Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Given up Krisflyer for other FFP

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Given up Krisflyer for other FFP

I've been Krisflyer member for more than 3 yrs. and was only recently upgraded to Gold fr Jan 2014. But due to the change of job scope, i do not think i could still "maintain" 50k miles within the next 12 mths.

Hence, made a hard decision, switching to A3 programme. 20k miles is relatively easier for me. i will still be taking SQ flights though.

Old FFP: SQ KF, Gold status
New FFP: A3
Main Reason: easy maintain *G status and continue to enjoy its benefits.

anyone of u here had same exp?
Old May 17, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Welcome to FT!

It shouldn't have been a hard decision in the first place - it makes total sense for you to make the switch.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:22 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
I would still mention a few things though:
- you may not be able to redeem easily on SQ and I'm not sure if the redemption rate is interesting.
- You cannot combine your miles earned in the air with miles earned via credit card.
- The only real advantage of KF Gold is the lounge access. Knowing the busy lounge at T2/T3, I still prefer to go to a cafe or use the free lounge access that comes with a credit card (ANZ for example), they may even pay for the ride to the airport if you spend enough.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Done this long ago.

You may want to consider OZ too.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
I would still mention a few things though:
- you may not be able to redeem easily on SQ and I'm not sure if the redemption rate is interesting.
- You cannot combine your miles earned in the air with miles earned via credit card.
- The only real advantage of KF Gold is the lounge access. Knowing the busy lounge at T2/T3, I still prefer to go to a cafe or use the free lounge access that comes with a credit card (ANZ for example), they may even pay for the ride to the airport if you spend enough.
You are quite right. Hence i will only maintain silver status with SQ to get 25% bonus miles after i got *G with A3.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tycosiao
Done this long ago.

You may want to consider OZ too.
could be next target after A3 *G

by the way, how long did you tk to be *G for OZ?
Old May 18, 2014, 6:25 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by shane2000
You are quite right. Hence i will only maintain silver status with SQ to get 25% bonus miles after i got *G with A3.
What I meant, is that if you live in SIN and fly SQ most of the time, I'm not sure you even need A3 Gold...
Old May 18, 2014, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
What I meant, is that if you live in SIN and fly SQ most of the time, I'm not sure you even need A3 Gold...
Yes i'll need it. My current KFEG will expire in Jan15. I won't be able to achieve 50k miles this yr to maintain KFEG.
so A3 *G will allow me to continue enjoying *G benefits
Old May 18, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Yes i'll need it. My current KFEG will expire in Jan15. I won't be able to achieve 50k miles this yr to maintain KFEG.
so A3 *G will allow me to continue enjoying *G benefits
Yes but in SIN they are slim.

For me it is mostly the extra 20kg of luggage ... I hardly visit the lounges in Changi as I find them petty. Even though they have improved food-wise.
Old May 19, 2014, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weero
Yes but in SIN they are slim.

For me it is mostly the extra 20kg of luggage ... I hardly visit the lounges in Changi as I find them petty. Even though they have improved food-wise.
Lounge access will become precious when you travel to country like Myanmar where there are no nice food or much choice at the airport.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:52 am

Lounge access will become precious when you travel to country like Myanmar where there are no nice food or much choice at the airport.
I would assume that the lounge food available at the lounge in Myanmar isnt nice either....
Old May 19, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I would check your recent flights on SQ and what fare class they were in. Then see if miles would have been credited to A3 before you make the switch. If they're stingy on crediting miles for some of those fare classes then this FFP might not be so good after all...

I take it 20k with them is the lowest *A threshold out there? Any FFPs where Gold lasts longer (maybe 2 years?), of course excluding those which also require tons of miles (like LH)?
Old May 19, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...-miles-yr.html

Might want to give this thread a look too. @:-)
Old May 19, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Assuming of course, it's always the SQ flight, not the MI flight you are on ... As star gold won't help with lounge access for MI.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Assuming of course, it's always the SQ flight, not the MI flight you are on ... As star gold won't help with lounge access for MI.
Yes ... I had that in WUH. A giant, barren international terminal wing with no services whatsoever ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.