Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

CL age restrictions in London Marriots?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat

I'm currently booked at the Renaissance Chancery Court for 4 nights w/ my husband and 13-year-old son. I chose it because 1)it was available as a standard reward, 2)it's supposed to be great, and 3)it's convenient to the tube. I wrote to the hotel and was informed that they have an age limit of 16 for admission to the CL. I asked if I would be able to carry breakfast to my son (some hotels restrict what one can remove from the CL), and I was told that would be fine. I was also told we could dine in the restaurant, but it was not clear if this would be free (it's not included in the standard reward). I'm not about to pay $40 a head for breakfast!

I'm now considering switching to the Marriott County Hall because my son would enjoy the pool and location, and because rooms have just become available. If we get upgraded to a balcony room as I did in May, it would be fantastic. The downside is the less central location and longer walk to the tube. Given that I cannot depend on an upgrade, I'm trying to figure out if there are any additional reasons to opt for County Hall. One big one would be if the CL admits all ages. Does anyone know if this is the case? If not, does anyone have e-mail contact information for County Hall?

Also, if anyone has a sense of the relative upgrade odds for a Thurs.-Mon. stay in August at these two hotels, that would be helpful. I could keep both reservations and choose at the last minute based on upgrade availability, but that seems rude to others looking for standard rewards stays.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:08 am

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
My wife and I did an award stay at County Hall in December. I do recall seeing a few families in the lounge with younger children. I don't know what their official policy is.

FWIW, we stayed on long weekend in mid December and did receive an room upgrade.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Greg P.
FWIW, we stayed on long weekend in mid December and did receive an room upgrade.
To a balcony, or what other type room? Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:44 am

I wrote to the hotel and was informed that they have an age limit of 16 for admission to the CL
I was staying at CC April 2008 with my wife and 14 yo son on points. They provided us with free roll away bed for my son. Great hotel. Very large rooms. Great location. Holborn tube just around the corner. But all major attractions are within a working distance from the hotel anyway. Starbucks and Pret just 50 yards from hotel. There is a good pasta restaurant just across the street from CC.

Last edited by cdiver; Jun 29, 2007 at 9:39 am
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
There were very few children present during my stay a couple of years back at CC, so I don't have any memory of seeing any in the CL. At other London hotels, I've occasionally seem familes with well behaved, well supervised children. Teens accompanied by parents have been ok.

As for taking items out of the lounge, most properties frown on it, but its not all that uncommon and I doubt if they'll stop you as long as you're being "reasonable" about it. IME, if you take out a plate with a few breakfast items and a glass of juice, etc. they'll look the other way.

Of course, if you ask them in advance if its okay, they'll almost certainly say "no".

As fore CC versus CH, CC is indeed a fine hotel, but from the sound of the OP, CH would probably work out better if you can get the standard reward.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
I currently have the standard reward booked at both, but I feel like a jerk hanging on to both (as others may want to book). Just trying to decide which to cancel.

CC was very clear w/ me that I cannot take my son into the lounge, but that I can bring him breakfast from the lounge.

I stayed at County Hall in May and loved it, but that was in large part because I was upgraded to a studio with a balcony overlooking Westminster. If I could know for certain I'd get that upgrade again, I'd choose County Hall in a heartbeat! Without that certainty, its greatest plus is the pool. If I knew for certain that my son could eat in the CL at County Hall, that would be another big plus (I don't mind taking his breakfast to our room at CC, but I know he'll feel left out when his father and I go for snacks, breakfast, etc. without him).

I'd like to try the Chancery Court, especially considering the positive reviews it gets here, and I do appreciate its more central location (we've been coming to London every summer for over 20 years, so proximity to tourist sites is not high on our list of priorities). At the same time, staying somewhere where my son is welcome would make for a less stressful trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.