Wiki Posts
Search

DFW Terminal help needed

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Frequent Flyer Program
DFW Terminal help needed

No, I don't want to be terminated - I just want help to quickly change terminals! We are flying into Dallas Fort Worth entering at Terminal 3. We need to quickly get to Terminal 2 for an ongoing flight to San Antonio. Do we need to go through security? I sure hope not! I looked at the airport site and it looks very organised but it isn't clear because the terminals are alphabetised and my itinerary just says the terminal numbers. Help!
Old May 8, 2008, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Rose2455
No, I don't want to be terminated - I just want help to quickly change terminals! We are flying into Dallas Fort Worth entering at Terminal 3. We need to quickly get to Terminal 2 for an ongoing flight to San Antonio. Do we need to go through security? I sure hope not! I looked at the airport site and it looks very organised but it isn't clear because the terminals are alphabetised and my itinerary just says the terminal numbers. Help!
You need to take on Airtrain from terminal to terminal instead of leaving from security area. It's much easier for you to get there in terminal 2 where your flight is departs from DFW.

Why you don't asked gate agent will be very helpful. You can wait for your arrival in DFW. You don't have need to leave from terminals. I think it's exactly where you will stay inside the gates. Just take on the Airtrain from terminal to terminal.

I thinks that I am knowledgeable where the airtrain will take you there from terminal to terminal.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

Thank you for your quick answer. I 've just realised that we depart SFO from terminal 3 (so don't know which terminal we come into Dallas). We'll take your advice and ask the gate person to direct us to terminal 2 to fly on to San Antonio. Thanks again.
Old May 9, 2008, 7:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Rose2455, best of luck on your trip.

We're going to move this thread to our regional forum which includes TX. Perhaps others may wish to weigh in on your question.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old May 9, 2008, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
The terminals at DFW use letter (A, B, C, D, E), not numbers, and since I am assuming you are flying American Airlines, your terminals and gates at DFW probably have not even been assigned yet, and even if they have been they are subject to change. In any case, transfering between terminals is easy and fast and does not require reclearing security unless you're arriving on an international flight.
Old May 9, 2008, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
The terminals at DFW use letter (A, B, C, D, E), not numbers, and since I am assuming you are flying American Airlines, your terminals and gates at DFW probably have not even been assigned yet, and even if they have been they are subject to change. In any case, transfering between terminals is easy and fast and does not require reclearing security unless you're arriving on an international flight.
That's correct! It was different terminal A, B, C, D, & E in DFW. Where you can exact taking you there on the AirTrain from gates to gates. You will not able leave from gates area. You will walk upstairs to get on the Airtrain from AA gates. It's shouldn't have a problems at all.

PS. If you want to look it up the flight status where your flight is departed. Thanks again.
Old May 9, 2008, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cholula
Rose2455, best of luck on your trip.

We're going to move this thread to our regional forum which includes TX. Perhaps others may wish to weigh in on your question.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Thank you for your very helpful about specific information where exact the terminal came from. Thanks again.
Old May 9, 2008, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The high speed train is called Sky Train and is very easy to use. They run in both directions and stop several times in each terminal.

If you need help along the way DFW has dozens of volunteers who 'man' the information desks all through the airport. They wear a western hat and have clear identification. They are delighted to help travelers.
Old May 9, 2008, 9:06 pm

DFW's webpage has good info on this too:
http://www.dfwairport.com/transport/connect.html

BillJ
Old May 9, 2008, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Getting there!

I think I'm getting oriented. Thanks for the site info - we are flying American Airlines to Dallas from San Francisco and then going on with American Airlines to San Antonio an hour later. I had allowed plenty of time but we are using frequent flyer points and already they are changing flights on us. I had a look at the airport site and it looks like American Airlines flies into Terminal C (please tell me if I'm wrong) and, if we book our luggage straight through in San Francisco, it looks like we can stay in the secure zone and just walk around to the gate where we board our next flight. If I'm right then that works out to be very comfortable as long as the flights are all running on schedule and that one's out of my hands! Luckily this is the only place we have a connecting flight on the whole trip.
Old May 10, 2008, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I had a look at the airport site and it looks like American Airlines flies into Terminal C (please tell me if I'm wrong) and, if we book our luggage straight through in San Francisco, it looks like we can stay in the secure zone and just walk around to the gate where we board our next flight.
American flies in and out of Terminals A, C, and D and American Eagle flies in and out of Terminals B and D. You should be on mainline American the entire way. If you are transiting between A and C, expect the entire process to take 5 to 10 minutes gate to gate - if you are going between A and D, it will take 10 to 15 minutes - and if you are going between C and D, it will take 15 to 20 minutes. (Those times based on my personal experience and they can possibly be shorter, but that's what I typically budget for myself.)

If for whatever reason you are delayed coming in from San Francisco, ask the flight attendants before you get off the plane which way they recommend going - most of them are also used to making tight connections at DFW and can give you best advice. As well, American will announce gates for your San Antonio flight before landing in DFW - and there is a terminal map in the back of the inflight magazine that will help you visually plan out your journey before you hit the ground.

With any luck, you'll land or depart from the newer Terminal D and have enough time to stop for food - the best restaurants in the entire airport are in that terminal and its a pleasant place to spend a layover.
Old May 10, 2008, 8:07 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
"techgirl" has provided solid advice.....

1. AA operates domestic service from terminals A&C, with mixed domestic & international flights ARR/DPT in the new "D". American Eagle, RJs and Saab turboprops, unlikely for a SAT flight, are in B.

2. There are two "Skytrain" staions in each terminal (all with trains in both directions every couple of minutes), reducing walks to no more than 1 100 yeards in almost every case. The entire loop is quick, with no more than 15 minutes for the circuit.

3. An AA FA will anoounce, likely while taxiing in from the boondocks of DFW, the terminal and gate # of your arrival, and the departure terminal and gate # of your SAT departure.

4. "The Back of the Book", in AA's inflight mag has the same diagram which is repeated throughout the terminals (and occasional banks of video will allow you to confirm the gate announcement), allowing you to locate the nearest "station", head up the escalator and travel to the station nearest your departure gate, then turn right of left to stumble upon it.

"Piece of cake" as the expression goes, and DFW may be the easiest large US airport in which to get around.
Old May 10, 2008, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Much appreciated - just one more thing...

I feel quite confident now about finding our way quickly - such excellent help - thank you all. The only question left is - will be have to leave the secure area and go through security check. If not, then it seems a very easy quick process. If we do have to leave the secure area it will take longer as we are carrying onboard a small suitcase with computer, camera cords, medication, etc that will have to be security checked.
Old May 10, 2008, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
The high speed train is called Sky Train and is very easy to use. They run in both directions and stop several times in each terminal.
"High speed" it ain't, but it gets the job done just fine.

I feel quite confident now about finding our way quickly - such excellent help - thank you all. The only question left is - will be have to leave the secure area and go through security check. If not, then it seems a very easy quick process. If we do have to leave the secure area it will take longer as we are carrying onboard a small suitcase with computer, camera cords, medication, etc that will have to be security checked.
You do not need to, and should not, leave the secured area; the SkyTrain runs entirely within the secured area. Your checked luggage will be transferred for you, and you just take your carryon from one flight to the next. Rescreening will not be necessary.
Old May 10, 2008, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

That's all folks!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge. I now have the whole process and feel very confident that we will get between the two flights with the minimum of fuss. Your kindnesses are appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.