FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE: Sheraton Stockton Hotel at Regent Pointe - Stockton, CA [Master Thread]
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:31 pm
AZ Travels the World
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up Remarkable

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Valet only in Stockton?Annoying and pretentious.
Bet that won't last very long.
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Trip report, anyone?
I am at this hotel now. I'm pleased to provide what appears to be the first report.

I am shocked this is a Sheraton. It is unlike any Sheraton I've ever experienced -- in the most positive sense.

I've never been to Stockton before and had no idea what to expect in the 'Sheraton Stockton,' but my expectations were low. Perhaps that is why I am so blown away by what I'm experiencing.

This property has been open about about 6 weeks, according to the attendant in the lounge. It's still working through some opening issues, but what is here is extremely promising, not only for this hotel, but for the future of the brand.

I would equate this hotel to a more approachable W. The room furnishings and decor reminds me of the W San Diego, but with larger rooms. Quite contemporary style, yet comfortable furniture. My king room has an extremely comfortable bed, side chair with ottoman and a large desk.

The bathroom is extremely modern, but with functional use of the space. In other words, good sized, plenty of counter space and a sink that is nice, but completely functional. The shower is a large walk-in, with a 3/4 glass wall separating it from the bathroom. (It's nice to see that Starwood learned something from those 1/2 glass shower walls in some W's, that results in water everywhere.)

The lounge is on the fourth floor, which is the top floor of the hotel. (The three floors above it are private residences, which I was told are not yet occupied.) In the evening, there is a spread of hot appetizers from the restaurant, soft drinks and three wines, at least tonight, a Chardonnay, a Merlot and a Zinfandel or Cabernet (they started with one, then went to the other). It's a comfortable, modern space with wood floors, sofa, a few chairs and dining table with 8-or-so chairs. I haven't checked out the morning spread, but will update this post once I have. The attendant of the lounge was a friendly, helpful lady who is clearly excited about her job and the hotel.

Edited to add: Checked out the morning spread, which was a variety of muffins, made in-house, and quite good; fruit; yogurt; granola bars, juices, coffee -- a dressed-up continental

The workout room is excellent. Free weights and cardio equipment, towels & water bottles. It faces out large windows to the front of the hotel.

The restaurant is way above average. It also provides the room service, which is what I tried and found to be excellent. I was told the restuarant is not yet completely ready for prime-time in terms of furnishings, but if my one meal was any indication, I wouldn't hesitate to eat there.

Now for the critical issue () -- parking. You can self-park, as well as valet. For self-park, you park in the lot next door where the valet cars are also parked, in the lot for the hockey arena. They give you a pass to leave on your dashboard. I don't yet know the cost, but will update this thread when I know.

Edited to add: Self parking is $9; valet is $12.

The only annoyances I've encountered was a lack of a/c in my room, which an engineer quickly fixed for me, and the TV channels. They have what I'm approximating to be 42" LG Plasma screens in the rooms, complete with HD signals and channels. However, while they have four channels of ESPN, there is no CNN, MSNBC, or ABC station. There's CNN Headline News (but I cannot stand Nancy Grace) and FOX News (the place must be owned by a 'red-stater' ), but no standard CNN -- which I can get almost anywhere in the world?

All-in-all, I'm still shocked that this place is a Sheraton. I won't hesitate to return, and applaud the brand's direction, as they may finally be getting it.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Feb 14, 2008 at 9:39 pm Reason: Add additional info