Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

MIA Miami Airport layover - what to do to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIA Miami Airport layover - what to do to?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your quick reply
He does not have access, although he will be travelling AA F-class to the Carribean. Any decent pay-for-lounges around in MIA?
Where would those food places/restaurants be located? Pre-security or airside?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Been asked by a friend what to do on a 5hrs layover in MIA:
arrival 1:15 p.m.
dept 6:10 p.m.
on a weekday
From what I understand it takes about 30 - 45 mins to get to South Beach, so that is probably not a viable option.
Is there maybe a nice hotel around/nearby the airport he could go to for a lunch? Maybe with some plane watching?
One more detail: he is visiting from overseas and his English language skills are limited.
That should be plenty of time to leave the airport and get a nice lunch. Two of may favorite restaurants, Michael's Genuine Food & Drink and Mignonette (the downtown location), are about a 20-minute taxi or uber ride from the airport. Both serve lunch until 3pm, so if your friend is in a cab around, say, 2pm, he'll be seated by 2:30, giving him plenty of time to order. He'd almost certainly finish up by 4pm (probably closer to 3:30), getting him back to MIA by 4:30.

That strikes me as relaxed and totally doable, assuming his arrival into Miami is close to on time.
AStarr likes this.

Last edited by Blumie; Mar 8, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:37 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Late lunch landside at MIA?

We will be flying into MIA on a Friday in June (arriving 2PM). International flight (SAS), European passport, ESTA. Having three hours after landing before our ground transportation leaves. We might very well need the full three hours if any delay in incoming flight or long lines at immigration, but sometimes the planets do align and we might have an hour or so for a late lunch. Our transportation leaves from the airport proper, between D & E, and as we will be coming back to Miami later in the trip we have no particular desire to go outside the airport, especially not after a 9 hour flight.

Anyplace halfway decent landside at MIA? Preferably sit-down with table service.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by ksu
We will be flying into MIA on a Friday in June (arriving 2PM). International flight (SAS), European passport, ESTA. Having three hours after landing before our ground transportation leaves. We might very well need the full three hours if any delay in incoming flight or long lines at immigration, but sometimes the planets do align and we might have an hour or so for a late lunch. Our transportation leaves from the airport proper, between D & E, and as we will be coming back to Miami later in the trip we have no particular desire to go outside the airport, especially not after a 9 hour flight.

Anyplace halfway decent landside at MIA? Preferably sit-down with table service.
Not much landside, only suggestion I can make is La Carreta outside Immigration on Level One Terminal D. They are an original Miami-based Cuban food restaurant.

My question to you is why do you need to wait for your ground transportation unless you are joining a larger group. Most GT companies will track your flight and can be ready to meet you once you clear Immigration and customs. If you are delayed, they should know and make any adjustments if necessary.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:57 am
ksu

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Not much landside, only suggestion I can make is La Carreta outside Immigration on Level One Terminal D. They are an original Miami-based Cuban food restaurant.

My question to you is why do you need to wait for your ground transportation unless you are joining a larger group. Most GT companies will track your flight and can be ready to meet you once you clear Immigration and customs. If you are delayed, they should know and make any adjustments if necessary.
Going to Key West. Do not want to drive a rental car immediately after arriving from Europe. Private GT costs USD 400 for two (i.e. double what an AA flight would cost), so only cost effective transportation would either the twice-daily Greyhound or a shared shuttle, which AFAIK has fixed departure times every two hours.

I'll check out La Carreta!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by ksu
Going to Key West. Do not want to drive a rental car immediately after arriving from Europe. Private GT costs USD 400 for two (i.e. double what an AA flight would cost), so only cost effective transportation would either the twice-daily Greyhound or a shared shuttle, which AFAIK has fixed departure times every two hours.

I'll check out La Carreta!
Since I work for Supershuttle, the contracted Shared Ride shuttle at MIA, and all of our trips to Key West are Exclusive service for $402.00 for up to 10 passengers, I am assuming you are either taking Greyhound or the Keys Shuttle which you need to prearrange before arriving at MIA.

There is only one other area that is landside, besides different kiosks or walk up windows. It is a snack bar area outside of terminal G on the departure level. I believe it contains a Chili's Too and a Pizza Hut.

You should check this out for any other options:

http://www.shopmiamiairport.com/stores.aspx?category=2
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:57 pm
ksu

Since I work for Supershuttle, the contracted Shared Ride shuttle at MIA, and all of our trips to Key West are Exclusive service for $402.00 for up to 10 passengers, I am assuming you are either taking Greyhound or the Keys Shuttle which you need to prearrange before arriving at MIA.

There is only one other area that is landside, besides different kiosks or walk up windows. It is a snack bar area outside of terminal G on the departure level. I believe it contains a Chili's Too and a Pizza Hut.

You should check this out for any other options:

http://www.shopmiamiairport.com/stores.aspx?category=2
It is the Keys Shuttle that I have checked yes. Glad to have confirmed that I have found the relevant alternatives. I have tried to check out the official MIA information, but have found it extremely uninformative, as to what is pre- and what is post-security. That's why I'm asking the locals here!

