Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Connecting passengers trump originating pax on airport upgrade list (-T designation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting passengers trump originating pax on airport upgrade list (-T designation)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Checked in at JFK today for flight to SFO. I asked where I was on upgrade list and told number 4. i said that was surprising since I booked 3 weeks ago. they told me only one personhad ticketed ahaed of me, but there were 2 connecting passengers from a flight from Boston and through passengers go to the top of the list, even if they ticketed later.

I had never heard of this before, but 2 AC agents said that was the case, i though with the new rules, each leg, was solely on date ticketed and fare class.
\
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Exp, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Plat
Perhaps they were "distressed" pax from previous flights (Wx delay, crew delay), that should move them up in the upg list ahead of those non-distressed pax. Or MAYBE they were CK members that no gate agent wants to talk about
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
"Through & Connect" has always had the higher priority in each tier...

e.g

T&C EXP
EXP
T&C PLT
PLT
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:18 am

Hmmmm, this never seems to help me snag upgrades when connecting through DFW as a Plat, but guess EXP's are a dime a dozen there.

My CLT-DFW legs are never a problem, though, in either direction.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BStrauss3
"Through & Connect" has always had the higher priority in each tier...

Well, this was true in the days when priority was based on check-in time, but this doesn't make as much sense now, with time of purchase (request) method. If I puchase 2 months oin advance, and originate at DFW, it makes no sense that I'd be trumped by thh SJC connector that purchased yesterday. As the guy from SJC, where there is no T&C traffic, this works to my advantage, but it doesn't make sense. Are we sure that this is really the way it is now?

Cheers.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
The last time I missed an upgrade was as a T&C passenger. However, that was before the current upgrade priority system began.
I do know that eVIP and miles+copay upgraders (i.e. 'C' or 'A' inventory) have priority over all 'X' class upgraders, regardless of status. But... if you find yourself using eVIP or miles but 2nd or 3rd segments are not yet confirmed, you have to make sure that the GA or TA at origin puts in the correct priority code, for example "EVIPT". ("T" for Transfer)
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Well, this was true in the days when priority was based on check-in time, but this doesn't make as much sense now, with time of purchase (request) method. If I puchase 2 months oin advance, and originate at DFW, it makes no sense that I'd be trumped by thh SJC connector that purchased yesterday. As the guy from SJC, where there is no T&C traffic, this works to my advantage, but it doesn't make sense. Are we sure that this is really the way it is now?

Cheers.
To me, the more important question is, if this is true can we do anything differently to improve upgrade chances? The answer appears to be no, so I regard this information in the category of curiosity rather than actionable information. I put less time and energy into curiosity. YMMV.

Last edited by gemac; Jan 12, 2009 at 11:21 am
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Isn't it almost certain that these were "distressed" Boston travelers who would trump?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:40 am

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by zipadee
Isn't it almost certain that these were "distressed" Boston travelers who would trump?
No, once it goes to the airport list, the tiers are stratified by Thorugh passengers and local O&D passengers within each status level
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:12 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
On a side note, doesn't Delta do the exact same thing as to upgrade priority and conx pax?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by gemac
To me, the more important question is, if this is true can we do anything differently to improve upgrade chances?
Yes, there is something you can do! just buy your ticket (and click the upgrade box) earlier.... oh, and one more thing, be sure to reach EXP status. That really helps.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat
One thing people can try to do, if you are an AC member, is ask the AAngel very nicely if she can change your upgrade request a through/connecting upgrade request (even if you're not a through/connecting). So from a UPG1 to a UPG1T for EXPs.

I've never had to do this except during my PLT days and it was a legitimate request. Also even among gate agents/AAngels, there is a varying definition of a through/connecting pax.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:29 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by brp
It's the -T designation on the PALL list. BStrauss3 has it correct - this trumps request time within tier.

Based on what jrhone has told us:
In the context of upgrades, this suffix is supposed to be added manually only by agents at upstream airports for connecting flights departing from downstream airports. In the context of standby passengers, this suffix is supposed to be added only for passengers connecting to at least one more flight.
I agree that the rationale for this is unclear in the context of the upgrade list, although it does make sense for the standby list. In the properly applied case above (-T suffix added with at least one more flight afterwards), pax who do not clear might be at greater risk of misconnecting. Even in an apparently improperly applied case (in which the -T suffix were added for standby on a final leg, as has been done for me), this would also reduce chances of pax getting stranded overnight at an intermediate airport rather than their origin or destination, one of which might also be 'home' and not require a hotel stay.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemac
To me, the more important question is, if this is true can we do anything differently to improve upgrade chances? The answer appears to be no, so I regard this information in the category of curiosity rather than actionable information. I put less time and energy into curiosity. YMMV.
I disagree. You could take a connection to increase your upgrade chances.

Assuming this "T&C" priority is correct, what isn't clear from this thread is whether a T&C passenger has higher priority on all segments (including the first one) only the 2nd and subsequent segments.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I disagree. You could take a connection to increase your upgrade chances.

Assuming this "T&C" priority is correct, what isn't clear from this thread is whether a T&C passenger has higher priority on all segments (including the first one) only the 2nd and subsequent segments.
If this is true, it is only on the 2nd and subsequent segments, as I understand it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.