Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: Sheraton Stockton Hotel at Regent Pointe - Stockton, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Sheraton Stockton Hotel at Regent Pointe - Stockton, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Arrow GONE: Sheraton Stockton Hotel at Regent Pointe - Stockton, CA [Master Thread]

There is an article in today's Record newspaper about the soft opening tomorrow of the new Sheraton Stockton.

The Starwood website still shows the official opening of the hotel as January 10, 2008, but apparently some members of a Republican women's group will be staying there this weekend. There was also a breakfast mixer there yesterday.

The hotel is described as "modern" and "different." It will be interesting to see how the local community responds to its upscale, urban design. The new 60 foot bar, "the longest in San Joaquin County," will certainly be a draw.

One challenge for locals and travellers is that the hotel will offer valet parking only. There are some public lots nearby but I'm not sure you can (or would want to) leave your car overnight in them. Also, those spaces would probably not be available if there was an event going on at the nearby arena or ball park.

Last edited by Mary W; Nov 8, 2007 at 2:54 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, SPG Gold
Interesting - I just got married over the summer and we had to do our event at the Hyatt in Sac because there just weren't any large, nice venues in Stockton/Lodi area ... this will be welcome! Though having grown up in Fresno, the valet only thing seems a bit annoying.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Valet only in Stockton?Annoying and pretentious.
Bet that won't last very long.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:42 am

Trip report, anyone?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
I considered this for my matress run, but with prices 2X that of Pleasanton, I won't even consider it. I cant find prices during my availible times of less than $149-$129/nt. This is only a 35 minute drive, but Stockton is a less than desireable place to visit unless you have VERY important business here.

Jim
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up Remarkable

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Valet only in Stockton?Annoying and pretentious.
Bet that won't last very long.
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Trip report, anyone?
I am at this hotel now. I'm pleased to provide what appears to be the first report.

I am shocked this is a Sheraton. It is unlike any Sheraton I've ever experienced -- in the most positive sense.

I've never been to Stockton before and had no idea what to expect in the 'Sheraton Stockton,' but my expectations were low. Perhaps that is why I am so blown away by what I'm experiencing.

This property has been open about about 6 weeks, according to the attendant in the lounge. It's still working through some opening issues, but what is here is extremely promising, not only for this hotel, but for the future of the brand.

I would equate this hotel to a more approachable W. The room furnishings and decor reminds me of the W San Diego, but with larger rooms. Quite contemporary style, yet comfortable furniture. My king room has an extremely comfortable bed, side chair with ottoman and a large desk.

The bathroom is extremely modern, but with functional use of the space. In other words, good sized, plenty of counter space and a sink that is nice, but completely functional. The shower is a large walk-in, with a 3/4 glass wall separating it from the bathroom. (It's nice to see that Starwood learned something from those 1/2 glass shower walls in some W's, that results in water everywhere.)

The lounge is on the fourth floor, which is the top floor of the hotel. (The three floors above it are private residences, which I was told are not yet occupied.) In the evening, there is a spread of hot appetizers from the restaurant, soft drinks and three wines, at least tonight, a Chardonnay, a Merlot and a Zinfandel or Cabernet (they started with one, then went to the other). It's a comfortable, modern space with wood floors, sofa, a few chairs and dining table with 8-or-so chairs. I haven't checked out the morning spread, but will update this post once I have. The attendant of the lounge was a friendly, helpful lady who is clearly excited about her job and the hotel.

Edited to add: Checked out the morning spread, which was a variety of muffins, made in-house, and quite good; fruit; yogurt; granola bars, juices, coffee -- a dressed-up continental

The workout room is excellent. Free weights and cardio equipment, towels & water bottles. It faces out large windows to the front of the hotel.

The restaurant is way above average. It also provides the room service, which is what I tried and found to be excellent. I was told the restuarant is not yet completely ready for prime-time in terms of furnishings, but if my one meal was any indication, I wouldn't hesitate to eat there.

Now for the critical issue () -- parking. You can self-park, as well as valet. For self-park, you park in the lot next door where the valet cars are also parked, in the lot for the hockey arena. They give you a pass to leave on your dashboard. I don't yet know the cost, but will update this thread when I know.

Edited to add: Self parking is $9; valet is $12.

The only annoyances I've encountered was a lack of a/c in my room, which an engineer quickly fixed for me, and the TV channels. They have what I'm approximating to be 42" LG Plasma screens in the rooms, complete with HD signals and channels. However, while they have four channels of ESPN, there is no CNN, MSNBC, or ABC station. There's CNN Headline News (but I cannot stand Nancy Grace) and FOX News (the place must be owned by a 'red-stater' ), but no standard CNN -- which I can get almost anywhere in the world?

All-in-all, I'm still shocked that this place is a Sheraton. I won't hesitate to return, and applaud the brand's direction, as they may finally be getting it.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Feb 14, 2008 at 9:39 pm Reason: Add additional info
Old Feb 14, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Based on your report, I'll try it.....if the parking is less than $1.00. And what is with the Nancy Grace comment? Everybody Loves Nancy.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hedoman
Based on your report, I'll try it.....if the parking is less than $1.00. And what is with the Nancy Grace comment? Everybody Loves Nancy.
Looks like a stay is not in your future -- self parking is $9; valet is $12 -- and with so many vacant miles of real estate in most directions. Interesting call.

What I love most about Nancy Grace is Amy Poehler's wonderful parody of her on SNL. At first you think no one could possibly be so annoying, only to learn that it's a spot-on impersonation.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
The workout room is excellent. Free weights and cardio equipment, towels & water bottles. It faces out large windows to the front of the hotel.
Excellent!
I have a meeting on the night of one of my stays in Stockton and I was debating on driving back to Sac-town for the Sheraton but this seals the deal for me.
^
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
According to spg.com, this hotel is not currently accepting reservations and the Platinum Concierge just told me it's not even coming up in the Starwood reservations system. When she tried to pull up *W hotels in Stockton, it only listed the two in Pleasanton.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:45 am
Community Director Emerita

Interesting. I just checked the hotel's own website. It only yields a phone number to call for reservations.
Old May 8, 2008, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Bye Bye Stockton

I was speaking with a very nice Platinum Concierge last night and asked her why the Stockton Sheraton hasn't been taking reservations for the past several weeks according to spg.com. She called the hotel and all they could tell her was that they were having computer problems. Does it really take three weeks to fix a hotel computer? This afternoon, she sent me an e-mail saying that the concierges were just notified that, effective today, the Stockton Sheraton is no longer a Sheraton. Apparently the property is having more than computer problems. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.
Old May 9, 2008, 1:21 pm

Bummer. I stayed here three times and really liked it...despite some start-up imperfections. I guess the Hilton is opening soon.
Old May 9, 2008, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
12:47 pm PST today, I called the hotel, and was told that they ARE still a Sheraton property, and they DO participate in SPG.

Old May 9, 2008, 2:30 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by kevinsac
12:47 pm PST today, I called the hotel, and was told that they ARE still a Sheraton property, and they DO participate in SPG.

Obviously, they are mistaken as they are not on any of Starwood's proprietary web sites nor are they in the booking database that the Customer Contact Centers us.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.