Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Damage to hire car that I absolutely did not cause - Sixt trying to charge me.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:22 am

That's really strange. I have rented at least 30 times with Sixt over the last 5 years and they never sent me such a letter. However I'm pretty sure that one or two times I damaged a bumber or something under the car.

Sixt is actually a really reliable company in Germany. I know they use a lot of franchise outside Germany and they can be difficult. Hade my own experience in Norway where I got an old car with broken lights. Unfortunately the other rental car companies like Europcar, Hertz and Avis use a lot of franchise, too. And it is rather difficult to find out if it is owned or franchised.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:27 pm

Hi guys,

The car I rented was actually damage while it was in my possession, but you have no idea what they are charging me. It's more like a joke!

I've rented a car in Frankfurt and at the day of returning (13.12.2014), I found a small damage on the bumper. When returning I asked (informally) the guy who receive the car, how much he imagine it would cost. The guy said it was a very small damage, no more than 30-50 EUR.

So, after more than 2 months I received the e-mail about the cost. Look what they want to charge:

Costs as per pro-forma 1.141,63 EUR
Admin Fee 50,00 EUR
Engineer Fee 25,00 EUR
Sum 1.216,63 EUR

Together with the document with these charges they sent a bill of the actual repair costs, look how much it was:

Honorar EUR 25,00
19 % MwSt. EUR 4,75
Rechnungsbetrag inkl. MwSt. EUR 29,75

They want to charge almost 4100% more than the actual repair cost!!!

It's outrageous, I feel ofended to receive something like this.

Hopefully they will revise my case.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
I always take pictures of the rental cars prior to driving off the site, and also when I return the car

that way I have photographic proof which is date and time stamped in case I get blasted with a charge.

I normally also say to the person I give the keys to

the tank is full of gas and i have not hit anything or done any damage

covers all the bases
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by adampenrith
I always take pictures of the rental cars prior to driving off the site, and also when I return the car

that way I have photographic proof which is date and time stamped in case I get blasted with a charge.

I normally also say to the person I give the keys to
How is that going to help caiobarboza who was billed €1,216.63 for a repair that cost Sixt €29.75?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
It will help him when renting cars in the future and is good advice whichever rental firm you use. Especially if you are returning a vehicle when the office is closed.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:36 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
They've done the same thing to me a few years back and charged me almost 1300USD, I thought it was a scam then and still think it is now.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
They've done the same thing to me a few years back and charged me almost 1300USD, I thought it was a scam then and still think it is now.
Hey macdonaldj2,

but how did it ended up? Did you have to pay this sum?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by caiobarboza
Hi guys,

The car I rented was actually damage while it was in my possession, but you have no idea what they are charging me. It's more like a joke!

I've rented a car in Frankfurt and at the day of returning (13.12.2014), I found a small damage on the bumper. When returning I asked (informally) the guy who receive the car, how much he imagine it would cost. The guy said it was a very small damage, no more than 30-50 EUR.

So, after more than 2 months I received the e-mail about the cost. Look what they want to charge:

Costs as per pro-forma 1.141,63 EUR
Admin Fee 50,00 EUR
Engineer Fee 25,00 EUR
Sum 1.216,63 EUR

Together with the document with these charges they sent a bill of the actual repair costs, look how much it was:

Honorar EUR 25,00
19 % MwSt. EUR 4,75
Rechnungsbetrag inkl. MwSt. EUR 29,75

They want to charge almost 4100% more than the actual repair cost!!!

It's outrageous, I feel ofended to receive something like this.

Hopefully they will revise my case.
How small is small? Less than 5 cm? Less than 10cm? Larger than that?

I spoke with a German friend who works in the car business. The prices quoted are not "unreasonable" in that it is dealership and insurance reimbursement prices. Of course whether Sixt actually fixes it at the dealership or fix it at all is a different matter. What my friend does personally is if his vehicle is damaged by 3rd party, he would pursue insurance reimbursement but fix himself which means PROFIT. Looks like Sixt is doing the same thing.

Was the actual bill for the cost of repair or cost of the engineering fee? Seems like there is room for negotiation.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:06 pm

Fraudulent Damage Claim - me too

The wife and I rented a car from Sixt in Austria and returned it one morning (around 6.45 AM) in Vienna airport, where the Sixt lot was not manned. Absolutely no damage whatsoever, but a letter comes in the mail claiming a damages.

Reading all the other posts, I now realize that this is a regular scam they operate, perhaps directed mainly at US renters.

Some stern messages from my credit card company resulted in all charges being magically waived, further hardening my suspicion that this is an organized scam.

Time someone took the initiative to file a class action suit in an US court.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:27 pm
Suspended

I had problems with the website and I had problems when I called them (customer service). The lack of response by this company actually caused me to cancel my reservation. So I'm happy to report that I never used them. Subsequently I have no issues with them.

To those who had problems - it may not be your fault, but always, ALWAYS take a few pics of the vehicle with your cell phone, no matter what company you use!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't understand these "ten centimeter deep" scratches. That's more than two and a half inches, which would mean that there's a total cut through the metal, which would not be this thick in car panels. Could they mean ten centimeters long? Maybe, but then it seems so minor and not something that would necessarily be noticed at pick up. Is such "damage" being fixed before the vehicle is rented to another customer? Or are multiple renters being charged for the same scratch?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

caiobarboza the 25 Euro Honorar amount is not for the repair. Honorar is most of the times used for lawyer/certification/engineer/.... Fees.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
Can I ask all the posters who had issues with charges what their insurance coverage was? I am not suggesting that they're responsible of course but my understanding is that if full insurance was taken out then these issues wouldn't be a problem? The reason I ask is because I am considering the switch to Sixt, I always take out full insurance on the basis that if this type of unfortunate situation ever arises then I shouldn't be exposed. Any contradiction or clarification to this would be appreciated.

PS - hope those previous posters have got satisfaction.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:55 am

If you sign up for the full insurance including 0 deductible you won't ever have any issues. I usually not even check the car at pickup for any undocumented damage and with around 20 rentals in the last 2 years in different European countries never had any issues.

Just once... where I rented for a private trip and saved on the 0 deductible and opted for the 300€ deductible they wanted to charge me for damage which was already there when I picked up the car. The damage report said "scratch of 10cm on the front bumper" while the actual damage was easily 35cm. I showed the damage to the garage guy. He told me that the damage is noted and the Sixt system only knows four states: Undamaged, scratch under 5cm, 5-10cm and wrecked". Since the bumper was not wrecked and needed immediate replacement they put it down as 10cm damage.

Returning the car the return agent gave me hell and told me the scratch is significant larger then 10cm... Luckily I did photos during pickup and noted the name of the guy in the garage. They dropped the charge but it left a pretty bad feeling they tried to scam me since I dared not to pay up for the full insurance.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Air, American Airlines, SWA RapidRewards
Thats why, with ANY car rental through ANY company, I take photo and video around the car before I drive out, and photo and video when I return the car.

That way I already have visual evidence of the cars condition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.