Search

LH to take 50% share of BMI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS *G
LH to take 50% share of BMI

As quoted from the BBC.CO.UK

"UK airline BMI is being taken over by Germany's Lufthansa.

Lufthansa, which already owns a 30% stake in BMI minus one share, is buying the 50% of the company owned by BMI chairman Sir Michael Bishop.

The deal will give Lufthansa control of more flights from London Heathrow airport than any other airline except British Airways.

The remaining 20% of BMI is currently owned by Sweden-based Scandinavian Airlines (SAS).

Lufthansa said it intends to complete the deal by 16 January. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7697261.stm
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
BMI will quickly be transformed into a long-haul carrier using the LHR slots mentioned already. Makes more sense to use the scarce production capacity LHR offers for 250+ seats ( maybe even BBJ's ) going on interconti flights than an A 319 paddling over the channel to Schiphol, if it does not work, you can always lease the slots to desperate American airlines or sell to airlines from the Near East.

Heads up to Bishop, though, although known as the Whiner since years, he was smart enough to exit at a late, but still manageable stage.

Certainly always hard to sell your lifework.

Instead of critisizing the Wolf in Austria, he should be praised as the Austrian to look up to
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FD1971
Instead of critisizing the Wolf in Austria, he should be praised as the Austrian to look up to
Sorry, quite lost with this statement. My understanding is that SMB comes from a British/Australian background so not sure where your comment re Austria comes in.

For M&M lurkers, you might be better off reading the BD board thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=882694
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:20 am
hch

Originally Posted by FD1971
BMI will quickly be transformed into a long-haul carrier using the LHR slots mentioned already. Makes more sense to use the scarce production capacity LHR offers for 250+ seats ( maybe even BBJ's ) going on interconti flights than an A 319 paddling over the channel to Schiphol, if it does not work, you can always lease the slots to desperate American airlines or sell to airlines from the Near East.
The LHR to USA market hasn't been a stellar success for all the new entrants. Entering the bloodbath over the north Atlantic right now with major additional capacity seems like a perfect way to lose money. Especially as LH already covers most of the US with their revenue share with United, which they will surely extend to BMI. The only really important white sport right now is New York which should be covered by CO join *A and the LH/UA joint venture next year.

</armchairceo>
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:21 am
hch

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Sorry, quite lost with this statement. My understanding is that SMB comes from a British/Australian background so not sure where your comment re Austria comes in.
This is a reference to the Wolf.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:33 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
The BMI announcement came as Lufthansa announced a 75% fall in net profit for the July to September period, which it blamed on higher fuel costs.
That's what caught my eye in this article.

Oh, and a lil question: Who's gonna buy OS now?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:34 am
hch

Originally Posted by andre1970
That's what caught my eye in this article.

Oh, and a lil question: Who's gonna buy OS now?
LH is going to get it for free and without debt if they wait long enough..
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:35 am

Programs: Various
Doesn't this also mean that LH will buy out SK?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
uhh, no. Why? LH HAS to buy BD because of the put option that SMB had when LH took a stake in BD in 1999 and which he has now exercised. There is no comparable situation for SK.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:48 am

Programs: If I don´t have it, I don´t need it!
Doesn't this also mean that LH will buyout SK?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:49 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by hch
Still. There is a Competition Policy Directorate in the EU who dot dot dot.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hch
The LHR to USA market hasn't been a stellar success for all the new entrants. Entering the bloodbath over the north Atlantic right now with major additional capacity seems like a perfect way to lose money. Especially as LH already covers most of the US with their revenue share with United, which they will surely extend to BMI. The only really important white sport right now is New York which should be covered by CO join *A and the LH/UA joint venture next year.

</armchairceo>
True, but no new entrant had the capacity to compete effectively with the dominant players, as they could only gather the odd pair of slots or two (look at the pathetic attempts by Skyteam airlines). BD has over 10% of LHR slots, which means that LH/BD could make a much more serious competitor. That said, the timing is rather unfortunate given the current situation. But long-term, it has rather better prospects.

As far as NYC is concerned, the arguments are the same except stronger. It will be especially difficult to enter this market at this point, given the very strong dominance of BA and VS on that market. If I were them, this would NOT be where I would start from.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I would assume so. That would give LH the possibility to do whatever they want.

...asset stripping seems like one option ...
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by hch
hopefully ^
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:54 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by NickB
uhh, no. Why? LH HAS to buy BD because of the put option that SMB had when LH took a stake in BD in 1999 and which he has now exercised. There is no comparable situation for SK.
Why would they want to have SK as a minority owner? I'm sure you also know that SK need money. A lot of it in fact. So much that LH are considered likely to buy SK just like silversurfer hinted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.