Reload this Page >

UIO Quito, Ecuador airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UIO Quito, Ecuador airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:38 am

Well the airport opened. It's far better than I anticipated actually - looks like all of the cafes and restaurants are open.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: Delta, US Airways
Originally Posted by Ferluq
So far as I'm aware, per interviews to the city's Mayor and the published information, there will be a 24/7 dedicated and direct transportation by buses departing from the old airport every 30 min. at a cost, if I remember correctly, of USD 8. According to the Mayor, you would be able to check in there, which -to be honest- I doubt it.
You could also take the regular interparroquiales buses departing from a couple of points in the city but, of course, no space for bags and with intermediate stops. But, hey, it's a bargain, for less than a dollar.
Then, of course, you have taxis, for which the Muinicipality has published the authorized fixed fares to/from Tababela, depending on your destination, on average USD 26 APT - City, and USD 21 City-APT.

Fernando
There is some more information out now about getting to/from the new airport. Like Fernando said, there will be an airport express bus for $8, and a semi- express bus for $2 in addition to the local bus services.

Link #1 Prezi with brief information about the new airport, including options for getting there (Spanish)
http://www.vistazo.com/webpages/pais/?id=23248

Link #2 The fixed taxi fares for getting to/from the new airport listed by the neighborhood in Quito. (In Spanish, but the table is extremely useful. The first and darker blue column is prices APT-City, the second blue column is City-APT)
http://www.elcomercio.com/quito/prec...868113347.html
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
UIO / Aeropuerto Internacional Mariscal Sucre de Quito

The new airport is located about 11 miles northeast of Quito in Tababela, Pichincha Province.

Airport website (Castilian Spanish only; Keep low expectations...)

There are both Domestic and International VIP lounges. The cost is USD $20 international $USD 12 for domestic, taxes included. They offer WiFi, snacks and beverages, reading material, cable TV. They have agreements with some credit cards (they do not state which).

They offer a CIP (Commercially Important Person) service fir international arrivals and departures - personal meetings, assistance with formalities, wait in VIP lounge, etc. at +(593-2) 395-4260 ext. 2718 or ext. 2008, 24 hours daily. E-mail: [email protected]. No price listed, and no indication how much language capability other than Castilian Spanish (the website is only in Spanish at this time).

Flight arrivals (Llegada) and departures (Salida) here.

Van shuttle service is offered by Achupallas and Trans Rabbit; taxi service is offered 24/7 by the Airport Cooperative Taxi service, tel. 330-2200 local. Taxi cost to downtown is USD $27.00.

Aeroservicios runs comfortable, modern buses with "first class airline seating" (sic) and WiFi from the old airport (from the Terminal Aeroservicios) to the new airport; departures every half hour 'round the clock, 1.5 hours en route time estimated, USD $8.00 per person, bookable here. Click on "Compra tu ticket" - it's actually pretty easy.

A local bus runs from Quitumbe (south) and Rio Coca (north) bus stations - map here http://maptal.es/tales/1469#intro between 6 Am and 10 PM / 0600 - 2200 for USD $2.00, with stops. See alejoc's informative post below.

Eventually a Metro - metropolitan light rail line will connect the airport to Quito.

The same newspaper has several articles addressing the fact traffic to / from Quito can be quite congested and slow at times.

Hotels - not for a while. El Universo said, earlier in Feb 2013, "Uno de los inconvenientes que enfrentarán los pasajeros que utilizarán el nuevo aeropuerto Mariscal Sucre de esta ciudad, en Tababela, será la falta de alojamiento en los alrededores de la nueva terminal aérea." (One of the inconveniences passengers using this city's new Mariscal Sucre airport will encounter will be the lack of lodging in the vicinity of the new aerial terminal.) There are four hostels in Tababela with several rooms each - five minutes by taxi, twenty on foot. Other than that, there are no extant plans to built a hotel near the airport yet.

Mariscal (Marshal) Antonio José de Sucre y Alcalá, a Venezuelan statesman and soldier, was one of the leaders of the movement for independence of South America from Spain, and he served as President of Bolivia, Governor of Perú, General in Chief of the Army of Gran Colombia and Commander of the Army of the South. He was also Grand Marshal of Ayacucho, and was assassinated; his remains are interred at the Cathedral of Quito, Ecuador.

