Wiki Posts
Search

AY vs BA to HEL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

AY vs BA to HEL

As part of my upcoming DONE4 I am planning to head to HEL (as it can earn the most miles after DXB and I wanted to visit Nortern Europe).

I noticed the flights on this route are code shared between AY and BA. Which airline will be better on this route?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:34 am
jhm

There are a number of threads on here about this - take AY metal unless it's the new J seats (3-3 configuration) Book the AY metal on the BA codeshare number if you can for the BAEC gold/silver bonus.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both are very good, but be aware of the following:

Seating

BA seats are standard 2-3 CE seats on 319/320/321s

On AY, if you are on a 319/321, similar 2-3 seating, old cloth seats, slightly less comfortable than BA's but there's not much in it. If you are on a 320, then it's the new spacesaver seats in 3-3 config, and very tighly packed together. They have stopped selling the middle B and E seats in J, but unless you are in row 1, you will notice the difference in seat pitch. Row 1 (better on the DF seat, as the bulhead is further back) is good for legroom in these seats, anything further back is to be avoided at all costs.

Meals

BA is standard Band 3 grub - no starter, main course of pasta or curry, little pot of desert, cheese & biscuits with a few grapes.

AY catering is much better, nice big starter, large main course - eg meat or fish with vegetables, desert such as a mousse or apple pie.

Service

Very similar, although BA's can be a bit variable, AY's is always excellent. AY crew are very attentive and come frequently through the cabin offering drinks, bread, drinks, more drinks.

IFE

BA has the usual moving maps, telling you where Stansted isn't. AY has a moving map, some short documentary style programmes (with subtitles instead of sound) which are generally not worth watching. But the best bit about AY is the cameras which show on the monitors the views from the front of the plane of take off and approach/landing. If you know anyone in Hounslow, get them to wave as you come in to land.

Newspapers

BA (and AY) - usually lottery at LHR - will the bins be empty or not, so best borrow them from the lounge. At HEL, there's usually a choice of the Telegraph, the FT or the IHT on boarding. On AY they also come round in J offering the Telegraph, FT or IHT (or Finnish papers with unfeasible names).

Lounges/Terminals

Identical for both. Even though AY tell you use the Serviceair Lounge at T1, you can ignore that. HEL has the nice lounge right by gate 33, turn right for Emeralds, turn left for all other low-lives.

Check-In

For LHR-HEL, you can OLCI to a BA flight with a BA ticket, but not to a BA flight with an AY ticket (although the SSCI machines work for this) or an AY flight with a BA ticket.

For HEL-LHR there is no OLCI for BA flights. AY have an OLCI facility for AY flights, but it doesn't work if you have onward connections on your ticket.

Other Quirks

Remember you can travel to HEL via ARN (or via MAN) if you want more TPs.

Remember to use the BA flight code (for BA or AY operated flights) if you want tier bonuses and 50% cabin bonus, otherwise you'll only get 25% cabin bonus.

I tend to book whichever has the most suitable departure time, but definitely avoiding an AY 320 (unless you can nab seat 1D). The real choice is in the evening (1800) when the BA and AY planes go out a few minutes apart.

Last edited by Smirnoff; Jun 5, 2007 at 6:02 am
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I think I will take the AY flights as I just find out the schedule is better to maximise time for a weekend trip. Also the CE seats are a joke anyway, so I don't think it will be the end of the world as long as they block out the middle seat. Also the catering sounds better (althought I might not be able to order to SFML like on BA.

The onyl other Cons as u guys pointed out is the lack of OLCI?

I presume AY departs from T4 so I can sue the F class lounge?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh

I presume AY departs from T4 so I can sue the F class lounge?
Why would you presume that?

And why would you sue the lounge anyway?

It's T1 by the way. Check in at Zone R, as per BA flights.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Why would you presume that?

And why would you sue the lounge anyway?

