Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

what's in Singapore for 3 of us to visit and enjoy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

I am still debating between Seoul & Hong Kong or Seoul & Singapore. I am being told that Singapore is a better place to visit for families. I have two of us and 14 months old baby. I also heard the Singapore is more expensive. My flight and hotel stay will be covered by my miles & points but will have to shell out cash for food, inner city transportation costs and visit tickets. We will be flying from ORD. Please advise us the convinient hotel, the areas to go for cheaper food and also attractions, gardens to visit. We will be staying for 5 days only or 7 days. I have UA, AA, US airways miles and BA for flight & Hilton with gold status, Hyatt , IHG & CC points for hotel stay. Thanks for any advise, recommendations and information.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Jan 18, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
For a 14month old it's a wash. I would be inclined to go to HK given the shorter flights and limited time you have. Singapore with kids is easily worth 5+ days

More than enough to see and impress the little one. If it was a 4+ yr old then my view would be different...

In HK - peak tram; old tram on the island; star ferry; trip to an outlying island; ocean park; Stanley market & you've got a full schedule.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
For a 14month old it's a wash. I would be inclined to go to HK given the shorter flights and limited time you have. Singapore with kids is easily worth 5+ days

More than enough to see and impress the little one. If it was a 4+ yr old then my view would be different...

In HK - peak tram; old tram on the island; star ferry; trip to an outlying island; ocean park; Stanley market & you've got a full schedule.
Where in Singapore do you suggest we stay? Any chain hotels like Hilton, Hyatt, IHG or CC properties and center of the food stalls, the cheap restaurants, the gardens , the malls and stroller friendly area. Little India is in the center?
Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
On a budget, I can recommend you begin with the free 2 h Singapore tour. Sign up at Changi Airport - first departure is 9 am, but you need to sign up at 8:00 am in the transit area.

Public transit is uber cheap. Tickets are less than 2 Saigon $. Infants travel for free.

I stayed at the Fairmont. It has two outdoor pools - one reserved for kids!

Food in Chinatown is cheap. Also, SIN is a shopper's paradise and wondering around the a/c malls is free!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
On a budget, I can recommend you begin with the free 2 h Singapore tour. Sign up at Changi Airport - first departure is 9 am, but you need to sign up at 8:00 am in the transit area.

Public transit is uber cheap. Tickets are less than 2 Saigon $. Infants travel for free.

I stayed at the Fairmont. It has two outdoor pools - one reserved for kids!

Food in Chinatown is cheap. Also, SIN is a shopper's paradise and wondering around the a/c malls is free!
What part of Singapore is it in? I don't have any membership status with Fairmont.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Where in Singapore do you suggest we stay? Any chain hotels like Hilton, Hyatt, IHG or CC properties and center of the food stalls, the cheap restaurants, the gardens , the malls and stroller friendly area. Little India is in the center?
Thanks
Singapore is more stroller friendly than HK, but still not great.

Last few times we've been with the kids we've stayed in a serviced apartment (Lanson Place) but tripadvisor ratings suggest it's not as good as it used to be which is a shame.

Hotels are however typically of a high standard. The Holiday Inn Orchard City Centre rates highly and is well located. The Hilton is right next to a kids' mall; the Conrad has a huge food court pretty much underneath it; the Fairmont would probably be a winner for transport links as it sits ontop of a big MRT interchange; the Hyatt is well located but I think quite expensive - again close to the kids' mall.

However I still think given the time you have, HK is a better bet than Singapore.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Singapore has high standards for hygiene, including food safety. If you avoid fancy restaruants, food is cheap. It's one of the few places where I feel comfortable eating street food. I think it would be easier than Hong Kong with a baby or toddler.

Singapore has the zoo and night zoo, orchard garden, tree tops thing near Marina Bay Sands, a number of interesting and welcoming mosques and historical churches, the baint ferris wheel, helix bridge, waterfront and river boat cruises, plus all the stuff for families to do on Sentosa.

The Fairmont is on top of a big mall called Raffles Center, including a big grocery store and food court in the basement. The subway station is a major interchange, IIRC called Government Center. It's across a major street from the side entrance to Raffles Hotel.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Singapore has high standards for hygiene, including food safety. If you avoid fancy restaruants, food is cheap. It's one of the few places where I feel comfortable eating street food. I think it would be easier than Hong Kong with a baby or toddler.

Singapore has the zoo and night zoo, orchard garden, tree tops thing near Marina Bay Sands, a number of interesting and welcoming mosques and historical churches, the baint ferris wheel, helix bridge, waterfront and river boat cruises, plus all the stuff for families to do on Sentosa.

