Korean Air to assist GARUDA INDONESIA joining Skyteam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Korean Air to assist GARUDA INDONESIA joining Skyteam

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, base with everyone else
[QUOTE=GibSpmuh;10122795]Take a look at http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/gar...492548186.html for more information. Nothing like a pilot more interested in earning their bonus for using less fuel than for the safety of their passengers.

Oh wow - it definitely reminds of what is that airline again, oh yeah USAIR. Seriously though, Garuda is so much better than US in terms of service. As far as delays...they are about the same
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love threads like this, people that rarely or never fly to a place bash a carrier. Any new carrier is an improvement. To echo what is written above, while SVO 1 AND 2 are garbage this will hopefully son be rectified. Regarding product, SU's European Business Class is better than ANY OTHER European airline (and now flown all with Airbuses, but even their Tupolov's are/were better in Business class than any other European carrier. Regarding long haul, their 767 has a great Biz product which is also better than most Euro carriers, I cannot speak to the IL's as I haven;t been on them, but I believe that they only fly to BKK and HAN in any case (I have flown to PEK and HKG numerous times and they are always 767's).
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by hfly
I love threads like this, people that rarely or never fly to a place bash a carrier. Any new carrier is an improvement. To echo what is written above, while SVO 1 AND 2 are garbage this will hopefully son be rectified. Regarding product, SU's European Business Class is better than ANY OTHER European airline (and now flown all with Airbuses, but even their Tupolov's are/were better in Business class than any other European carrier. Regarding long haul, their 767 has a great Biz product which is also better than most Euro carriers, I cannot speak to the IL's as I haven;t been on them, but I believe that they only fly to BKK and HAN in any case (I have flown to PEK and HKG numerous times and they are always 767's).
The voice of sanity, at last! ^
Old Jul 31, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
I never disagree that the pilot is at fault, but how does this equate to crashing on purpose?

Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
Take a look at http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/gar...492548186.html for more information. Nothing like a pilot more interested in earning their bonus for using less fuel than for the safety of their passengers.

That being said, if I had to choose an airline to fly on in Indonesia, Garuda is still far ahead of any of the other options available, that's for sure! They do seem to be a good fit for SkyTeam though, no doubt there.
Originally Posted by ashaboe
Pilots who crash on purpose?

While I agree with almost everything that has been written in FT about Garuda in the past few days, I don't think one should make such claim lightly.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by milesaddict
Hope it won't happen but it does ST will be once again downgraded with a terrific level...

But I wonder why it's an avantage for ST pax ? AFAIK their network is not worldwide ?

No MH, no 9W, no middle east carriers ..

A good airline is still lacking on ST.
Originally Posted by milesaddict
There is no Good carriers on ST right now.

Just over the average but nothing stunning.
Originally Posted by skrosvik
Very true.
You guys are a tough crowd. You don't consider KE to be a "good" airline? Granted, there are no SQ or EK level carriers, but "good"? I would include all the ST carriers I have flown in the "good" category.

What's wrong with expanding choices? If GA eventually joins ST, it doesn't mean you have to fly them. Personally, I think the addition of any additional carriers, destinations and expanded route networks is a good thing...whether you personally ever fly that airline or not.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I would like to see Timbuktoo air to join.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I would like to see Timbuktoo air to join.
^ +1
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another one that I love.........SQ and EK level carriers. Having flown both quite extensively and in pretty much every class of service, I am always amazed by this level of reasoning......

Let's start with EK. If you are in economy I do not understand why they are "better". They jam an extra seat ACROSS each and every one of their 777's. Yes they have inflight PTV's, but seriosuly, so do many carriers and their food isn't too great. In Biz they have seven across, and quite frankly unless you are talking about less than 20 planes in their fleet their biz seat is actually pretty crap. Yeah, their first is pretty good, however few if any people fly it, so I don't think its the criteria to judge an airline. Oh yeah, they have a wonderful biz and F product of 4-6 of their routes. As a hub the current DXB airport has now become a zoo much of the day and night and quite frankly I am sick of having to navigate over the sleeping Somalians/Eritrians, et al that take up much of the airport floorspace when I need to connect in the middle of the night (which is invariably when th eairport is busiest). Their lounges are not all that great and if you are coming in from town you can count on a minimum of a 1 hour traffic jam near the airport. They do have a bigger and badder hub being built now which I am sure will be spectacular.

