FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   24 hours in Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1273049-24-hours-singapore.html)

Sixth Freedom Oct 26, 2011 9:46 am

24 hours in Singapore

Dear Mods - I would be very grateful if you could please give this the customary run here before moving it elsewhere!

My employer kindly offered me business class tickets to anywhere in the world for a weekend away. :)

So I decided to go to Singapore because I have not been before.

I will be arriving at 8pm on this Friday evening and leaving at 9.30pm on Saturday evening and will be staying somewhere in or near city but not sure exactly where yet.

The way I see it I have a night and an afternoon to do some sightseeing.

So what should I do?

I am keeping an open mind apart from one thing. I absolutely have to eat crispy belly pork and/or pork ribs.

Advice welcome! :D

dnajockey Oct 26, 2011 9:50 am

Change your mind. A dull, antiseptic dictatorship.

Good food though.

Swanhunter Oct 26, 2011 9:55 am

Originally Posted by dnajockey (Post 17338817)

Good food though.

Agree - I'd rather go to Hong Kong or Tokyo. And frankly the food is as good - if different - in Tokyo though there is less pork.

However if you have to visit the Basingstoke of SE Asia, the following are OK for a visit

* Night zoo
* Lau Pa Sat hawker centre
* Wander round Chinatown and Little India
* A couple of the museums I can't remember the names of but will update shortly

rossmacd Oct 26, 2011 9:57 am

HKG over SIN any day of the week!

I find SIN particularly soulless and uninteresting. However, I am sure this thread will start the HKG/SIN debate once again ;)

origin Oct 26, 2011 9:57 am

The National Musuem
The Musuem in the Raffles Hotel (3rd floor)
Bukit Chandu Museum

bseller Oct 26, 2011 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 17338793)

So what should I do?

I would plan to visit the Orchid Garden, do some window shopping on Orchard Road, spend a little time on the river, maybe do a boat tour. Have a beer at Boat Quay, or Clarke Quay, go to the Battle Box in Fort Canning, and eat, eat, eat!!

I saw a show just last night about Laksa that looked just GREAT at 51 East Coast Rd. Not a difficult cab ride from the center.
Have fun!
Dave

Grande Annee Oct 26, 2011 9:58 am

I have only stopped there on way to/from Oz.
It's nice and clean and fine for a stopover, but not a lot to see IMO. A Singapore Sling in the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel!!
Go somewhere else :D

johnnie69 Oct 26, 2011 10:00 am

I had 36 hours in Singapore en route to Oz over Xmas/New year.
Agreed it's not as buzzy and interesting as Bangkok or HK but still enough to do. The zoo is good, there's a cable car ride over to Sentosa Island, Raffles (for way overpiced pre mixed slings), take the lift to the top of the Marina Bay Sands hotel for the view (or even better stay there so you can use the infinity pool).
We took the open top buz around and jumped on and off at will. Might be a good option in s hort amount of time. Food we found was fine, just get off the main tourist drag.
Enjoy

origin Oct 26, 2011 10:00 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 17338870)
However, I am sure this thread will start the HKG/SIN debate once again ;)

No this thread will start the debate about how he is getting there. If he is flying on BA from LHR then he shoudl really wait until after the 16th Nov, as the EC Tier Points increase from then. :D

dark_horse Oct 26, 2011 10:03 am

I agree as well. Singapore is exceptionally sterile and causes the anarchist in one to scream "I just want to make something slightly untidy!"

However, I reckon 24-hours in Singapore is about perfect. You'll have done it and can say you have done it. That sounds like sarcasm, but it isn't. I think you've made the right choice.

It's been years since I last went there (for 48 hours! :)) but I remember visiting some equivalent of Science Museum, and a bird sanctuary. The latter was quite good.

Otherwise my usual practice is to arrive in a city, point in a direction and walk (remembering not to cross the road until you have a green light, or you'll be fined!).

paulwuk Oct 26, 2011 10:05 am

Originally Posted by origin (Post 17338898)
No this thread will start the debate about how he is getting there. If he is flying on BA from LHR then he shoudl really wait until after the 16th Nov, as the EC Tier Points increase from then. :D

Thank you!

It's an ultra-long haul too, so even more points (an extra 40 each way over current levels in J?). It does seem a waste to be going before the 16th.

Bangkok is nicer than Singapore. I'd advise having a drink, and maybe a swim, at the Marina Bay Sands Hotel.

rossmacd Oct 26, 2011 10:08 am

And it must be said that you have very kind employers!! :D

kburges Oct 26, 2011 10:10 am

Originally Posted by dnajockey (Post 17338817)

Good food though.

i agree go to HK/BKK instead

LondonAndy Oct 26, 2011 10:13 am

Firstly, how do I get a job with your employer? :D

It wouldn't be my first choice of place to visit, although it was a handy stop-off on a round-the-world trip. To answer your question, it depends what is your sort of thing (apart from pork eating!). My wife and I, before the kids, had a great time wandering around the botanical gardens, which had an outstanding orchid display - it enjoyed wandering around, but I appreciate it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Talking of tea, we had a fabulous afternoon tea at the Chihuly Lounge at the THE RITZ-CARLTON, MILLENIA SINGAPORE - we both love afternoon tea, and really like this glass artist's work, so it was a great afternoon.

Enjoy the trip.

ColdWalker Oct 26, 2011 10:18 am

Sure it's sterile, but you don't have to set up home there! I really like Singapore. Another vote from me for the botanic and orchid gardens. Sentosa is great if you turn off your kitch chip, especially the foutain show! A sling in Raffles is not worth it IMHO (About the only positive is that you have done 'it', but unfortunately 'it' is disappointing). Boat quay has a nice feel for something to eat in the evening, a food hall at lunch time is an absolute must (any likely looking hall you come across). Orchard road is OK if you really feel the need for retail therapy, but the prices are not that great these days and the range is generally(with some exceptions) very international. And remember you are very, very safe so walk, walk walk and get a feel for the real place.

Just don't spit your gum ;)