Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

How do SWUs clear for 1K and no status pax on one PNR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2008, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond

I read the relevant thread in the sticky and posted lucky's summary below, but still not certain how this works.

I'm 1K, son is GM, both on one PRN for IAD-FCO in March.

No upgrade space currently available on IAD-FCO according to both .bomb and seatcounter, so it will waitlist as soon as the 2008 SWUs deposit and I request the upgrades.

I don't want to split the record as now we are in 16AB both ways on the 767, which are fine seats if the SWUs don't clear. If I split the record to maximize the chances one or both of us will get the upgrades, he'll likely end up in E-.

So let's say this goes to DM when upgrades are cleared first by status. Does he still ride my coattails at that point as we are on a single PNR or do we clear individually?

I should know this but too much bubbly last night. Happy New Year all.

Originally Posted by luckycoinsguy
There are two types of upgrade waitlists, the PA & PB list. The PA list is the Priority A list, which is the first one cleared, followed by the PB, or Priority B list, which is the second one clear. When a 1K uses his/her upgrade instruments they are typically put on the PA waitlist, including when they give their SWU's/CR1's to others, meaning even a General Member with a 1K's SWU goes on the PA list.

Confirmable upgrade instruments, such as CR1's, SWU's, and miles can clear at any time. This means that if I apply for an upgrade today from coach to first on a two class flight (upgraded F is NF), and NF is available, I can clear immediately into First Class and be confirmed. The same is true for an upgrade to Business (NC).

As soon as there is no more confirmable upgrade space you get "waitlisted," which is where the fun starts. Like I said above, those with the right credentials get added to the PA waitlist, and others to the PB waitlist. The PA waitlist is sorted on a first-on first-off basis, meaning that the first person on the PA list will be the first person to get the upgrade. The PA list is totally cleared before the PB list is touched. That means that if upgrade space becomes available tomorrow and I add myself with a CR1 as a 1K today, I would trump a 1P that's on the PB list for 10 months. Of course this is technically how it works, and sometimes there may be some mistakes.

The list continues as such, except 500 milers can only clear 120 hours out for GS's, 100 hours out for 1K's, 72 hours out for 1P's, 48 hours out for 2P's, 36 hours out for 3P's, and 24 hours out for GM's. If the upgrade does not clear at the window (which is very possible. It's not that you get upgraded if there's a seat available, but rather it's still coming from the same inventory), you can still clear anytime until departure.

This whole order changes as soon as the flight is under "departure management," or DM. This is usually the day of the flight. Under DM upgrades are cleared first by status, then by fair basis, and lastly the time added to the list.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
So let's say this goes to DM when upgrades are cleared first by status. Does he still ride my coattails at that point as we are on a single PNR or do we clear individually?
You clear individually.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, up until the day of departure you both clear together, but the day of upgrades are cleared by individual status, fare class, and time added to the waitlist. I would highly recommend breaking up the PNR. I don't think it's that common for people not on the same PNR to be kicked back to E- if they have someone "sponsoring" them.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Well, my fear is that he will lose 16A when I split the PNR and the system sweeps, as it sometimes does, and reassigns non-elites to E-. Then if he doesn't clear on his own, he's stuck in the back of the bus.

In fact, he won't even be eligible for 16A on his own as it's an exit row.

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Correct, up until the day of departure you both clear together, but the day of upgrades are cleared by individual status, fare class, and time added to the waitlist. I would highly recommend breaking up the PNR. I don't think it's that common for people not on the same PNR to be kicked back to E- if they have someone "sponsoring" them.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
By splitting the record locator:

1. You are more likely to get upgraded than being together. Before the day of departure, when inventory control releases one seat, it goes to a record locator has one person and passes you two.
2. You and your son are seated together in E+ even if you are on two separate locators. An elite member can bring one non-elite to E+ whether you are in the same record locator or two separate locators
3. There have been postings that lower elite members or general members get upgraded before the elite sponsor

If I were you, I would take the chance.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Its a good thread in terms of review of elite FT-ers experiences on U/G.

