Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade and companion on waitlist question

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

upgrade and companion on waitlist question

hi all,
I tried searching the forum but had no luck, so I might be wrong. A companion and I are travelling and he is sponsoring the upgrade. Right now it is NF1, so we are waitlisted. It's not that long of a flight so if the upgrade doesn't go through, no big deal, and there seems to be lots of seats in first open.

I was just curious though:
Until DM, does someone with just one seat to upgrade pass us on the list and take the NF1 seat, or does that person on PB have to now wait until we get cleared?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 23, 2008, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by raptor288
hi all,
I tried searching the forum but had no luck, so I might be wrong. A companion and I are travelling and he is sponsoring the upgrade. Right now it is NF1, so we are waitlisted. It's not that long of a flight so if the upgrade doesn't go through, no big deal, and there seems to be lots of seats in first open.

I was just curious though:
Until DM, does someone with just one seat to upgrade pass us on the list and take the NF1 seat, or does that person on PB have to now wait until we get cleared?

Thanks in advance.
There are plenty of threads on this, but yes, waitlisted, grouped upgrades are a rookie mistake, and you should call and "split the record" or "split the PNR" so that you have a higher likelihood of clearing the upgrade waitlist.

If you have a lower status, if it still shows NF1, and if you want to maximize the chances of sitting together, they should apply the upgrade to you first. You'll clear, then your companion should apply the upgrade to him or herself.

The reason you should split is, you guessed it, upgrades are often released one at a time, so you are currently caught at the top of the waitlist but will be bypassed as long as it gets filled and subsequent seats are released one at a time.

Here is one of many threads on the topic. Good luck!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773732
Old May 23, 2008, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

thanks a ton for the info, really appreciate that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.