Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Farrer Hotel? Comments?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

One Farrer Hotel? Comments?

It is deeply discounted on the days I am traveling. $132/night....about $156/night including taxes and fees, nonrefundable.

Is it worth it? Is it truly a nice luxury hotel as described? Seems very reasonable.

It is in Little India. Good location I guess?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Depends on what you mean by luxury. Stayed in 2016 when it first opened. Got a skyline room and it was nice, with access to Executive floor for breakfast. Didn't bother to check out other facilities.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
It's a bit of an odd place. Feels more like a convention center with hotel rooms. The room my wife and I had (in 2016) was very, very nice. Quite large, two levels. We were just there overnight catching a connection, so really don't know anything about the surrounding area. The only places to eat at the hotel were VERY expensive and we could neither afford them nor were we dressed appropriately. To be truthful, we felt a bit out of place.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:57 am

The location is ok, just next to a MRT(subway) station.
Close to little India but the actual location, to me, is just so-so.
Nothing really interesting around there, in terms of sights.

There is also a hawker center nearby (Pek Kio) which has a super famous prawn noodle shop.
The owner is kind of a soup nazi but the prawn noodle soup is really good.
Only available in the mornings.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
There is also a hawker center nearby (Pek Kio) which has a super famous prawn noodle shop.
The owner is kind of a soup nazi but the prawn noodle soup is really good.
Only available in the mornings.
+1 My favourite prawn noodle soup in Singapore.

Walkable to Farrer Park MRT and Mustafa. Next to a hospital. Location is a little odd as someone has mentioned, but still accessible to most places via MRT. If the price between this and your other option at Lavender is simiar, I would prefer to stay in Lavender, personally.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Interesting what you all say about location.

My first take was that it was just outside Little India, so thus a good location.

What am I missing?

How long would it take to walk to more interesting places from there? I like to walk.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by protagonist
Interesting what you all say about location.

My first take was that it was just outside Little India, so thus a good location.

What am I missing?

How long would it take to walk to more interesting places from there? I like to walk.
Hotel Yan is in a more walkable location, as you can walk to Little India, Arab Street, Golden Mile (Thai food mecca, or if you are taking a coach to elsewhere). The neighbourhood itself is more interesting to walk around (a lot of old shophouses, local govenment housing etc).

One Farrer, you can walk to Little India, Pek Kio, that's about it.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:07 am

Maybe check out the hotels around the Bugis area?
Bugis isnt too far from Arab st/Little India and I feel that the Bugis area is more interesting and has more sights nearby.
Can walk to Arab st, Little India, Colonial district, Fort canning park, Marina Bay
Lots of eateries around too.

Around One Farrer surrounding area, there are just mostly government flats(apartment buildings), shophouses in Little India nearby, mostly indian restaurants and shops.
Nothing much other than that, quite residential.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: most of them
I recently stayed at the Park Hotel Farrer Park which is across the street. I thought the location was very good. Having the MRT right there is quite nice. And Little India is a nice relatively low-rise neighborhood. Lots of restaurants if you like Indian food. There's also a mall nearby if you need one with some other food options.

Travel to and from the airport was fairly quick when I was traveling.

I generally like walking too but Singapore's climate is pretty oppressive so I don't walk quite as much when I am there. It's a quick subway ride to most of the big attractions
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:10 am
Original Poster

The location is actually not bad at all. It's only about a 1-minute walk from the MRT station. Little India is only one stop away and Chinatown is only 4 stops away. It's a very nice hotel if you can get a good rate.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I stayed at One Farrer for a week last year. I agree with the comment that it felt like a convention center.

However, the room was very comfortable and well maintained. And the buffet breakfast was very good.

I travel to Singapore several times each year and I'm still looking for my 'perfect' hotel. On this particular trip, I'd chosen One Farrer based up on price and the reviews for breakfast. But it was not 'the perfect hotel'. Not bad, but with so many neighborhoods and choices in Singapore, I keep looking.

A few years ago, I'd gotten into a rut and stayed repeatedly at Royal Plaza on Scotts (owned by Sultan of Brunei). Rooms are decent, but uninspired. However, the breakfast buffet is world class.

On my last trip, I stayed at the newly open Yotel Hotel on Orchard. It's just around the corner from Royal Plaza. I had a fantastic room for only $110 USD. Rooms are very compact, but well organized. And floor to ceiling windows in the toilet/shower make personal hygiene on the 29th floor a lot of fun. Highly recommended. There is a breakfast buffet for $20 SGD walk-in price. It's food, but nothing special. I'd walk to a nearby Kopitiam instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.