My experience in U/G companions on my PNR is excellent. In fact I can't recall a case when an U/G request for me and my companion(s) failed to clear. Truly, once clearance dragged to the gate and had a happy ending.
If it would be me - I would stick with the original plan - and keep my offspring (daughter really and son-in-law), on my PNR.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
By splitting the record locator:
2. You and your son are seated together in E+ even if you are on two separate locators. An elite member can bring one non-elite to E+ whether you are in the same record locator or two separate locators
However I know from personal experience (as well as anecdotal evidence here on FT) that splitting a PNR like this doesn't guarantee E+ access for the non-elite member. I put CHGal on a separate PNR in an analogous situation and the system kept taking away her E+ seat and reassigning her to E-.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I've definitely lost an exit row seat allocation for a non-status travelling companion when the computer did its sweep. That said, isn't it possible to link two PNRs? I've heard this mentioned in the past to protect cases such as irregular ops forcing rebooking etc so that people stay together. I'm not sure it protects seat allocations though.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would definitely split the PNR. The odds of upgrading will be about 10 times better it you do, because Inventory Management rarely releases more than one seat at a time. If you don't split, you have a near zero chance of upgrading before the gate. E+ is not a problem if you just remember to keep an eye on the itinerary for sweeps.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:48 pm

However I know from personal experience (as well as anecdotal evidence here on FT) that splitting a PNR like this doesn't guarantee E+ access for the non-elite member. I put CHGal on a separate PNR in an analogous situation and the system kept taking away her E+ seat and reassigning her to E-.
If you two are not in the same PNR, when the computer does a sweep, yes, your son may lose his E+ seat. All you have to do is call UA and get his E+ seat back.

The key here is what is more important to you:

1. Sit together with your son in E+ or
2. Upgrade from Y to C

Of course, most of us want both. If you have to choose one of the two, which one will you choose?

If you choose #1, then leave everything alone and stay in one PNR. If you choose #2, then split your PNR.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by djmp
I've definitely lost an exit row seat allocation for a non-status travelling companion when the computer did its sweep. That said, isn't it possible to link two PNRs? I've heard this mentioned in the past to protect cases such as irregular ops forcing rebooking etc so that people stay together. I'm not sure it protects seat allocations though.
The link is having one PNR referring to the other. When the system does its sweep, it cannot detect the reference. Therefore, it causes the non-elite losing E+ seating. When that happens, just call UA and have the non-elite put back into E+, next to the elite.

Checking your itineraries shall be a daily exercise detecting any seat change.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:40 am
Original Poster

If I split the PNR, then I think the following is most likely:
  • I get upgraded.
  • He gets bumped to E-.
  • I can't call and get his E+ seat back as I'm now in C.
16AB are nice seats on the 767, so I think I'm going to leave us on one PNR (SWUs applied and we're now waitlisted).
  • If we both clear ahead of time or at the gate, great.
  • If we both don't clear ahead of time or at the gate, fine.
  • If I clear at the gate and he doesn't, he's OK in 16A.
Life ain't perfect. Thanks for the input.

If you two are not in the same PNR, when the computer does a sweep, yes, your son may lose his E+ seat. All you have to do is call UA and get his E+ seat back.

The key here is what is more important to you:

1. Sit together with your son in E+ or
2. Upgrade from Y to C

Of course, most of us want both. If you have to choose one of the two, which one will you choose?

If you choose #1, then leave everything alone and stay in one PNR. If you choose #2, then split your PNR.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:50 am

• If we both clear ahead of time or at the gate, great.
  • If we both don't clear ahead of time or at the gate, fine.
  • If I clear at the gate and he doesn't, he's OK in 16A.
Life ain't perfect. Thanks for the input.
You might have another dilemma or two. If your upgrades do clear and do not sit together. No one will change seats with you, what will you do? This scenario is very likely to happen.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:59 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
You might have another dilemma or two. If your upgrades do clear and do not sit together. No one will change seats with you, what will you do? This scenario is very likely to happen.
Since he's willing to sit apart in different cabins, I doubt he has a problem sitting apart in the same cabin.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Exactly. My son is 20 so can fend for himself. I just want to ensure one or both of us keeps row 16 if we're not upgraded.

Originally Posted by Beckles
Since he's willing to sit apart in different cabins, I doubt he has a problem sitting apart in the same cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.