FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting passengers trump originating pax on airport upgrade list (-T designation)
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:29 pm
dstan
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by brp
Well, this was true in the days when priority was based on check-in time, but this doesn't make as much sense now, with time of purchase (request) method. If I puchase 2 months oin advance, and originate at DFW, it makes no sense that I'd be trumped by thh SJC connector that purchased yesterday. As the guy from SJC, where there is no T&C traffic, this works to my advantage, but it doesn't make sense. Are we sure that this is really the way it is now?
It's the -T designation on the PALL list. BStrauss3 has it correct - this trumps request time within tier.

Based on what jrhone has told us:
In the context of upgrades, this suffix is supposed to be added manually only by agents at upstream airports for connecting flights departing from downstream airports. In the context of standby passengers, this suffix is supposed to be added only for passengers connecting to at least one more flight.
I agree that the rationale for this is unclear in the context of the upgrade list, although it does make sense for the standby list. In the properly applied case above (-T suffix added with at least one more flight afterwards), pax who do not clear might be at greater risk of misconnecting. Even in an apparently improperly applied case (in which the -T suffix were added for standby on a final leg, as has been done for me), this would also reduce chances of pax getting stranded overnight at an intermediate airport rather than their origin or destination, one of which might also be 'home' and not require a hotel stay.