It's T1 by the way. Check in at Zone R, as per BA flights.
I thought all codeshare flights are op in T4?
I personally like the T4 lounges better. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I will take the AY flights as I just find out the schedule is better to maximise time for a weekend trip. Also the CE seats are a joke anyway, so I don't think it will be the end of the world as long as they block out the middle seat. Also the catering sounds better (althought I might not be able to order to SFML like on BA.
If you think BA seats in CE are a joke, then I definitely recommend you check your AY flight is not on a 320. Think charter airline seating. The seats are narrow economy seats and the leg room is dreadful. Only go on a 320 if it's row 1.

AY automatically picks up the SPML requests if they are in your BAEC profile. Otherwise just call AY (if it's an AY flight number) or do in MMB (if it's a BA flight number), to put in your meal request.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought all codeshare flights are op in T4?
I personally like the T4 lounges better. Thanks for the clarification.
AY go from T1. Usually nice and close gates in the 20s. Use the normal Terraces or F Lounge if you are Emerald.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

If you think BA seats in CE are a joke, then I definitely recommend you check your AY flight is not on a 320. Think charter airline seating. The seats are narrow economy seats and the leg room is dreadful. Only go on a 320 if it's row 1.

AY automatically picks up the SPML requests if they are in your BAEC profile. Otherwise just call AY (if it's an AY flight number) or do in MMB (if it's a BA flight number), to put in your meal request.
Can't the arm rest be lifted to create more room?And if the block the middle seats, wouldn't that be better than BA on the right hand side in CE?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't the arm rest be lifted to create more room?And if the block the middle seats, wouldn't that be better than BA on the right hand side in CE?
No the arm rest doesn't lift.
It's possibly better than a DEF seat on BA, but only in row 1. The seat pitch is that bad.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:40 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
AY go from T1. Usually nice and close gates in the 20s.
Often behind the secondary security control BA flights (in my experience) always go from somewhere around gates 36-40, a long walk but no security control.

No the arm rest doesn't lift.
As far as I remember (often difficult due to champagne usage...) the arm rest does lift (on AY 320s) except on row 1 due to the tray tables. But even then the legroom remains awful.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frankvb
Often behind the secondary security control BA flights (in my experience) always go from somewhere around gates 36-40, a long walk but no security control.

As far as I remember (often difficult due to champagne usage...) the arm rest does lift (on AY 320s) except on row 1 due to the tray tables. But even then the legroom remains awful.
Come to think of it, you are right. My last two 320 flights were in row 1, and that armrest (or rib poker) certainly doesn't lift. A previous one (and the last one I will ever do) in row 2 had I think armrests that lift, but the seat in front gives you knee torture the whole way.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:52 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Beware that it is not just the Finnair A320 fleet that is seeing these new seats rolling out. Their A321 fleet will also have them by the end of August.

Following some feedback I gave to Finnair they told me about how environmentally sound this new seating configuration was and then went on to say "The installation of the lighter seats will continue during summer and is planned be completed in all Airbus A320 and A321 aircraft by the end of August.". So I'm guessing that these will soon be across the entire fleet.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:52 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Dave,

Which programme will you be crediting your miles? If it's an AY flight number and if you credit to QFF, you won't get as many miles as a BA flight number.

One thing I've tried is to fly a BA flight one way and an AY flight the other way (but with a BA flight number so to earn maximum miles for QFF).

(Sorry to take this thread away from BA.)
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Until the catering strike of 2005, I always took BA LHR-HEL. After trying Finnair once on that August, I decided never to go back to BA on that route if possible (and haven't since). While I echo everything Smirnoff said, I feel the difference is far more discernable (in favor of AY). The catering difference is like night and day. In Business on AY, you'll actually get a very good meal accompanied with (real) Champagne and port. AY service (though a bit different than others) has always been nothing short of fantastic. And, I'm still able to use BA's great T1 F lounge (probably one of the best aspects of flying BA intra-Europe anyway).

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.