May 3, 2012, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
What usually happens to create a situation like this isn't that the aircraft gets overfueled, per se, but that the aircraft was fueled for a previous flight, say, BWI-PHX, that was of longer duration than BWI-ORF. If the aircraft was going BWI-PHX but then had a mechanical issue that grounded it, a new aircraft would have been utilized for BWI-PHX. Once the original aircraft came back into service, and it gets plugged back into the schedule but on a shorter flight (like BWI-ORF) it could have had too much fuel onboard, requiring some to be offloaded.

The reason weight becomes an issue is because aircraft have multiple weight limitations, all of which must be observed. The main two are max takeoff weight (MTOW) and maximum landing weight (MLW). The MTOW is always higher than the MLW, since the design engineers factor-in that MTOW considers the weight of all the fuel being carried that gets the aircraft to the destination, where, naturally, you'd have consumed that fuel and be landing at MLW.

As an example, let's assume that the MTOW at BWI is 140,000 lbs. and the MLW (landing anywhere) is 120,000 lbs., and that it takes 5,000 lbs of fuel to fly BWI-ORF. If one loaded up the flight at BWI such that it weighed 140,000 lbs. it'd be able to get off the ground OK, but after consuming the 5,000 lbs. to get to ORF, the aircraft would arrive weighing 135,000 lbs., or some 15,000 lbs. over the MLW. The way to prevent this is to limit the MTOW by the MLW, or in this case, a 120,000 lb MLW plus the 5,000 which equals 125,000 lbs. Even though the aircraft could get 140,000 lbs off the runway at BWI, limiting the MTOW to 125,000 ensures you'll arrive ORF at 120,000 lbs.

If your aircraft had been originally scheduled for a longer flight that would have used 20,000 lbs. of fuel to get to its destination, the two weights would have been the same (140,000 MTOW versus 120,000 MLW plus 20,000) and thus no weight issue. Once reassigned to a shorter flight after having already been fueled, it can be a problem.

If you were only :30 late due to defueling, it doesn't sound like they were overweight by much (was this a -300 or -700?), but in any event, sorry you had a delay..
Your scenario is completely plausible. However, in this case, they boarded us for an early departure. Based on the announcements and the things happening, it seems like this was found during pre-flight checks. They specificially said they ground crew "over fueled" the plane. No big deal. Just interesting.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Your scenario is completely plausible. However, in this case, they boarded us for an early departure. Based on the announcements and the things happening, it seems like this was found during pre-flight checks. They specificially said they ground crew "over fueled" the plane. No big deal. Just interesting.
OPNLguy probably hit this one dead on. The "early" departure could mean an equipment swap using an aircraft and crew on hand to prevent a delay on your flight due to late arriving inbound or maint issue. It happens not to say often but pretty frequently with all airlines at hubs.

Though if it weren't for the overfuel you likely never would have known. And that later flight using your original aircraft likely would have been ontime too. It's a scramble to turn a problem into a win-win. Most times it's a win-win with a lot of work behind the scenes. Juggling aircraft and crews means changing a lot of downline scheduling.

30 mins doesn't sound bad... Scrambling the parked de-fuel tanker truck to the aircraft. Defueling and recalculating weight and balance does take time. And I'm sure everyone working that flight did their best to recover. Best of intentions sometimes go awry with one missed not so little detail.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by OPNLguy
Per flightstats it was a -300 http://flightaware.com/live/flight/S...215Z/KBWI/KORF
Old May 3, 2012, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveller001
OPNLguy probably hit this one dead on. The "early" departure could mean an equipment swap using an aircraft and crew on hand to prevent a delay on your flight due to late arriving inbound or maint issue. It happens not to say often but pretty frequently with all airlines at hubs.

Though if it weren't for the overfuel you likely never would have known. And that later flight using your original aircraft likely would have been ontime too. It's a scramble to turn a problem into a win-win. Most times it's a win-win with a lot of work behind the scenes. Juggling aircraft and crews means changing a lot of downline scheduling.

30 mins doesn't sound bad... Scrambling the parked de-fuel tanker truck to the aircraft. Defueling and recalculating weight and balance does take time. And I'm sure everyone working that flight did their best to recover. Best of intentions sometimes go awry with one missed not so little detail.
They did a great job. They updated us three times during those thirty minutes.
Old May 3, 2012, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC

While I was typing this post-on the plane waiting -wn called to alert me of the delay.

How many points should I ask for? 15k min? Before I get flamed I am just kidding. Its only a 30 min delay.
i would ask for a fill up for my car....
Old May 3, 2012, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by clacko
i would ask for a fill up for my car....
44,000lbs/6.7lbs per gallon... could probably be worth more than your car(s).
Old May 3, 2012, 9:36 pm

Another related possibility (since your BWI-ORF was so lightly booked) was that the aircraft's next flight (ORF-BWI) was more heavily booked such that it arriving from BWI with so much fuel would have caused it to be too heavy.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: Several
There's three things a pilot cannot use; the altitude above him, the runway behind him, and the fuel he left behind.

Sounds like these line guys had the right priorities.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
There's three things a pilot cannot use; the altitude above him, the runway behind him, and the fuel he left behind.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.