Thanks for your great help!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Sunday Morning Layover

Have a family member with an upcoming Sunday morning layover (arrive 09:00, depart 14:55) and was looking for options for them, especially in terms of food. It just looks like there are not as many food options available at that time.

They're interested in heading down to the South Beach area and either a) eating brunch and walking around (Dolce Italia and Macchialina look promising on Google), or b) heading to a pool and lounging with drinks.

Anyone have any good Sunday morning restaurant recommendations? And would he be able to get into the pool at a place like the W without being a guest (he will purchase food and drink)?

Is alcohol not sold in Miami on Sunday morning?

Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Have a family member with an upcoming Sunday morning layover (arrive 09:00, depart 14:55) and was looking for options for them, especially in terms of food. It just looks like there are not as many food options available at that time.

They're interested in heading down to the South Beach area and either a) eating brunch and walking around (Dolce Italia and Macchialina look promising on Google), or b) heading to a pool and lounging with drinks.

Anyone have any good Sunday morning restaurant recommendations? And would he be able to get into the pool at a place like the W without being a guest (he will purchase food and drink)?

Is alcohol not sold in Miami on Sunday morning?

Thanks!
Miami-Dade has an ordinance that does not allow retail sale of alcohol before 1 pm on Sundays. There is a restaurant on South Perimeter road that has a Sunday Brunch that is a little expensive (around $45/pp) but is definitely worth it. Check out 94th Aerosquadron. You have a view of the airport and can watch the planes take off and land and listen to ATC communicate with them (Attn: UA channel 9 fans).
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Miami-Dade has an ordinance that does not allow retail sale of alcohol before 1 pm on Sundays. There is a restaurant on South Perimeter road that has a Sunday Brunch that is a little expensive (around $45/pp) but is definitely worth it. Check out 94th Aerosquadron. You have a view of the airport and can watch the planes take off and land and listen to ATC communicate with them (Attn: UA channel 9 fans).
I have passed the suggestions along. It seems like expensive brunch is the norm in Miami. He will have a one-day pass to the Admirals Club, but I think it would be mind-numbingly boring to just sit in a mediocre lounge that long. Six hours is long in a luxury lounge, so IMHO it would be much better to get out and get some real food.

94th Aerosquadron sounds pretty cool! That must be one of the only places of its kind. I'm going to check that out next time I'm stuck at MIA.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AY, Avis
Heyhey! I've been reading the forum sporadically in matters concerning my business travels. Now, I'm going on holiday and decided to actually register.
My question is about checking in on a Copa Air flight. I'm arriving to MIA on Friday at 15:45 and my next flight on Copa, bought separately, leaves Saturday at 06:57. My plan was to leave my bag in a locker, visit the city and come back and nap in the terminal.
While writing this I realized that, I probably won't be able to check in my bag and get past security in the evening... First time backpacking on the other side of the globe, business travel within Europe is so much simpler.

So my question is about the facilities available for me and tips on what to do in the city? Thought about visiting Nusr-et Steakhouse (saltbae) because apparently I look like him, but I feel like it might be overhyped and crowded.

I will be back in MIA for a few days three weeks later on my way home, and will have better time then.

I'll have to read the earlier posts more carefully at home, just wanted to get my first post out there
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk finnish rockriver ^

MIA isn't too close to much of the tourist scene so if you can I'd look into a cheap rental car and a cheap hotel and or planning round trip rides to and from a nicer part of town which will have a little pricier hotel.

What are you looking to do or what do you like to do? Let us know, it will be easier to advice where to go and what to see.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: AY, Avis
Thank you Madone59!

I think I'll leave the touristy stuff for my return trip when I actually have a few days to spend in Miami. My thought was to just go out to get some dinner and then get back to the airport to get some rest as I'm in the middle of my 30+h transit. I didn't come to mind that I couldn't just check in as I please. I assume that there's not many comfortable spots landside (what I assume to mean pre-security non-international area, correct me if I'm wrong ). I would've been ok with just spending the night (or the 5-6h rather) at the airport. I'd maybe even prefer that over having to actually get up and get to the gate. But as it seem, a cheap hotel would be the only option. I'll have to check the earlier mentioned MIAhotel.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by finnish rockriver
Thank you Madone59!

I think I'll leave the touristy stuff for my return trip when I actually have a few days to spend in Miami. My thought was to just go out to get some dinner and then get back to the airport to get some rest as I'm in the middle of my 30+h transit. I didn't come to mind that I couldn't just check in as I please. I assume that there's not many comfortable spots landside (what I assume to mean pre-security non-international area, correct me if I'm wrong ). I would've been ok with just spending the night (or the 5-6h rather) at the airport. I'd maybe even prefer that over having to actually get up and get to the gate. But as it seem, a cheap hotel would be the only option. I'll have to check the earlier mentioned MIAhotel.
Copa has many flights daily to Panama City, so you may get to check in early or even try to get on one of their earlier flights (4:59 am) if there is room. They also have a few flights that depart in the evening of Friday night as well.

There is also a hotel in the airport that you may get some rest as well.

MIA Hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.