Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:29 pm

New Orleans Music Legends
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by James F
Not sure what this post refers to. Was it a response to a prior post?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by James F
Originally Posted by Blumie
Not sure what this post refers to. Was it a response to a prior post?
Blumie, I didn't understand that post, either. However, I think the poster actually means "Musical Legends Park" on Bourbon St. Nice little park/courtyard area with not very accurately looking statues of some famous New Orleans musicians. Though, IMO, a place only for the most touristy of tourists to get a drink. As far as a restaurant recommendation, I find it to be a totally befuddling suggestion.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
There is a Cafe Beignet in there.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by swag
There is a Cafe Beignet in there.
That's true, but it's not on my radar when I'm thinking of restaurants in the French Quarter. How did you like the food there?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
That's true, but it's not on my radar when I'm thinking of restaurants in the French Quarter. How did you like the food there?
At that location, I think I've only had coffee. But I enjoyed breakfast at the one on Royal St a couple of times. No, it's not at the top of my recommendation list either, but perhaps better than "a place only for the most touristy of tourists to get a drink" suggests.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Ok yall. Its been a few years since i have been to NOLA. Headed down for 5 nights and trying to get my food itinerary in order.

My definite visits are:
Dooky Chase
Cochon
Cochon Butcher
McClure's BBQ
Acme Oyster House
Emerils
Dantes

Also in the running are some of my favorites:
Irenes
Jacques-Imo's
Coops
Luke
K-Pauls

I have a list of restaurants that i haven't been to that i hear are good and this is what i need help with:

Clancys
HerbSaint
Compère Lapin
Restaurant August
Casamentos
dragos

Any feedback on these would be very helpful. Of this last group what are must visits? ive heard great things about Clancys and Compère Lapin. Casamentos looks like an interesting lunch visit. Dragos ive been meaning to try for a while now. And Herbsaint and August im hearing great things.

Too much food not enough time!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
I think Acme is a bit overrated especially for the line. Get your oysters at the 25 cent happy hour at Luke.

Herbsaint and August are both amazing.

Other new places that I liked last time I was there were Trenasse and Restaurant Rebirth (foie gras boudin stuffed quail!!).
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by njxbean
Ok yall. Its been a few years since i have been to NOLA. Headed down for 5 nights and trying to get my food itinerary in order.

My definite visits are:
Dooky Chase
Cochon
Cochon Butcher
McClure's BBQ
Acme Oyster House
Emerils
Dantes

Irenes
Jacques-Imo's
Coops
Luke
K-Pauls

I have a list of restaurants that i haven't been to that i hear are good and this is what i need help with:

Clancys
HerbSaint
Compère Lapin
Restaurant August
Casamentos
dragos

Any feedback on these would be very helpful. Of this last group what are must visits? ive heard great things about Clancys and Compère Lapin. Casamentos looks like an interesting lunch visit. Dragos ive been meaning to try for a while now. And Herbsaint and August im hearing great things.

I'll comment on a few of your choices: Acme, Dante, Lüke, Clancy's & Herbsaint.
In my opinion, they are mediocre and there are much better choices. The only way I would back to any of these is if whomever I was going with insisted and was going to pick up the tab. However, if you haven't tried them before, give it a go. It's great that we have so many choices here and maybe you'll enjoy them.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njxbean

My definite visits are:
Dooky Chase
Cochon
Cochon Butcher
McClure's BBQ
Acme Oyster House
Emerils
Dantes

Irenes
Jacques-Imo's
Coops
Luke
K-Pauls

Clancys
HerbSaint
Compère Lapin
Restaurant August
Casamentos
dragos

I'll comment on a few of your choices: Acme, Dante, Lüke, Clancy's & Herbsaint.
In my opinion, they are mediocre and there are much better choices. The only way I would back to any of these is if whomever I was going with insisted and was going to pick up the tab. However, if you haven't tried them before, give it a go. It's great that we have so many choices here and maybe you'll enjoy them.
I'm gonna disagree with you on Clancy's. In fact, it's one of my favorite of the old school New Orleans restaurants.