SQ? Yes, their FA's are trained like robots, just have the slightest problem that they cannot deal with and they CANNOT COMPUTE and the system breaks down, same applies to Check in agents and pretty mch the entire company (Its somewhat a Singaporewide problem), their Y is nothing special, they do however do all sorts of regimented stuff that makes people think they are great. They also give ice cream and were one of the first with PTV in every seat. Give the masses TV and ice cream and they think all is great! I have always found their Biz class(es) to be some of the worst in the sky. I believe that they currently have FOUR different (could be three now) biz configs, only one of which is any good and flies on a grand total of maybe 8 routes, the other ones are either Pan Am circa 1988 or Air France circa 1995 or CX circa 2000 (one of the worst ever implemented) Their F is good, but the same as EK above applies.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I really agree about the relative nature of comparing airlines. For instance, I do find all US airlines well below their Asian and European competitors but I know some people who swear by CO. And I too avoid EK 777-300s at all cost (and now AF and KL on the same plane) because of the 10 across seating in economy while many people seem to find them wonderful. I prefer AF to KL (I like Champagne and find meals better and the service overall classier) but some colleagues prefer KL to AF because they don't like transiting at CDG (which I don't mind) and find the FAs friendlier. Believe it or not, one of my friends even loves to fly Alitalia although I suspect it goes with her taste for vintage bags and retro clothes!

Bottom line, I think that different airlines stress different things to try and please passengers and if A likes SU because of the hot meals and C class layout on short haul and B doesn't like it because of having to pay for wine and SVO transfers, we are never going to reconcile them. It is equivalent to trying to convince someone that an airline is good when on their first trip the airline lost their bag and their flight was delayed!

So in my opinion, AF, KE, OK, SU, AM and even KL are all decent airlines and overall, so is GU. There is nothing stunning about their product but they give you food and drink, their A330s and B737s are both fine, transit is usually via DPS which is not a great airport but is at least small and makes for a nice stopover. My vote: bring them in...
Old Aug 1, 2008, 2:22 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I really agree about the relative nature of comparing airlines. For instance, I do find all US airlines well below their Asian and European competitors but I know some people who swear by CO. And I too avoid EK 777-300s at all cost (and now AF and KL on the same plane) because of the 10 across seating in economy while many people seem to find them wonderful. I prefer AF to KL (I like Champagne and find meals better and the service overall classier) but some colleagues prefer KL to AF because they don't like transiting at CDG (which I don't mind) and find the FAs friendlier. Believe it or not, one of my friends even loves to fly Alitalia although I suspect it goes with her taste for vintage bags and retro clothes!

Bottom line, I think that different airlines stress different things to try and please passengers and if A likes SU because of the hot meals and C class layout on short haul and B doesn't like it because of having to pay for wine and SVO transfers, we are never going to reconcile them. It is equivalent to trying to convince someone that an airline is good when on their first trip the airline lost their bag and their flight was delayed!

So in my opinion, AF, KE, OK, SU, AM and even KL are all decent airlines and overall, so is GU. There is nothing stunning about their product but they give you food and drink, their A330s and B737s are both fine, transit is usually via DPS which is not a great airport but is at least small and makes for a nice stopover. My vote: bring them in...
Very well written post ^
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by ashaboe
Pilots who crash on purpose?

While I agree with almost everything that has been written in FT about Garuda in the past few days, I don't think one should make such claim lightly.
The alleged suicidal pilot was working for Silk Air, not Garuda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilkAir_Flight_185
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:14 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by RobertS975
The alleged suicidal pilot was working for Silk Air, not Garuda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilkAir_Flight_185
See post #18.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 5:33 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Talking

Doesn't Garuda have to wait for Vietnam Airlines, Malaysia Airlines & Bangkok Airways. Especialy Vietnam Airlines which is expected to join by next year!
Old Aug 10, 2008, 5:44 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by soorox
Doesn't Garuda have to wait for Vietnam Airlines, Malaysia Airlines & Bangkok Airways. Especialy Vietnam Airlines which is expected to join by next year!
Welcome to FT!

Where have you seen stated that VN are going to join by next year? I know they are "supposed" to join but have not as yet seen a timeframe.

As for MH, well, there have been rumours of them going for SkyTeam for the last "million" years, but nothing official yet from either side.

Regarding PG, yes, the rumours have been even flimsier.

In short, if you have any sources, please share them. Otherwise, all this is speculation whereas the discussions with GA seem (at least with regards to the deal with KR) to have a bit more substance, although I would be very surprised if they joined in the next 2-3 years.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:20 am

Plane was crashed by pilot on purpose, the NWA website says it has suspended its relationships with both Garuda and Cebu Air for safety concerns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.