Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that

There have been posts in regard to this policy before, but as folks who use our Amtrak accounts only for double-dipping stays at Hilton and on a few other "bonus" occasions we had no idea--despite trying to read the fine print. So, maybe one or the other occasional-only forum visitor may learn about this policy through this post.

My wife just lost 2,200 miles b/c of no-travel on Amtrak in 3 years--no warning, nothing on the statements, pooff. I had 10,800 miles and immediately converted them to another program--actually, only 10,000, and the other 800 will be lost.

Farewell Amtrak, and Auf Wiedersehen to our Amtrak co-branded Mastercard.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:51 am

I signed up for Amtrak Guest Rewards because I ride Amtrak. You'll get no sympathy from me.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been reported that AGR does send out notices in advance, but I guess there are no guarantees.
AGR has also been reported to offer a reactivation offer if you book and take Amtrak travel within a short period after the expiration occurs.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 2:06 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
They sent notification emails and hard mails(in statements). Not to mention most airlines do this now, too. So why would you think Amtrak would be different?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: Peon in all
If all you want AGR for is for "point laundering", I do not have any sympathy for you. But most of us mainly use it for train travel ! And even a $5 one-way trip extends the points for another 3 years!

I hope you do not have UA Mileage Plus! It is not 36 months like AGR - it is only 18 months!
Old Apr 28, 2008, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by the_traveler
I hope you do not have UA Mileage Plus! It is not 36 months like AGR - it is only 18 months!
True, BUT--UA counts any activity, whether credit card spending, dining through Rewards Network, or even buying a magazine subscription as valid activity.

Normally, I would agree with you, but Amtrak's policy even has ME nervous, as I live over 1,000 miles (and over $300 in airfare) from the closest Amtrak station. While I don't think I'd ever go three years without setting foot on an Amtrak train, it's not like I can say, "Oops! My points expire tomorrow! Let me run down and take a $5 trip..."
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jackal
True, BUT--UA counts any activity, whether credit card spending, dining through Rewards Network, or even buying a magazine subscription as valid activity.

Normally, I would agree with you, but Amtrak's policy even has ME nervous, as I live over 1,000 miles (and over $300 in airfare) from the closest Amtrak station. While I don't think I'd ever go three years without setting foot on an Amtrak train, it's not like I can say, "Oops! My points expire tomorrow! Let me run down and take a $5 trip..."
Good point. The OP apparently lives in the TX panhandle, so actually stepping foot on an Amtrak train would similarly require some advance planning. Not impossible, but not especially convenient either. Still, I can't fault Amtak Guest Rewards for this policy. 3 years is really a generous time period.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAbuzzard
There have been posts in regard to this policy before, but as folks who use our Amtrak accounts only for double-dipping stays at Hilton and on a few other "bonus" occasions we had no idea--despite trying to read the fine print. So, maybe one or the other occasional-only forum visitor may learn about this policy through this post.
It's quite clear in the T&C's and it's also in the FAQ's:
When do my points expire?

Amtrak Guest Rewards points expire 3 years after your last Amtrak travel purchase.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Question - does redeeming an Amtrak travel award count, or does it have to be a paid ticket?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 4:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by Darien-l
Question - does redeeming an Amtrak travel award count, or does it have to be a paid ticket?
It must be a paid ride. Redeeming an award might help to empty your account of points, before they get taken away, but it won't reset the 3 year counter.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlanB
It must be a paid ride. Redeeming an award might help to empty your account of points, before they get taken away, but it won't reset the 3 year counter.
I know this is the conventional wisdom and certainly the safe answer, but do we know this for sure? When traveled, reward travel posts to AGR accounts, albeit with 0 points, as travel.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:11 pm

You can probably get credit for a trip without actually riding by purchasing a ticket and mailing it in to Amtrak Revenue Accounting. That's just a theory.

Maybe attach a note to the effect that "conductor did not collect ticket".
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
You can probably get credit for a trip without actually riding by purchasing a ticket and mailing it in to Amtrak Revenue Accounting. That's just a theory.
I've wondered about that - if the Point Credit Request works in that scenario.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:01 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I know this is the conventional wisdom and certainly the safe answer, but do we know this for sure? When traveled, reward travel posts to AGR accounts, albeit with 0 points, as travel.
I think the Q & A answers this without doubt:
When do my points expire?

Amtrak Guest Rewards points expire 3 years after your last Amtrak travel purchase.
Since reward tickets are clearly marked with a $0.00 price, they were not purchased!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame

Maybe attach a note to the effect that "conductor did not collect ticket".
My guess is that they wouldn't believe you, since any normal person who was still holding their entire ticket would go get a refund or a voucher for it. They'd want their money back, not points for a ticket.

But who knows for sure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.