Wiki Posts
Search

End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee? [Archival]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee? [Archival]

Now that the US is admitting Chile into the VWP, should we assume that Chile will be dropping the reciprocity fee that was allegedly started as a response to the US fee on Chileans? Any idea on a timeline?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
At some point in 2014, Chile should be joining the VWP.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:18 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
At some point in 2014, Chile should be joining the VWP.
Well deserved..... ^

I hope this means that Argentina can get back on this program in perhaps, 10-12 years....? (sigh)
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Now that the US is admitting Chile into the VWP, should we assume that Chile will be dropping the reciprocity fee that was allegedly started as a response to the US fee on Chileans? Any idea on a timeline?
"Allegedly"...what's that supposed to mean? Chile charges reciprocity fees only to citizens of those countries that require Chileans to obtain visitors visa to enter, and charges exactly what the governments of those countries charge Chilean citizens for their visas. Rest assured, once Chilean citizens no longer need visas to enter the States, the Chilean government will promptly stop charging the fee to US citizens.

Is there any doubt? I mean, this country is not a banana republic....
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:17 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Given that the USA charges $14 for ESTA as part of the Visa Waiver Program, would it not be in the spirit of reciprocal treatment for Chile to still charge Americans US$14 upon arrival?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Any news??

Does anyone have any new information to share about Chile joining the VWP? I've got a group travelling to Chile in January and a Chilean group travelling here in February. It would sure be great to get this accomplished by then.

On June 3, President Piņera met with US Secretary of State John Kerry. In a post-meeting press conference, Piņera said, “A US delegation will probably visit Chile to certify and verify all our progress. We expect, hopefully within the next few months, that Chileans will be able to visit the USA as tourists and for up to 90 days, without a visa”.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by FrogProf
Does anyone have any new information to share about Chile joining the VWP? I've got a group travelling to Chile in January and a Chilean group travelling here in February. It would sure be great to get this accomplished by then.

On June 3, President Piņera met with US Secretary of State John Kerry. In a post-meeting press conference, Piņera said, “A US delegation will probably visit Chile to certify and verify all our progress. We expect, hopefully within the next few months, that Chileans will be able to visit the USA as tourists and for up to 90 days, without a visa”.
I'm not paying any attention to this issue personally since my reciprocity fee is paid up for several more years, and my family doesn't need to pay the fee. That said, I watch the local (Santiago) news and read the local papers, and I haven't seen any news on this recently. So I'd hazard a guess that Jan/Feb timing is iffy, at best.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
"Allegedly"...what's that supposed to mean? Chile charges reciprocity fees only to citizens of those countries that require Chileans to obtain visitors visa to enter, and charges exactly what the governments of those countries charge Chilean citizens for their visas. Rest assured, once Chilean citizens no longer need visas to enter the States, the Chilean government will promptly stop charging the fee to US citizens.

Is there any doubt? I mean, this country is not a banana republic....
No, indeed it is not. Statistically tied with the US for 2012 in Transparency.org's Global Corruption Perception Index (ranks #19 and #20). Latin America's best performer. Ahead of France, Ireland and Austria, to name some.

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2012/results

^ To this. Time for Shark family vac soon!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by redtailshark
No, indeed it is not. Statistically tied with the US for 2012 in Transparency.org's Global Corruption Perception Index (ranks #19 and #20). Latin America's best performer. Ahead of France, Ireland and Austria, to name some.

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2012/results

^ To this. Time for Shark family vac soon!
Now your whole family can become 'experienced frequent flyers of international airlines'!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:43 pm

I'm not paying any attention to this issue personally since my reciprocity fee is paid up for several more years, and my family doesn't need to pay the fee. That said, I watch the local (Santiago) news and read the local papers, and I haven't seen any news on this recently. So I'd hazard a guess that Jan/Feb timing is iffy, at best.
Update: a colleague informed me yesterday, following a conversation he had with the Chilean ambassador to the US, that the current plan is for Chile to enter the VWP in January or February 2014. The Piņera government has considerable motivation to achieve this prior to the change in government that will happen in March, especially since the opposition is almost certainly going to win the November election.

Of course, the US government may not share the sense of urgency. And I wonder what impact the government shut-down might have especially if it continues into late October or November.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
This is a great thing for Chile... and it should bring more visitors from the USA to Chile. Well done and well deserved.... it would be nice if Argentina could learn from Chile in this (and a few other) aspects......

(sigh)
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Now your whole family can become 'experienced frequent flyers of international airlines'!
Muahahah! Nice one AA_EXP09! But wait... you think, they're not already?

Let me disabuse you of that concept.... Shark Jr did a LIH-YEG run with me a couple months back, as well as RGN, and will qualify for UA Premier Silver shortly on his own account. He's not nine yet. And I'm not an OPM flyer.

I would have bought Shark Jr an LX F ticket however, I considered the possibility of the renegers at work and figured, best just deal with myself on an unreliable ticket.

Ms.Shark on one occasion - long ago, when we lived in Japan and before I discovered FT - came with me from EDI to PVD via MEX, you know, the liberal NW routing rules... at first, there was in-cabin turbulence, why are we going here? A couple hours later...whaat? I'll be at 49k EQM!! It's December 31st!! Aaargh!

Chile.... Chile was/is awesome. Shark Jr has already come with us to Chile - on 35k WP awards, sitting in the CO cabins next to CO's own flyers who paid 50k for the same metal - but he was so small, he can't remember.

Def. one of my top five locations. Sitting in the termas observing Volcan Villarrica, sipping my cerveza, that was something else.... must go again. It would be convenient if we had another RGN...for SCL. Otherwise I will need to use those hard-won VR-gotten miles....
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Update: a colleague informed me yesterday, following a conversation he had with the Chilean ambassador to the US, that the current plan is for Chile to enter the VWP in January or February 2014. The Piņera government has considerable motivation to achieve this prior to the change in government that will happen in March, especially since the opposition is almost certainly going to win the November election.

Of course, the US government may not share the sense of urgency. And I wonder what impact the government shut-down might have especially if it continues into late October or November.
Please keep us updated. My trip to Chile is mid-March.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
You are also right about the last paragraph.
(Yes, I have been there too-on an AC fuel dump ticket back when they earned 100% miles and status was actually worth going for. Courier service fees on the Canada-Brazil segment plus the mileage made it worth it, not to mention 2 days that count against time spent in Canada for residence purposes and being able to bring in Chilean wine duty free.)
You would likely have a case for your small child where he cannot remember many of his trips and is not likely to be able to complete all the formalities and procedures of flying by himself, though, if you had to do this in front of a judge, therefore negating his own 'experience'.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
This is a great thing for Chile... and it should bring more visitors from the USA to Chile. Well done and well deserved.... it would be nice if Argentina could learn from Chile in this (and a few other) aspects......

(sigh)
I hear you. Argentina's fatal flaw is corruption. But as a cab driver told me a few years ago in Mendoza, the ship can't be righted in the foreseeable future, since conditions will never get sufficiently difficult as long as beef and red wine are in plentiful supply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.