T2, T3 and now T1?

Subscribe
"Flights may arrive at either Terminal 2 or Terminal 3. Click here to find out the status of your flight. Information on the arrival terminal will be available two hours before the flight’s estimated time of arrival." So says the SQ website, but SQ37 (the non-stop from LAX) arrived at gate D41 yesterday - which is in T1.

Passengers with checked-in luggage had to schlep to T2 to collect their bags and clear customs.
Quote: So says the SQ website, but SQ37 (the non-stop from LAX) arrived at gate D41 yesterday - which is in T1.

Passengers with checked-in luggage had to schlep to T2 to collect their bags and clear customs.
Surprising, but what's the big deal? Land at the outlying gates in T2 or T3, and it's a similar distance. Take B10, where it can be quicker to get the skytrain to T3 from T1 or, if no luggage pass through immigration at T1. In fact D41 probably involves less "schlepping' than some of the outlying E/F gates - as at least there's the skytrain that gets you close to T2 immigration.
Whats the problem? After sitting in the plane for that long a nice opportunity to strech your legs.
The problem is confusion.
Last time I landed at T1 on SQ, Ground staff was directing passengers towards T2.
On the arrival screen it will be shown as T2-Arrival.
SQ doing the Terminal shuffle is not for its and Changi airports' reputation of being a world class airport.

Departing passengers know where they go. Arriving passengers don't as SQ feels that they need not need know as long as the people coming to pick them up find out for themselves where they should meet them.

But its honestly confusing... sometimes, people forget ... I've had many a times wondering around the arrivals hall and my friend has gone to the other terminal. Why can't SQ just say that all flights coming in from HKG land at T3. And if the aircraft is being positioned at say T2, then BUS everyone back to T3 for immigration/customs processing. That's what the major airports do eg AMS, FRA, even BKK!

Or doesn't Changi have passenger buses anymore?
Quote: Last time I landed at T1 on SQ, Ground staff was directing passengers towards T2.
On the arrival screen it will be shown as T2-Arrival.
That's what happened this time too. Confusing for passengers, and irritating for those meeting passengers.

How difficult is it to decide that flights to/from XXX will always leave/arrive at a given terminal as with most other airlines?

Or is this a Changi airport problem?
Quote: That's what happened this time too. Confusing for passengers, and irritating for those meeting passengers.

How difficult is it to decide that flights to/from XXX will always leave/arrive at a given terminal as with most other airlines?...
Passengers with flights landing at T1 are directed to T2 for immigration, luggage and customs. Those meeting passengers should still meet them at T2. Nothing confusing to me. D41 can be closer than gates at the end of the figures at T2.

The issue is aircraft rotation. Terminals/gates are assigned based on what destination the aircraft is headed next, not arriving from. Many aircraft rotate from longhaul to shorthaul services frequently. The A345 in your case might be headed to maintenance and doesn't need a gate in T2/T3. Perhaps I am just used to it, DL uses T2/T3/T4 at JFK and I never know for sure which terminal I will arrive at or depart from.

Quote: ...Why can't SQ just say that all flights coming in from HKG land at T3. And if the aircraft is being positioned at say T2, then BUS everyone back to T3 for immigration/customs processing...
I hate buses.
Quote: I hate buses.
+1. I'd rather land at T1 gate and walk to T2 than take the bus (unless SQ picks me up in Porsche LH style )
Quote: The issue is aircraft rotation.
Is that my problem?

Never mind buses, why don't they just tow the aircraft to the next gate, or does Changi not have tow trucks either?

Or, even better, why don't all SQ flights just use the same terminal? Connecting at SIN is such a hassle - arriving at an outlying A gate and departing from an outlying E gate... There may be Skytrains, but schlepping through the shopping mall that is T3 - even the schlep from the lounge to the far B gates is a complete pain. I'd go as far as to say it's worse than BKK...
Really.... connecting at Changi is like the easiest thing on earth... travellators all over the place for the lazies, sky trains connecting all the terminals, clean, airy, lots of things to do if you're not in a hurry...

Anyway, it might be indeed confusing for some people and it's understandable. not everyone flies once a month or is "airport savvy". Imagine someone who's flying for the first time and asked him relative of friend to pick him up at terminal X and ends up in Y. But then again, that relative or friend should be smart enough to look at the screens as soon as he or she gets to the arrival hall and then easily take the sky train to the other terminal.

For luggage, it's quite alright as long as there is ground staff pointing you at the right direction to collect them. I don't personally care where I land... follow the screens and go collect your stuff.
Quote: ...Never mind buses, why don't they just tow the aircraft to the next gate, or does Changi not have tow trucks either?

Or, even better, why don't all SQ flights just use the same terminal? Connecting at SIN is such a hassle.....
You should try to connect through LAX, JFK, ATL, LHR or CDG more. Changi is the one of the best airports in the world for connections.

Towing aircraft is a very slow process. No airlines will do that unless absolutely necessary. It will increase aircraft turnaround time by 1+ hours. The increased traffic on taxiways will also impact other aircraft and slow down airport operations overall.

If there is a last minute aircraft swap, it is usually announced as gate change as it is faster to move passengers than aircraft. I am sure SQ would love to use just one terminal if Changi has a terminal large enough for all SQ flights.
Quote: You should try to connect through LAX, JFK, ATL, LHR or CDG more.
Oh they're not confusing just time consuming

Seriously though I do agree with you. Changi is very easy to do a transfer as it is one step, you simply find your outbound flight gate, as arrivals and departures are not separated. At many airports it is a two step process, you need to find transit point and then the gate, so some backtracking may be inevitable. (a corollary of this is gate based security, which I prefer as well, but that is a completely separate discussion).

As for people doing the meet and greet, how hard is it in 2012 to either a) use the internet, mobile phone or other device to check arrival terminal OR b) checking the monitors on arrival at the airport - either airside or landside OR c) ask someone at the airport?
Quote: +1. I'd rather land at T1 gate and walk to T2 than take the bus (unless SQ picks me up in Porsche LH style )
I agree. I hate buses and try to avoid them.
Quote: SQ doing the Terminal shuffle is not for its and Changi airports' reputation of being a world class airport.

Departing passengers know where they go. Arriving passengers don't as SQ feels that they need not need know as long as the people coming to pick them up find out for themselves where they should meet them.

But its honestly confusing... sometimes, people forget ... I've had many a times wondering around the arrivals hall and my friend has gone to the other terminal. Why can't SQ just say that all flights coming in from HKG land at T3. And if the aircraft is being positioned at say T2, then BUS everyone back to T3 for immigration/customs processing. That's what the major airports do eg AMS, FRA, even BKK!

Or doesn't Changi have passenger buses anymore?
but isn't this more troublesome?