Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

what's in Singapore for 3 of us to visit and enjoy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's in Singapore for 3 of us to visit and enjoy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have stayed at the IC several times while a Royal Ambassador. These were award stays and IC isn't as generous as if I had paid. I had my choice of either a suite or club access. I am surprised at your experience and happy for you.
This was not an award stay, to be clear.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Hilton or Conrad? Both in Orchard Rd & steps to the Subways, stores shops and small restaurants? I will be staying there for 6 nights. How far from these US chain hotels to the zoo & the parks, Singapore Flyer, Sentosa Island, S.E.A. Underwater World, Universal Studios, Chinatown, Little India,Marina Bay Sands?
We have a 14 month son with us too.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:40 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Hilton or Conrad? Both in Orchard Rd & steps to the Subways, stores shops and small restaurants? I will be staying there for 6 nights. How far from these US chain hotels to the zoo & the parks, Singapore Flyer, Sentosa Island, S.E.A. Underwater World, Universal Studios, Chinatown, Little India,Marina Bay Sands?
I encourage you to place everything on googlemaps. This allows you to visualize locations. The Conrad will be closer to some, the Hilton closer to others. I do this quite often when I am planning sightseeing. It helps me know what items to bunch together. It took me about 5 minutes to set up google maps for the places of interest to you. Universal Studios and Underwater World both appear to be on Sentosa Island. The Flyer appears to be close to the Conrad as is Marina Bay Sands. Little India is closer to the Hilton. Chinatown is midway between the two hotels. The Zoo is well beyond the Hilton.

I had all your destinations on a map, but then took off half of them simply so you could see the group on Sentosa and near the Conrad. Once you've set up your map, you can see transporation options between various spots and whether you can walk, take the subway/bus, or take a taxi.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:50 am
Original Poster

What are the menus there? spicy meals like rice and veg or rice with veg and meat mixed? Mcdonalds everywhere for coffee and burgers?

We had difficult time in Thailand cos we could hardly find any meal that didn't contain fish sauce or sea food. We don't eat sea food.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:40 am
Suspended

All these Chains like Hilton, IHG, Hyatt are walking distance or close to Singapore Flyer, Sentosa Island, S.E.A. Underwater World, Universal Studios, Chinatown, Little India, the zoo & the parks?

Strange with Hilton award. Book 5 night you get 48K a night, book 6 night you get 48800 points a night . HEX is the Holiday Inn Express on Orchard right? Doesn't show any availability
Posting from the HEX Clarke Quay whatever you do dont come here. Its avery nice hotel, and Id stay here again for a night or 2 since Id be by myself. To say the rooms are small is an understatement! Its about the size of the bathroom I had at the IC in HK the other week. But for 20k per night it works for me alone. I think for 2 it will be a tight fit, 3 no way! Id even say pass even with connecting rooms, they are that small. most of the feel comes from very high ceilings and a slanted floor to ceiling window but the room is TINY

But its a very short ( but very humid) walk to Boat Quay, The Merlion, Chinatown all of which I did today, Was planning to go elsewhere but with the very late getting out and humidity, I decided to stick close to the hotel
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

so which iHG properties in or very close to orchard for 2 nights?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:05 am
Suspended

so which iHG properties in or very close to orchard for 2 nights?
The reg HI used to be called HI Orchard Rd, its 35k I think if they allow it you should get 3 in a room. It was a good thing I had only my carry-on rollerboard with me,otherwise there wouldnt have been any place to put a reg suitcase. Dont know what those who staying with another person does with the 2nd carry-on. Thats how tiny the rooms are

Or apx a 20 min walk is the IC at 50k a night, never stayed there but if its Orchard Rd you want then its the HI for IHG, theres SPG,Hyatt,MR and Hilton as well, least amount of pts is the HI but which is easiest to earn back is a YMMV issue
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
The reg HI used to be called HI Orchard Rd, its 35k I think if they allow it you should get 3 in a room. It was a good thing I had only my carry-on rollerboard with me,otherwise there wouldnt have been any place to put a reg suitcase. Dont know what those who staying with another person does with the 2nd carry-on. Thats how tiny the rooms are

Or apx a 20 min walk is the IC at 50k a night, never stayed there but if its Orchard Rd you want then its the HI for IHG, theres SPG,Hyatt,MR and Hilton as well, least amount of pts is the HI but which is easiest to earn back is a YMMV issue
what you mean by HI?
Holiday Inn?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:48 pm
Suspended

what you mean by HI?
Holiday Inn?
http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels...w.ul.6c&qWch=0
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Is there still street food in Singapore (besides mobile ice cream vendors)?

