Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya Airways crash in Douala, 2007

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, BAEC Gold
Kenya Airways crash in Douala, 2007

Cameroon journal reporting 2007 KQ crash is human error??

Hi - posted this in the Newstand forum but got no other responses - would love to hear what SkyTeam flyers know or have to say about this.

long time since hearing anything from anybody on this. I just read in a Cameroonian journal that sources close to the investigation are saying the cause of the crash in Mbanga-Pongo is human error - originating from the refusal of the co-pilot to engage the automatic pilot when ordered. From what I can surmise, the flight crew lost their bearings and were trying to correct the course of the plane. I have no idea as to the credibility of this source but you can check it out for yourselves at...

http://www.cameroon-info.net/cmi_show_news.php?id=23256

It's in French. If anybody finds out anything else, would love to hear about it.

st
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think that the reason you aren't seeing more information posted about the event is that no one knows, not that we don't want to share. It happened in a relatively remote area and very little has been made public about it. I don't expect much to change on that front.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, BAEC Gold
agreed - but wondering nonetheless

Certainly agreed that it is a difficult situation from which to obtain any substantial information. In fact, the article in the Cameroon news journal was the first thing I'd seen in many months. As with all such news, who knows if it's true or not but thought it interesting at the very least. Who knows, maybe someone from the Cameroon paper is best buddies with someone who knows someone in the investigation and it really IS true? Also just very interested if anyone else has heard anything at all - as I have future travel plans on KQ and will be riding in the 737-800.

st
Old Aug 31, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
The reasons for ONE crash are relatively immaterial as far as the safety of flying an airline is concerned. More important is the general seriousness of the airline and its compliance with rules . As an experienced traveler to and in Africa with no vested interest in promoting any of them, I would say that if you stick to SA, KQ, ET and NOBODY ELSE, you are as safe as can be predicted.

This being said, KQ has had more than one crash these past years (Abidjan, A 310), but this was before the KL involvement and their taking things in hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.