(Yes, it is named Aeropuerto Internacional Mariscal Sucre)

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm Reason: update with alejoc's information
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:17 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by JDiver
Eventually a Metro - metropolitan light rail line will connect the airport to Quito.
And there will be free beer every Friday.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, UA
Does anyone know anything about new service from JFK? I read (on wikipedia, so quite unverified) that TAME will add a direct JFK-UIO flight in May but I can't find any information on the TAME website. Is this just a rumor?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Mariscal (Marshal) Antonio José de Sucre y Alcalá, a Venezuelan statesman and soldier, was one of the leaders of the movement for independence of South America from Spain, and he served as President of Bolivia, Governor of Perú, General in Chief of the Army of Gran Colombia and Commander of the Army of the South. He was also Grand Marshal of Ayacucho, and was assassinated; his remains are interred at the Cathedral of Quito, Ecuador.
Is the new airport even named for Mariscal Sucre? I thought it was going to be simply Aeropuerto Internacional de Quito. I went on a press tour of the new facility while it was under construction and asked that question. I was told no more "Mariscal Sucre" in the name. Of course, that was quite some time ago and the new UIO was "ya casi listo" ... just about ready. And yet, I see a photo on the website of a sign that says AEROPUERTO INTERNACIONAL MARISCAL SUCRE. Never mind.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
Well I'm booked to fly in to Quito on Sunday. I will try and report on the experience
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:20 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Bigez747
Well I'm booked to fly in to Quito on Sunday. I will try and report on the experience
I'd be most interested in your comments. I saw it a week before opening and was most concerned at lack of info on transport (or more importantly, seeing just how bad the drive from the City to the airport could be - especially if time stressed). I really enjoyed Ecuador but have booked through GYE for the next visit - might take the train from GYE to UIO - nomatter how long it takes.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
There's really no drama. It took me about one hour in a taxi ($25) in moderate traffic. Was it a mistake to not finish the roads first? Yes. But let's not get carried away.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:00 pm

Can anyone recommend a good private transfer service from and to the new airport from Quito?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:48 pm

Hello all,

I live in Quito and have worked in the airport's construction, so I have a good knowledge of the area. The terminal is located about 40km by road from the city center, and there are several ways to get there.

The first one is the direct bus you can take in the old airport terminal, it is the safest and most cost effective way to get there. The buses have Wifi access and take about 70-100min to get to/from the terminal. The cost per passenger is $8. Info available on http://aeroservicios.com.ec/. It is much cheaper to book this bus and then a local cab once you get to the city. Always require that the taxi driver uses the taximeter and climb out of the cab if he refuses to do so.

The cheaper option is a standard bus service which takes you to/from the airport to either the Quitumbe (south) and Rio Coca (north) bus stations, where you can catch the public transport buses or Trolleybus. That bus costs $2 and makes several stops along the way in Pifo, Puembo, Tumbaco, Cumbaya and the outskirts of Quito. Be aware that they run only from 6am to 10pm. Here you can find a map of some of the stops it makes: http://maptal.es/tales/1469#intro

The most expensive option is a hired transport, I use the services of Gendetur ([email protected]) / +593-2-2413356 +593-9-99900738. They charge $30 up to 2 passengers heading to/from northeastern Quito, and charge $10 surcharge per additional passenger.

Please tell me if you have any additional questions.

Last edited by alejoc; Mar 9, 2013 at 5:00 pm
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:51 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk, alejoc.

The buses look nice, and it appears one can book tickets online at the site you linked to. The website indicates these buses run every thirty minutes from the Terminal Aeroservicios to the new Mariscal Sucre airport in Tababela and seem to run around the clock. ¡Convenientísimo! ¡Gracias! (I added your information, with credit, iin my post above.)

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 9, 2013 at 6:04 pm
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:03 pm

We may have to wait a bit for either. Some time after mañana, past even pasado mañana. ¡Salud!

Originally Posted by og
And there will be free beer every Friday.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Hotel in Tababela

Originally Posted by chavala
Thanks for this info. A google search of Garden Hotel San Jose Aeropuerto Quito this morning turns up a couple pages that can be translated. Not much real info, but it sounds like the nearby town of Tababela is gearing up for tourism.
Here is the website: http://airporthotelquito.com/

Also, www.gringotree.com has more info on the new airport---have to search within the site----ongoing comments from gringos in Ecuador
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:07 pm

Thanks alejoc for the information.

Do you or others have any idea if there are buses from the airport to Sangolqui?
it seems that the road to Quito branches off to el Valle de los Chillos half way to the capital. Would it mean a bus change at the junction or would there be something direct either to El Choclo or close to the Plaza Central?

Appreciate any advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.