Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao
Actually, scratch that. Thought about it a bit more and I'm actually not too sure whether you earn (or don't earn) elite/status miles on partner airlines. I'll know for sure in 2 weeks when I fly United and credit to KF, but in the meantime if anyone else with experience knows the answer please feel free to correct me.
What on earth makes you think that Star Alliance flights don't earn Elite miles?!

For the benefit of others, flights sold and operated Star Alliance member airlines definitely do earn Elite miles. The only question is the multiplier - many discounted fares on other Star airlines can earn anything between 25% and 75%, and a surprising number of booking classes actually earn 50% or less. Unlike SQ, where only the bottom three (or is it four?) classes earn less than 100%.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by privateuly
Thanks. Please give us an update once you figure it out one way or the other. Would be very relevant to me.

How about discounted economy ticket? Suppose the miles travelled is 5000 but the ticket only earns me 50% mileage. Do I earn 2500 or 5000 elite miles? And is status irrelevant to the elite miles calculation?
1. Elite miles will be subject to the same multiplier, so it will be 2500 in your example.

2. Status bonus does not apply to Elite miles, only KF miles.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by stargold
What on earth makes you think that Star Alliance flights don't earn Elite miles?!
Haha, I just assumed that SQ wouldn't want to give you KF Silver or KF Gold if you did ALL your flying on non-SQ metal
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, HH Diamond, Enterprise Gold
Hi,
Flying SQ first time tomorrow. According to the website my luggage allowance is 30KG (Y). Can I divide this over two bags? It doesn't specific say many pieces I can check in. Only the weigh limit...
Thanks!
AlvinMaker likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:25 am

Weight concept = take as many bags as you want, as long as total weight is under the limit.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, HH Diamond, Enterprise Gold
Thank you stargold
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:26 am

Hi stargold,

Can you help me understand this? On my wife's account, the website is showing 3200 elite miles for KF Silver requalification (she is currently a silver) but 6400 elite miles for KF Gold qualification. Why do they have 2 different numbers? She did earn 3200 on an outbound flight just before the end of previous period and 3200 on the inbound after the new period started. Not sure if that explains the difference.

Thanks,

1. Elite miles will be subject to the same multiplier, so it will be 2500 in your example.

2. Status bonus does not apply to Elite miles, only KF miles.

Last edited by privateuly; Jan 24, 2016 at 4:34 am
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by privateuly
Hi stargold,

Can you help me understand this? On my wife's account, the website is showing 3200 elite miles for KF Silver requalification (she is currently a silver) but 6400 elite miles for KF Gold qualification. Why do they have 2 different numbers? She did earn 3200 on an outbound flight just before the end of previous period and 3200 on the inbound after the new period started. Not sure if that explains the difference.

Thanks,
It is because your wife needs to renew her KF Silver within the Silver membership year, but can be upgraded to Gold if she has travelled 50,000 miles within the previous 12 months on a rolling basis.

For example:

KF Silver membership year - Jul 15 to Jun 16
Renew KF*S - need to fly 25,000 between Jul 15 to Jun 16. Elite miles count resets to zero on 1 Jul 2016

But if she has flown 50,000 miles between Jan 15 and Dec 15, then she will be upgraded to KF*G when the flight posts in Dec 15, and her KF*G membership year will change with the upgrade.

In short, her previous 3,200 mile flight before the KF*S renewal counts for upgrading to KF*G, but not for renewing this year's KF*S.

Hope it is clear
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:46 am

Oh, I see. Got it, thanks for the explanation!

It is because your wife needs to renew her KF Silver within the Silver membership year, but can be upgraded to Gold if she has travelled 50,000 miles within the previous 12 months on a rolling basis.

For example:

KF Silver membership year - Jul 15 to Jun 16
Renew KF*S - need to fly 25,000 between Jul 15 to Jun 16. Elite miles count resets to zero on 1 Jul 2016

But if she has flown 50,000 miles between Jan 15 and Dec 15, then she will be upgraded to KF*G when the flight posts in Dec 15, and her KF*G membership year will change with the upgrade.

In short, her previous 3,200 mile flight before the KF*S renewal counts for upgrading to KF*G, but not for renewing this year's KF*S.

Hope it is clear
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Help please.. I am unable to register for KrisFlyer for some reason on my machine. I am looking for F award from BOM-SIN-LAX between Feb 11-Feb 13 inclusive. Stop not required. Just want to know if anyone can look up on KrisFlyer and let me know availability so may be I can call them to open an account and move required 100K+ UR and book. Thanks in advance!!!!!!
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by FT-hss
Help please.. I am unable to register for KrisFlyer for some reason on my machine. I am looking for F award from BOM-SIN-LAX between Feb 11-Feb 13 inclusive. Stop not required. Just want to know if anyone can look up on KrisFlyer and let me know availability so may be I can call them to open an account and move required 100K+ UR and book. Thanks in advance!!!!!!
Saver on Waitlist for 12feb and 13feb
Standard on waitlist 11feb
Standard available 12feb and 13feb
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Hi guys, does anyone know if the 777-300ER flights from SIN-LHR feature refurbished First Class or old First Class? Specifically looking at SQ306, but would take SQ318 instead if that had a better chance of refurbished First.

TBH for me I wouldn't care as I fly SQ regularly, but I'm taking my mother on her first First Class flight and I really want it to be special for her!

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond
SQ equipment swap = SOL on UA

I had booked an SQ flight on 77W new J from MEL-SIN about 11 months in advance with UA miles.

I noticed today when I looked into my account that the aircraft is now listed 773 with the original flight number of the 77W. I believe this is officially a schedule change even though the time is the same. After delving I found that the ticket was reissued a month after purchasing.

The 77W is still operating that day, but of course there is no award availability for * partners. I talked to both Kris Flyer and United, but they are unable to release the award space. United said that no airline guarantees what type of a/c will get a pax from point A to B.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I think I'm SOL but would be interested in hearing any tips.

(I even considered booking with KrisFlyer miles but it's like 55k which seems more expensive than the 30k United required.)
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:42 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by evanaetor
I had booked an SQ flight on 77W new J from MEL-SIN about 11 months in advance with UA miles.

I noticed today when I looked into my account that the aircraft is now listed 773 with the original flight number of the 77W. I believe this is officially a schedule change even though the time is the same. After delving I found that the ticket was reissued a month after purchasing.

The 77W is still operating that day, but of course there is no award availability for * partners. I talked to both Kris Flyer and United, but they are unable to release the award space. United said that no airline guarantees what type of a/c will get a pax from point A to B.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I think I'm SOL but would be interested in hearing any tips.

(I even considered booking with KrisFlyer miles but it's like 55k which seems more expensive than the 30k United required.)
SQ does not generally release any award space on this route to UA or other partners so I'd say you're already ahead of the game for having gotten as far as you did. Doubtful there's anything more you can do, although it's possible another schedule change could work in your favor if the flight is still a number of months away.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: United 1K, American Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well actually there is * award space for this route in J & Y currently, just not on the 77 dub ya... :-(

Originally Posted by bgriff
SQ does not generally release any award space on this route to UA or other partners so I'd say you're already ahead of the game for having gotten as far as you did. Doubtful there's anything more you can do, although it's possible another schedule change could work in your favor if the flight is still a number of months away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.