The Fairmont is on top of a big mall called Raffles Center, including a big grocery store and food court in the basement. The subway station is a major interchange, IIRC called Government Center. It's across a major street from the side entrance to Raffles Hotel.
Thanks for lists of the places we can go and see.
Is it easy to get around on local city train? Do they run 24/7 and stations are almost everywhere in NY or Chicago? Baby friendly stations and has elevators?
Since I am not paying out of pocket cost for my flight and hotel stay, I will used my points for hotel stay and It will have to be Hilton, Hyatt, CC or IHG properties. The best location for us is where we will stay.
Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Is it easy to get around on local city train?
Within Central Business District and around touristy/shopping areas - yes. For the rest - excellent bus coverage. Search and download Singapore Maps app and after downloading the app - download offline map, you can get an idea quickly where you are. I'd suggest to get data SIM card after arrival (S$28) so you can have internet to go and get routing from A to B as well.

Do they run 24/7 and stations are almost everywhere in NY or Chicago?
No. Public transport stops running around midnight. Regarding train stops around the city take a look http://www.streetdirectory.com/

Baby friendly stations and has elevators?
Every train station has elevators.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

if I book using my Hyatt, HIlton, CC miles, what location should I look ? Is there a specific name of the area? Prefer a central that has restaurants, chain restaurants, shops, grocery stores within walking distance.
Will be easier with a baby when you are close to shops & restaurants.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: HHonors, Club Carlson, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, United MileagePlus
if I book using my Hyatt, HIlton, CC miles, what location should I look ? Is there a specific name of the area? Prefer a central that has restaurants, chain restaurants, shops, grocery stores within walking distance.
Will be easier with a baby when you are close to shops & restaurants.
Orchard Road is probably what you are looking for.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjd0008
Orchard Road is probably what you are looking for.
and names of 3 hotels you recommend in that location please?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:32 am
Suspended

and names of 3 hotels you recommend in that location please?
theres an intersection on Orchard Rd I believe with Scott, where within a block you have The Hilton (Conrad is close by the Wheel and the CBD), Marriott,Hyatt, Sheraton,St Regis,a couple of Holiday Inns.

If I recall correctly The Hilton and Marriott are mixed use buildings = they sit on top of a shopping mall building. I believe The Sheraton and Hyatt are only hotels and the HIs depend on which one they fall into both hotel only and mixed use

The Grand Hyatt is 20k, while The Sheraton is 12k, while The Hilton or Conrad are 60k, The Holiday Inn Orchard City Center is 35k and is a hotel only (Ive stayed here its a short walk off of Orchard, 1 block gets a bit seedy late at night but there are several others one can walk down to get there.Marriott is 40k

Now which amounts to the better deal depends on how you earned or plan to replinish the pts and what status if any you have with each chain = if youd get an upgrade or free breakfast or lounge access. The HI didnt give me as a Plat a free breakfast, The Marriott did as well as The Hilton or Sheraton if I had stayed there

Personally rolling into town for 2 nights next week and staying at a Hex since it was 20k per night, read rooms are small and tight but its only me and will be there just for just 1 breakfast, so it will do fine. Im in town for all of 36 hrs otherwise I would have done 1 night at The Shearton for a stay credit and 1 at the CP at the airport (40k)

Last edited by craz; Feb 12, 2015 at 2:47 am
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The Opmentioned they are from ORD, I dont know about AA,BA or US but all thye UA flights get in very late at night = if they fly UA and dont stay at the CP at the airport it doesnt pay to go back there just for the free tour,IMO. Even if they stay at the CP by the time they get into the room its gonna be after 12am and that will also KO that free tour At least it did for me
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
theres an intersection on Orchard Rd I believe with Scott, where within a block you have The Hilton (Conrad is close by the Wheel and the CBD), Marriott,Hyatt, Sheraton,St Regis,a couple of Holiday Inns.

If I recall correctly The Hilton and Marriott are mixed use buildings = they sit on top of a shopping mall building. I believe The Sheraton and Hyatt are only hotels and the HIs depend on which one they fall into both hotel only and mixed use

The Grand Hyatt is 20k, while The Sheraton is 12k, while The Hilton or Conrad are 60k, The Holiday Inn Orchard City Center is 35k and is a hotel only (Ive stayed here its a short walk off of Orchard, 1 block gets a bit seedy late at night but there are several others one can walk down to get there.Marriott is 40k

Now which amounts to the better deal depends on how you earned or plan to replinish the pts and what status if any you have with each chain = if youd get an upgrade or free breakfast or lounge access. The HI didnt give me as a Plat a free breakfast, The Marriott did as well as The Hilton or Sheraton if I had stayed there

Personally rolling into town for 2 nights next week and staying at a Hex since it was 20k per night, read rooms are small and tight but its only me and will be there just for just 1 breakfast, so it will do fine. Im in town for all of 36 hrs otherwise I would have done 1 night at The Shearton for a stay credit and 1 at the CP at the airport (40k)
I have Hilton gold, IHG platinum, Hyatt but no status, can pay extra points for club room. I have CC gold. I checked hilton with poitns for 6 night, it shows 49800 points a night and no free 1 night for 6 night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.