Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24 hours in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by uk1
BKK taxis v SIN taxis! Discuss .........
When I lived in SIN (so my comments up-thread are not those of a single visit) the taxi drivers bought the license with no equivalent of "The Knowledge". This resulted in about 1 in 5 of my drivers not being able to take me to work .... one of the two largest hospitals on the Island.

Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Been to Hong Kong twice...first time I loved it second time I spent the days wondering what it was that made me like it so much the first time. Why people keep going on about how good it is I'll never know.
Hong Kong is spectacular if you want to sit and look at the harbour, but beyond Victoria Peak and the Star Ferry, I don't find it a particularly interesting city.

I've been to Singapore maybe 5-6 times, always en route to or from somewhere else, and always enjoyed my stays there. Great hotels, great food, nice and hot (perhaps too humid for some people's liking) and big enough (though not too big) to keep you occupied for a couple of days.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:38 am

I meant to add, so many people stay in the city. But there is so much to see travelling round the island. Changi is very moving IMHO, raffles marina and club for true luxury! Kepple bay,.... But in 24 hours that probably isn't practical.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
BKK taxis v SIN taxis! Discuss .........
they work and are a bargain but blimey sometimes its not as easy as people make out. sliding about in the back of an older one on the vinyl during the relentless gas brake gas can be hard work if jetlagged too. the shift change palarver can be a pain as well if you are not used to it and need one in a hurry.

i do love the bossy marshall woman at SIN though it always makes me smile after a long flight, there is no messing about with her.

as a Londoner I find it difficult to be impressed with any other citys cabs though, parochially.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Dear Mods - I would be very grateful if you could please give this the customary run here before moving it elsewhere!

My employer kindly offered me business class tickets to anywhere in the world for a weekend away.

So I decided to go to Singapore because I have not been before.

I will be arriving at 8pm on this Friday evening and leaving at 9.30pm on Saturday evening and will be staying somewhere in or near city but not sure exactly where yet.

The way I see it I have a night and an afternoon to do some sightseeing.

So what should I do?

I am keeping an open mind apart from one thing. I absolutely have to eat crispy belly pork and/or pork ribs.

Advice welcome!
Sixth Freedom, that's a cool reward, enjoy your trip, is your employer recruiting
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:05 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by cat 35
i do love the bossy marshall woman at SIN though it always makes me smile after a long flight, there is no messing about with her.
Not experienced it. Always do JetQuay.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).
Originally Posted by uk1
Two potential wrongs don't make a right but I can feel a discussion coming on about the merits of the US legal system with respect to the trials without adequate access to justice and the inevitable execution of innocent people ......... but I won't!
The most important difference being that in US it is not a mandatory death sentence. In Singapore it is: if one is carrying 15 grams or more, it is death: whether that person was aware of it or not.

Besides, not all people in US support the death penalty.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
If you need a new watch - Singapore is the place to buy it.
If you need a fake new watch: then BKK is the place to buy it.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice chaps. ^

I think that the Botanical Gardens are the place to go and occupy myself. It is always nice to see plenty of good greenery after being here in the desert for a while.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:24 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by WhitePlains
The most important difference being that in US it is not a mandatory death sentence. In Singapore it is: if one is carrying 15 grams or more, it is death: whether that person was aware of it or not.

Besides, not all people in US support the death penalty.

I do understand your point. But you raised the context of justice in Singapore from your standpoint as an American. And the impostion of the death penalty in America is a bit of a lottery - often with very little to do with justice.

May I just raise the following point if I promise I won't pursue it further!

Most Brits - and perhaps many Americans - might be unaware that for example in Florida, having had a "hand picked" jury (if you get my meaning ) that a conclusion of guilt can be arrived at by a simply majority (ie not found guilty "beyond all doubt" as in British Law) and that the same jury will in capital cases vote on whether a death penalty be imposed. Although currently being debated - it is not the judge who decides and that decision again is decided on a simple majority ie 7 out of 12 jurors. So a majority verdict followed by a majority arrived at sentence from a hand-picked jury that has no chance of being commuted by the Governor.

The defendant is often represented by a court appointed lawyer of variable quality and my link below gives some detail of how poor these lawyers can be. The so called appeals procedure involves a politican - governor - arbitrating on whether the sentence be carried out. The politician has often campaigned on being a death penalty supporter and knows he will be unelectable if he commutes any sentences whatsoever.

The condemed person can then languish on death row for decades - often being prepared for death and sometimes being taken and strapped into the instruments of execution - only then to receive a last minute reprieve. Most people would consider that appalling torture. The justice system in the US as you (may) know is not justice driven but process driven.

I only detail this because I think it reasonable to remind - and a genuinely friendly reminder to someone who may even share the same views - that there is no position of strength that any of us can really pronounce from on justice in Singapore! At least it can be described as being very clear .... and Singapore has as a result provided a safe place for it's citizens. Something many of us envy!

Moderator apology in advance. Pith helmet on.

Last edited by uk1; Oct 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm Reason: shpelling and "Florida"
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:26 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Thanks for the advice chaps. ^

I think that the Botanical Gardens are the place to go and occupy myself. It is always nice to see plenty of good greenery after being here in the desert for a while.
I'm not an orchid man .... . but the Orchid Garden in the Royal Botanic Gardens is wonderful. Go just as it opens and walk in the opposite to the arrow directions so that you pass rather than follow people. My tip of the day!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:40 pm

hotel wise of course you are spoilt for choice in most ranges but on a budget Hotel Re pearls hill (chin swee road for the inevitable debate with the cabby) is my new recent favourite. converted school done out very bonkers-ly. you get the choice of elvis or marilyn monroe rooms each as garish as the other. very very reasonable and good fun.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:42 pm

Not read all of the above, but dont waste your time going up the Marina Bay Sands development (the three towers). If you are purely paying to go up for a look as a tourist, it's pretty naff up top. We were massively let-down by it - far far far better was the Singapore Flyer (amazing).

Shame your timings won't really work for doing the Night Zoo - that's incredible too.

Enjoy!

Oh - and I can recommend the Club Floor @ The Mandarin Oriental.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747_not_777

Oh - and I can recommend the Club Floor @ The Mandarin Oriental.
^ +1

It was my fav hotel as well when I went over there.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by uk1
I guess FT must be telling me I'm getting old!

For us on our visits - every day is pretty much the same. We just go and get up really early and go for a really long wander - many or perhaps most days in places like Botanic Gardens. Spend all morning thinking about lunch. Then lunch with lots of beer. Back for a doze. Afternoon tea. Sometimes a visit somewhere. Happy hour or three in the lounge. Out for more food and a wander. Bed. Can't do this in Blighty in February etc

I'm only ever bored when doing things. Only ever happy when doing nothing with nothing planned. To me that's bliss. Singapore is a great place to do nothing and eat great food.
Sounds exactly like my ideal day in SIN. Having been to other parts of Asia, I always like going back to SIN for the right mix of eating (I love the variety) and doing nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.