Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Which *A FFP would you switch to if you knew you wouldn't make 50k status miles/yr?

Which *A FFP would you switch to if you knew you wouldn't make 50k status miles/yr?

Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond

Hypothetical question - if you knew you couldn't make 50k status miles to earn/keep SQ*G status, which FFP would you switch to if:

- 100% of your paid flights would still be SQ econ flights
- 100% of your awards would be on SQ
- you reckon you'd make 40k miles/yr
- above all else, you want *A Gold status

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
AC Aeroplan without a doubt.

You will have *A Gold at 35K and all fares except: G, I, N, O, Q, T, V or X will earn you 100% status miles on SQ.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: meh
Originally Posted by payam81
AC Aeroplan without a doubt.
I second that.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
My only caveat on AC is what fare classes do you buy on SQ? This is the excerpt from Aeroplan "Tickets booked in G, I, N, O, Q, T, V or X class are not eligible. Charter flights and code-share flights operated by any Singapore Airlines code-share partner other than Star Alliance airlines are not eligible"

I think many other *A carriers are similar for SQ's lower fare classes.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
OZ if you are mainly in Asia.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Thanks guys. 35k to get *A Gold on AC seems very tempting. Especially since so many booking classes are eligible for mileage accrual.

While doing some research also I noticed a few interesting things:

- BMI Diamond Club, just 38k miles to achieve Gold. Cannot find what SQ booking classes would give miles here, but something that really stands out is that you get a 25% miles bonus not just for flying BMI but any *A airline. In effect mileage accrual would be the same as for KrisFlyer S/G members travelling on SQ (as long as the booking class is valid).

- someone mentioned Asiana and it seems they only require 40k miles... every 2 yrs. This has got to be the easiest way to hold onto *A Gold status. On top of that SQ booking classes eligible for miles are identical to those that Aeroplan lists.

Considering I probably won't take a single flight on AC/OZ, which of these would be better overall? I guess it comes down to how easy/hard it would be to redeem miles in these programs for SQ flights/upgrades... any ideas if the experience would be vastly different?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by aster
- BMI Diamond Club, just 38k miles to achieve Gold. Cannot find what SQ booking classes would give miles here, but something that really stands out is that you get a 25% miles bonus not just for flying BMI but any *A airline. In effect mileage accrual would be the same as for KrisFlyer S/G members travelling on SQ (as long as the booking class is valid).
You need 16,000 to get silver, then 38k to get gold, so initial qualification is 54k, then its 38k per year after that. The 25% bonus on all *A is great, and they have miles plus cash, but all of that is well discussed over at the bmi board.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: LH, UA, SQ
Thanks guys. 35k to get *A Gold on AC seems very tempting. Especially since so many booking classes are eligible for mileage accrual.

While doing some research also I noticed a few interesting things:

- someone mentioned Asiana and it seems they only require 40k miles... every 2 yrs. This has got to be the easiest way to hold onto *A Gold status. On top of that SQ booking classes eligible for miles are identical to those that Aeroplan lists.

Considering I probably won't take a single flight on AC/OZ, which of these would be better overall? I guess it comes down to how easy/hard it would be to redeem miles in these programs for SQ flights/upgrades... any ideas if the experience would be vastly different?
  • BD Gold needs 38K if you are BD Silver. To get Silver I think it's about 18K, if I am not mistaken.
  • I am not so sure whether you can redeem upgrade awards on SQ flights using AC miles nor BD miles.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:07 pm

SQ does block award J/F seats on certain routes and equipment (77W, A380) for *A partners, so take that in to consideration. If your award redemption is mainly on SQ I suggest you do a MR and make the 50K and stay with KrisFlyer, that would be the best route to get awards on SQ.

If you will mainly redeem for Y, then that's not an issue.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Would it be possible to credit all SQ mileage to AC to get *A Gold and use those miles to upgrade SQ flights from Y to J?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:41 pm

I'm accuring miles on OZ mainly for *A status and not redemptions, in fact I'm close to getting OZ gold and have never flown on OZ metal before. But if you want to earn miles mainly for redemption then I will say stick with SQ and do a few MRs.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by mister__big
Would it be possible to credit all SQ mileage to AC to get *A Gold and use those miles to upgrade SQ flights from Y to J?
You can't use miles to upgrade SQ flights from your Aeroplan pool, this I'm certain of.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe SQ only lets you use KrisFlyer miles for J upgrades.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:34 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by kitsura
I'm accuring miles on OZ mainly for *A status and not redemptions, in fact I'm close to getting OZ gold and have never flown on OZ metal before. But if you want to earn miles mainly for redemption then I will say stick with SQ and do a few MRs.
+1

Earn and burn ratios aren't the greatest on OZ, but if you join today, fly 40,000 eligible miles in the next 2 years you have *A Gold status until the 8th of February, 2014.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:22 am
soy

Programs: various
Not possible to use miles for upgrades on *A flights using BD Diamondclub miles. If status is what you want then OZ is the best due to 2yr duration. Also look at TK and AC for low entry to *G
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by payam81
You can't use miles to upgrade SQ flights from your Aeroplan pool, this I'm certain of.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe SQ only lets you use KrisFlyer miles for J upgrades.
That is affirmative only SQ miles are eligible for upgrades.

Refer to point 10.
https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_...ms.jsp#Header5

Last edited by kitsura; Feb 8, 2010 at 4:10 am Reason: Added link for T&C

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.