Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

What does Singapore have that other SE Asian countries don't?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

A lot of people miss of SG from their plans because of its small size and the belief that anything in SG can be done better in other countries.

However, Singapore is my favourite country in Asia, and personally I feel the food, the shopping, and the civilised way of life contribute a lot to make foreigners feel at home (as tourists).

What would you say is the main thing about Singapore that cannot be replicated anywhere else in the region - if anything?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
An absolute sense of safety: food, personal, etc.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:03 am

The MRT?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:10 am

The combination of everything.

English speaking, well educated people, safety, 24hrs lifestyle, good public transport (train is coming, train is coming, train is coooming ) AND taxis, low criminality (low crime doesn't mean no crime ), great choices of food (not THAT overpriced even if compared to around Singapore), good hotels (even if expensive)...

Generally, it's the deal if you want something you can trust.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
The combination of everything.

English speaking, well educated people, safety, 24hrs lifestyle, good public transport (train is coming, train is coming, train is coooming ) AND taxis, low criminality (low crime doesn't mean no crime ), great choices of food (not THAT overpriced even if compared to around Singapore), good hotels (even if expensive)...

Generally, it's the deal if you want something you can trust.
This and high standards for food safety. Singapore is about the only place where I don't worry about eating street food.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:18 am
uk1
Suspended

Class.

It isn't just one thing - it is the whole package.

It will never suit all but those things that others seem to hate are the things I love. THe over-control in the current increasingly unsafe world is what I like. I like street food from clean places. The hotels seem excpetional. Transportation is cheap and exceptional. The people are wonderful. We're now spending up to 10 weeks or so per year in Singapore over up to three trips. I now have an (almost) second home there. The same suite every visit and set up exactly how we like it every visit. All I need to do now is get rid of the haze risk ......

We must keep this thread UP!

Singapore NOT just a stopover
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I also like the way the different groups seem to get along in general and are accepting/welcoming to others.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Two things:

First one, which nobody mentioned specifically, but I think is a HUGE deal in this particular region: Singapore is the only country in 2000 miles radius where you can drink tap water anywhere without risking 'getting' something in return.

Second one, this you release once you move here from States/EU: you are paying 1/3 of taxes for the same income you had in your home. (yes, I know that US citizens are taxed from the worldwide income and I can quote you Publication 59.

And yes, I know that rent for 1br - where you can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting walls - is higher than mortgage for for 6br 3 floor McMansion back home. But still)

Last edited by invisible; Jul 7, 2014 at 9:36 am
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by jpatokal
The MRT?
Absolutely - affordable, comfortable and efficient public transport is one of the tangible differentiators from the rest of SE Asia.

But theres a price: as a destination it's largely lacking anything to attract travellers, other than those on a first trip ... or others who don't much like travelling.

As a place to work, or to stop-off on the way to somewhere interesting, it works just fine. I'm always more than happy to spend a couple of days there - but as a tourism destination in its own right, surely it's got to be something of a niche market.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Absolutely - affordable, comfortable and efficient public transport is one of the tangible differentiators from the rest of SE Asia.

But theres a price: as a destination it's largely lacking anything to attract travellers, other than those on a first trip ... or others who don't much like travelling.

As a place to work, or to stop-off on the way to somewhere interesting, it works just fine. I'm always more than happy to spend a couple of days there - but as a tourism destination in its own right, surely it's got to be something of a niche market.
^ Great business city and base for hopping around Asia to the more interesting destinations (ie almost anywhere else). As a holiday destination, for the unadventurous only. Even their version of a Ferris wheel went bust!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:26 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

You sound like you are prescribing solutions for others that work precisely for you or what you feel should work for everyone. I'm sure you do not mean to. Not everything that works for you works for everyone. It isn't a matter of being better or worst for everyone it is what fits best for every individual.

Everybody are at different stages in their travel and explorings. I've spent a lifetime on planes and going to strange places and have travelled much more than most and in the end when you are happy not to explore - and simply want a change of scenery and relax in somewhere easy and familiar - you might then choose after those travels from what you have learned and what you distil you want. Singapore to us is an extension of home. We just decamp from one home to another home and spend time there for a change of scenery. The hotel is familar and home. And so is Singapore. The same suite, the same staff.

That is good enough for us.

Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by uk1
You sound like you are prescribing solutions for others that work precisely for you or what you feel should work for everyone. I'm sure you do not mean to. Not everything that works for you works for everyone. It isn't a matter of being better or worst for everyone it is what fits best for every individual.
Not to start a flame war, but you seem to be doing the same. You love Singapore and it works for you. That's great.

I spent several days there last year and will return for several more in October. I like the place. I think there are some interesting tourist things to see and do. And IMHO the people are gorgeous...some of the best looking men I have seen anywhere. I liked the diversity of the people.

But I have to say that when I am going halfway around the world I like to explore a bit outside the comfort zone. I prefer Thailand because it is familiar enough but at the same time totally different and there's so much diversity of scenery from one end of the country to the other. Some of the more "rustic" destinations around the region are just a lot more interesting to me.

However, if you want some place comfortable (or as comfortable as you can get in that climate anyway) then for sure Singapore is a good place to be.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Two things:

First one, which nobody mentioned specifically, but I think is a HUGE deal in this particular region: Singapore is the only country in 2000 miles radius where you can drink tap water anywhere without risking 'getting' something in return.
The tap water in Malaysia is fine to drink.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by blahter
The tap water in Malaysia is fine to drink.
If you boil it before, only.

Singapore, on the contrary, the water is generally safe to drink straight from tap.

And even for Singapore, some websites do have it on "not THAT safe to drink, comparative with cities like Marrakech or Rome)"

http://safewater.heroku.com/search/singapore/singapore
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:25 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Not to start a flame war, but you seem to be doing the same. You love Singapore and it works for you. That's great.

I spent several days there last year and will return for several more in October. I like the place. I think there are some interesting tourist things to see and do. And IMHO the people are gorgeous...some of the best looking men I have seen anywhere. I liked the diversity of the people.

But I have to say that when I am going halfway around the world I like to explore a bit outside the comfort zone. I prefer Thailand because it is familiar enough but at the same time totally different and there's so much diversity of scenery from one end of the country to the other. Some of the more "rustic" destinations around the region are just a lot more interesting to me.

However, if you want some place comfortable (or as comfortable as you can get in that climate anyway) then for sure Singapore is a good place to be.
Not meaning to start a flame war, but you seemed to have repeated and agreed entirely and exactly with the point in the reply I made. Singapore is right for some but not all. It is wrong for some but not all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.