The mall is called Raffles City, atop the station City Hall, which is confusingly the next stop from Raffles Place (office buildings).

Also if you wish to go to Marina Bay Sands it's at the station called Bay Front, not Marina Bay (office buildings and construction site).

Have fun.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Singapore has high standards for hygiene, including food safety. If you avoid fancy restaruants, food is cheap. It's one of the few places where I feel comfortable eating street food. I think it would be easier than Hong Kong with a baby or toddler.

Singapore has the zoo and night zoo, orchard garden, tree tops thing near Marina Bay Sands, a number of interesting and welcoming mosques and historical churches, the baint ferris wheel, helix bridge, waterfront and river boat cruises, plus all the stuff for families to do on Sentosa.

The Fairmont is on top of a big mall called Raffles Center, including a big grocery store and food court in the basement. The subway station is a major interchange, IIRC called Government Center. It's across a major street from the side entrance to Raffles Hotel.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:53 am

I have been chided by others on this forum for posting links to my videos before, but I think the following videos that I am posting will help the OP.

First, a map of the MRT system.

Go to this website for more info -
http://www.smrt.com.sg/Journey-with-...on-Information

This video shows you the location of Marriot, Grand Hyatt and Royal Plaza on Scotts. All within close proximity to Orchard MRT station.
http://youtu.be/EPUXn3coyWE

This video gives you a glimpse of the Marina Area hotels, this one is the Pan Pacific which is linked the Marina Square Mall.
http://youtu.be/gAXTI2UaE2I

This video (taken from my car cam) will show you the entire Orchard Road, pass the City Hall area, including Fairmont and Swissotel Stamford which are located right on top of City Hall MRT station, and also the newer Marina Bay Sands.
http://youtu.be/19fYRHPciUc

I hope you find these useful.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by roverkt
Is there still street food in Singapore (besides mobile ice cream vendors)?
Depends on what you define as street food. No more mobile food vendors or hawkers by the road side. All of them are in food courts and hawker centres.

The more famous ones would include Lau Pa Sat and Newton Food Center. Some food I had at the Newton Food Center in this video - Satay, Char Kway Teow, Chendol and a small Coconut.
http://youtu.be/qlxP5P3JiY4

Every mall would have some food court.

Last edited by iluvcruising2; Mar 4, 2015 at 6:28 am
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:57 am

What are the menus there? spicy meals like rice and veg or rice with veg and meat mixed? Mcdonalds everywhere for coffee and burgers?

We had difficult time in Thailand cos we could hardly find any meal that didn't contain fish sauce or sea food. We don't eat sea food.
We have all types of food in Singapore. I am sure you can find something that suits your palate. Oh yes, lots of fast food chains all over the place too. But there are so many restaurants and eateries to choose from, there is no need to eat at fast food outlets.

What do you eat?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:27 am

This is the official Singapore Tourism website - http://www.yoursingapore.com/

Useful place to look for ideas on what to do.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
We have all types of food in Singapore. I am sure you can find something that suits your palate. Oh yes, lots of fast food chains all over the place too. But there are so many restaurants and eateries to choose from, there is no need to eat at fast food outlets.

What do you eat?
I eat rice and veg, stri fried beef and veg with rice. All the other foods like fried rice, kong pao chicken, chowmein. Also some Thai and Vietnamese dishes. Love spicy & unsweetened dishes. I don't eat any sea food and not a fan of pork though I do eat it sometimes. I love indian dishes too.
Are we gonna face misery?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.