Reload this Page >

End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee! [Entry into US Visa Waiver Program Feb 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows nationals of designated member participants to travel to the United States for tourism or business (B visa category) purposes for up to 90 days without obtaining a visa.

On February 28, 2014, Chile was designated as a member of the Visa Waiver Program, bringing the total to 38 countries. Beginning May 1, 2014, Chilean nationals may travel to the United States under the VWP.

Chilean travellers to the US no longer need a visa but must pay the US $14 ESTA fee; passport holders from certain countries may travel without visas, so long as their passports meet certain requirements. Link to USCBP ESTA application web page.

Chilean passport holders should note: only an electronic passport or e-passport (one with a chip that holds biographical data) will be accepted for the VWP. These have been issued in Chile since Sept. 2, 2013. Link to US Embassy in Santiago web pages with further information

US Passport holders visiting Chile are exempt (as of 26 Feb 2014) from the visa reciprocity fee of US $160 paid previously (for a multiple entry visa valid for the life of the passport in which it is entered); Link to SCL Airport site stating reciprocity fee no longer collected from US passport holders (reciprocity still applies to Albanians, Australians, Canadians and Mexicans - link).

Canadian passport holders are now exempted from recipripocity fees 11 Jan 2015)

Link to TIMATIC Web offered by Star Alliance to check visa requirements.

Earlier, speculative posts (prior to announcement and implementation) may be found in End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee? [Archival].
Print Wikipost

End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee! [Entry into US Visa Waiver Program Feb 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Abogado.... your don't pay the fee anyway.... aren't you half chilote...????

Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Abogado.... your don't pay the fee anyway.... aren't you half chilote...????

Funny you say that - in Mexican, that is a term of, um, a synonym for "bien dotado."
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Any FTers around SCL this weekend? I will be, and with that xtra cash in your pocket perhaps we can meet for a Terremoto or Pisco Sour? Let me know..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Mar 5, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for posting the good news Siempre Viajando! I take two groups a year to Chile and this will be a nice little boost to our travel budget.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat. Medallion
Just came through last week. I noticed the signs had been altered in the airport so US travelers no longer have to pay. I paid two years ago but the friend I am traveling with got a new passport and we were expecting he would have to pay. Nice surprise!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by climber1
So it sounds like the fee is gone if entering at SCL based on what two people posted here. Can anyone else confirm this? I am travelling to Chile in 3 weeks.
The 2 other accounts of the reciprocity fee/visa requirements being waived are correct!

I wanted to respond to this since I was still confused about this last week and just arrived at SLC from LAX yesterday.

I actually got stopped at LAX bc I hadn't gotten a visa since the SLC website excluded the US from their required visa list. LAX gave me a hard time but let me board my flight and told me I might get a penalty few for not having a visa once I landed in SLC.

However, when I landed I went straight through immigration without needing a visa and without needing to pay reciprocity tax.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marimac
The 2 other accounts of the reciprocity fee/visa requirements being waived are correct!

I wanted to respond to this since I was still confused about this last week and just arrived at SLC from LAX yesterday.

I actually got stopped at LAX bc I hadn't gotten a visa since the SLC website excluded the US from their required visa list. LAX gave me a hard time but let me board my flight and told me I might get a penalty few for not having a visa once I landed in SLC.

However, when I landed I went straight through immigration without needing a visa and without needing to pay reciprocity tax.
That is quite odd, because Chile has never had a visa requirement for US Citizens (at least in decades) and it has been a "reciprocity fee payment on arrival" for years - never an issue boarding a flight w/o proof of payment.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That is quite odd, because Chile has never had a visa requirement for US Citizens (at least in decades) and it has been a "reciprocity fee payment on arrival" for years - never an issue boarding a flight w/o proof of payment.
I've had agents ask to see my visa at check-in in the US (DEN and JFK). For DEN, at that time I did have an actual visa sticker in my passport since I had my residencia temporaria, so rather than get into the reciprocity fee vs visa discussion, I just showed that. At JFK I was asked for proof, as well, and I showed my carnet since I have permanencia definitiva, and that seemed to work. But there's definitely some misunderstanding out there.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zpaul
I've had agents ask to see my visa at check-in in the US (DEN and JFK). For DEN, at that time I did have an actual visa sticker in my passport since I had my residencia temporaria, so rather than get into the reciprocity fee vs visa discussion, I just showed that. At JFK I was asked for proof, as well, and I showed my carnet since I have permanencia definitiva, and that seemed to work. But there's definitely some misunderstanding out there.
The last time I entered Chile not on LAN was most likely over a decade ago, so I suppose that has had its "we aren't confused" benefit
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Back in the early years of my Chile journey, I really was a PT and learned quickly what to do when questioned about my residency status as my international itineraries ended in Chile. For many years, Timatic had an actual not applicable line (in regards to the onward or return ticket requirement) for those traveling to Chile for "touristic" purposes and I would cite that and never had a problem. FME, LAN never asked and American asked about 10% of the time. But I've heard Delta can be more ignorant on this and possibly other airlines. The no applicable line disappeared from Timatic about two years ago and now the only fallback is showing funds sufficient for an onward or return ticket. All academic for me now as I have PD.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Rumor has it that the Canadian government has (finally ) dropped visitor's visa requirements for Chilean citizens. If this is the case (I haven't confirmed it yet) then we can expect that the Chilean government will promptly drop the requirements for Canadian citizens to pay the reciprocity fee, just as they did for American citizens earlier this year.

I'm not flying internationally out of SCL until mid-December. Meantime it would be great if any other FTers passing through international arrivals at SCL would check to see if the Canadian flag has been dropped from the signs listing the nationalities subject to the reciprocity fee.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:29 am

Not rumor at all

First reported this past Saturday evening.

Still waiting on reports from more people going through immigrations. One expat came through on Sunday night and said the sign was still up for Canada.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
Rumor has it that the Canadian government has (finally ) dropped visitor's visa requirements for Chilean citizens. If this is the case (I haven't confirmed it yet) then we can expect that the Chilean government will promptly drop the requirements for Canadian citizens to pay the reciprocity fee, just as they did for American citizens earlier this year.

I'm not flying internationally out of SCL until mid-December. Meantime it would be great if any other FTers passing through international arrivals at SCL would check to see if the Canadian flag has been dropped from the signs listing the nationalities subject to the reciprocity fee.
I'm traveling to SCL later in the week. I will try and update the thread on the Canadian situation.. Happy Thanksgiving and Safe Travels..
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:05 am

Today's El Mercurio --- a "decreto supremo" will be signed within 15 days to end the fee for Canadians.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
Today's El Mercurio --- a "decreto supremo" will be signed within 15 days to end the fee for Canadians.
Is that the paper edition or the website? I searched the emol website and didn't find anything more recent than the announcement last week that Canada was eliminating visa requirements for Chileans.

In any event, it's good news. Countless times in the last couple of years, professional Chileans I know have missed meetings in Toronto (where the company I work for is headquartered) on account of the time and paperwork involved in obtaining a visitor's visa to enter Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.