Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for English GPS for Japan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2008, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Looking for English GPS for Japan

Title says it all. I know there is a Navi system in English but the price is crazy, something like 100,000 yen. There is freeware available for Garmin but it seems a bit limited. I have seen a system on the itouch but I think it is only in Nihongo (Japanese). Any ideas?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 5:46 am

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
Tokyorich - I've long wondered about that myself. Over on the GroundSpeak GPS forums, they suggest buying a US Garmin and then purchasing this software: http://uud.info/

The forum is here: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=182528

LeaseJapan also seems to sell English Navi systems - make sure to scroll down to the system that's under US$1000: http://www.leasejapan.com/gps_navi.asp
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Just got back from Osaka and Tokyo. I used a Garmin Etrex Venture Cx with Japan maps loaded. Waypoints were set and I was able to find a house using Japanese postal delivery address.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 6:04 pm

I went to the Garmin site and could not find any Japan maps - where did you get your maps from? Was it from the uud.info site?

I (crosses fingers) may be returning to Japan after 15 years and would love to take a portable GPS with an English-language map of Japan (Tokyo specifically).

Last edited by smithrh; Mar 7, 2008 at 6:05 pm Reason: fixing oopsie
Old Mar 8, 2008, 5:48 pm

I am using a free version of the uud.info before they went commercial. It is not routeable but good enough for me.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:55 am

Programs: United Premier-Exe
Lightbulb I have a Japanese GPS that displays English

I have this "SmartNavi" which I bought last week and it works great. Since I live in Japan I started testing it by putting in hotel phone numbers and it brought up the location in a matter of seconds. I also did searches by addresses, which by the way are really confusing in Japan, and it worked as well. Additionally, all the exits, roads and towns are on the GPS in English and it even tells you where the speed cameras are located while you are driving. Overall I really like it, I used to use the PSP Navi which hooked up through your Sony PSP system and worked the same, and however, it was all in Japanese. My wife is Japanese and I've lived here for 10 years so I don't really have a problem getting around but it's nice to have. By the way, it can also be used for walking too, so if you are trying to get around Tokyo by foot it can help you as well.

Here is my question. How many tourist do you think actually get a rental car in Japan? Should I make this a business venture and purchase a few and rent them out for 2,000 yen a day? I've lived here for a while and rarely seen a gaijin driving a car that isn't in the military or working at the embassy. Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:25 am

I think it could be worthwhile. One of the things that keeps tourists from renting cars is the lack of English GPS. Tokyo might be a bit much for many people, but cities like Kyoto seem very approachable for driving.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by wendet
Here is my question. How many tourist do you think actually get a rental car in Japan? Should I make this a business venture and purchase a few and rent them out for 2,000 yen a day? I've lived here for a while and rarely seen a gaijin driving a car that isn't in the military or working at the embassy. Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
I have thought about renting a car at times. Especially in more rural area such as Kumamoto, Nagasaki or Shimane where distances are far and taxi cost a lot. I have always joked that I can manage driving since I have to drive down the middle of the road with my Suburban anyway. My colleague with a dually pickup truck cracks up with that.

Either my Japanese had improved over the years or their English had improved. Getting the Taxi driver go where I wanted to go had become easier. But sometimes using a GPS is just simpler.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by motytrah
I think it could be worthwhile. One of the things that keeps tourists from renting cars is the lack of English GPS. Tokyo might be a bit much for many people, but cities like Kyoto seem very approachable for driving.
I sometimes rent cars in Japan - but I wouldn't bother renting a car for tourism in urban Kyoto (or any of the really large cities). Having to deal with the traffic, having to circle around to find parking at every place I want to see and being in a steel "cocoon," isolated from the city just doesn't appeal

I find that renting a car is very worthwhile when I want to visit smaller towns and rural Japan. And having GPS is invaluable.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
I
I find that renting a car is very worthwhile when I want to visit smaller towns and rural Japan. And having GPS is invaluable.
I just went to rent a car at the local "rural" Toyota Rent-a-Lease and most if not all the cars available came equipped with a navigation system. It is in Japanese, but this is not an issue for me.....
Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:36 am

GPS - useful in Japan ????

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a GPS in Tokyo - will the software n maps be in english ?? Where would be best places to buy them, n approximate prices, please ?? The power adapter has to be 110 n 220 voltage.

Appreciate any help,

Mike
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:15 am

There are maps in English for English GPS. I have a Garmin eTrex Cx with English maps loaded.

http://www011.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mametaro/index-e.html
http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_t...aps_of_ja.html
http://uud.info/
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, 'GPS' is too short a search term.

Here's a recent thread (you'd have to know it was there to find it)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797935

Hope this helps.

EDIT TO ADD: "Global Positioning System" - just so I can find this again in the future

Last edited by LapLap; Apr 18, 2008 at 10:58 am
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:11 am
Community Director Emerita

mikey2tan, welcome to posting on FlyerTalk. I've merged your post into an existing thread on the topic, in hopes that you'll find information of value to you already here. Keep asking questions if you need more.

SanDiego1K
Senior Moderator
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:45 pm

Hi moderator,

Arigato gozaimashita

for your thoughfulness. We've decided to buy a GPS in Singapore cos it'll come with free maps of S'pore n Malaysia n free updates 4 two years. Now, which brand to buy so that it'll be compatible with Japan/S. Korea maps in english ??? We'll not be driving much in Japan/Korea but would like GPS to guide us on foot when we get off train stations, subway exits n buses.

Appreciate any help,

Mike

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
mikey2tan, welcome to posting on FlyerTalk. I've merged your post into an existing thread on the topic, in hopes that you'll find information of value to you already here. Keep asking questions if you need more.

SanDiego1K
Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.