Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXTRA $15/Bag Check Fee In Our Future?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 8:56 am
Original Poster

EXTRA $15/Bag Check Fee In Our Future?

AA started the ball rolling today announcing a new $15 fee for the first checked bag on all domestic runs, exempting premium AAdvantage and full-fare Y customers. The new fee is effective for tickets purchased on or after June 15. They're trimming 11-12% capacity this year and parking 75 planes, as well.

The boarding process, as summer leisure pax test the carry-on size limits, should be pleasant.

Might DL fall in line with this?
Old May 21, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, Avis First
Would Delta DARE following American (1st checked bag fee)

This morning American announced that, along with a bunch of service cuts (up to 11 percent) that it would charge $15 for the FIRST checked bag, starting June 15th.

Would Delta follow? I suspect not at first, but it may be inevitable given $130 or $150, or $180 oil.

This makes me all the happier that I have status, albeit only lowly GM right now.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
LegalTender asks the same question here...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826059
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Great... whats next, charging to use the overhead air vent?
ck8

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM/United Mileage Plus/Hilton Honors
Why not? With $132 oil EVERYTHING is fair game. If this gets enough revenue to stave off bankruptcy until oil prices invariably cool down then why not?
Old May 21, 2008, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Wasn't AA the last legacy airline to implement the second checked bag fee?
Old May 21, 2008, 9:31 am
ck8

With oil where it is at, I would expect them to do this to raise whatever revenue they could get. I flew DCA-CVG-MSP this past Saturday and the planes were 3/4 full at best. How can they survive without?
Old May 21, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by ck8
With oil where it is at, I would expect them to do this to raise whatever revenue they could get. I flew DCA-CVG-MSP this past Saturday and the planes were 3/4 full at best. How can they survive without?
Fly fewer, fuller planes.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:35 am
ck8

Originally Posted by DLFan2
I am sure that is coming but doesn't it take time to tweak the schedule by pulling a/c out of service? This is something that can be implemented relatively quickly to give them a little financial cushion. I guess I would rather them nickel and dime then go out of business. With the impending merger, we also need to be concerned about the health of NWA as there is a danger of them pulling Delta down with them.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Delta will take a pass:

The planned fee on the first checked bag immediately ran into resistance. Delta Air Lines Inc. spokeswoman Betsy Talton said the Atlanta-based airline is considering all of its options in light of $130-a-barrel oil, but doesn't plan to match the $15 fee American announced. - AP
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
And to think, I always laughed at the Southwest commercials. Now it is coming true.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ccinu-bY3s

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by ck8
Why not? With $132 oil EVERYTHING is fair game. If this gets enough revenue to stave off bankruptcy until oil prices invariably cool down then why not?
I suppose this might be better than just raising the ticket price by $15. The fee gives the passenger a little bit of control. You can choose to carry less and avoid the fee or carry more and pay the fee.

I just want to see strict enforcement of carryon rules. Otherwise people are going to REALLY become obnoxious with their carryon cargo.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Agreed. Charge a fair price, cut the number of flights, and give us a respectable level of service.

Everyone is racing to see who can act more like Skybus every day.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:40 am
ck8

I suppose this might be better than just raising the ticket price by $15. The fee gives the passenger a little bit of control. You can choose to carry less and avoid the fee or carry more and pay the fee.

I just want to see strict enforcement of carryon rules. Otherwise people are going to REALLY become obnoxious with their carryon cargo.
agreed. It amazes me how many oversize bags still make it past the ga. I guess they are too busy to enforce as there is often only one of them trying to work the flight.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Four quarters to get into the lav

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.