I would strike Emeril's from the list as well as all of the places in the "in the running" list. I think the OP can do much better. I like all of the places in the OP's "hear they are good" list than the "in the running" list.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:29 pm

Some recent restaurant visits:

Asuka - sushi restaurant on Earhart Blvd. ^
Sake Don - sushi restaurant on Jefferson Hwy. ^
La Casita Taqueria - Oak St., good for those going to the Maple Leaf Bar. I usually don't like to go to a restaurant that has just opened, but I enjoyed this one. Service was good. The guacamole, margaritas, the shrimp taco and El Fuego taco were all good.
Avo - Italian on Magazine St. The meatball appetizer was delicious. We enjoyed the entire meal. ^^
Primitivo - on OC Haley Blvd. I need to give this another visit. Went on a Friday at noon and the place was practically empty, only 4 other customers until I left about 1:30. Lots of hard surfaces so high noise level. I had the strangest chicken salad sandwich - tasted fishy. The fresh limeade drink was very good. I'll give it another shot, but I won't order the chicken salad.
Kin - I have to mention this place again. Just went yesterday for another lunch. The brisket dish was absolutely delicious as was the dumpling appetizer. I asked to see a dinner menu and it looks very appetizing. I'm looking forward to going for dinner. As I've mentioned before, it is very small inside. It is a small yellow building on a triangle shaped piece of ground bounded by Washington Ave., Clio St. and S. Clark. There is no signage except for a very small sign on the wall next to the front door.^^
Chiba - on Oak St two doors from the Maple Leaf Bar. High quality sushi with a late night happy hour. ^
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:46 pm

I'm gonna disagree with you on Clancy's. In fact, it's one of my favorite of the old school New Orleans restaurants.

I would strike Emeril's from the list as well as all of the places in the "in the running" list. I think the OP can do much better. I like all of the places in the OP's "hear they are good" list than the "in the running" list.
We just went to Clancy's a couple of weeks ago. Service was good, but I'm very happy I wasn't paying for the meal. Others in our group weren't impressed either. Clancy's is a popular upscale neighborhood place with a large following of regulars and it does have a certain ambiance, as long as you're sitting downstairs. I admit that I enjoy seeing a lot of people that I know when I go, so for me, it's the social aspect and not the food, that I enjoy. But, as I've said before, it's great that we have so many choices here. There's a restaurant to fit anyone's palate.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We just went to Clancy's a couple of weeks ago. Service was good, but I'm very happy I wasn't paying for the meal. Others in our group weren't impressed either. Clancy's is a popular upscale neighborhood place with a large following of regulars and it does have a certain ambiance, as long as you're sitting downstairs. I admit that I enjoy seeing a lot of people that I know when I go, so for me, it's the social aspect and not the food, that I enjoy. But, as I've said before, it's great that we have so many choices here. There's a restaurant to fit anyone's palate.
I've enjoyed Clancy's even when sitting upstairs (although I completely understand that upstairs must be considered Siberia for the locals, for whom socializing in the main downstairs dining room is part of the attraction). But you are, of course, absolutely right that New Orleans offers a restaurant (or ten) for anyone's palate.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:14 pm

I've enjoyed Clancy's even when sitting upstairs (although I completely understand that upstairs must be considered Siberia for the locals, for whom socializing in the main downstairs dining room is part of the attraction). But you are, of course, absolutely right that New Orleans offers a restaurant (or ten) for anyone's palate.
I have to admit that I've been sent to "Siberia" a couple of times.

Edit: I guess I should add that I used to like Clancy's, but after the "troubles" of a few years ago, it hasn't been the same for me.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Mar 20, 2016 at 3:39 pm
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:00 pm
Suspended

I like Emeril's for drama and plenty of BAM! (I much prefer Emeril's to his Delmonico), And Bayona for subtlety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.