Wiki Posts
Search

Nutella

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Nutella

Anybody know where I can get my hands on the European version (not the stuff that's generally sold in most grocery stores)? I've heard it tastes better, though I cannot attest to that. The main reason I want to get the European one is because it does not contain hydrogenated oils (transfat) whereas the US one does.

If you have a specific store name where they sell this, I would love to know.

Thanks
Old May 25, 2007, 12:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
It's true - the European version is much better. Having said that, no, I don't know where you can get it here.
Old May 25, 2007, 12:40 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by brendamc
It's true - the European version is much better. Having said that, no, I don't know where you can get it here.
It even varies within Europe...German one is one of the best, and of course Italy, where it first started....

However, other countries sell the Italian-produced ones, so you have to read the labels....

Don't buy in Austria - that version is not good at all...(sorry Austrians! )
Old May 25, 2007, 2:09 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
I'm not a really big fan of Nutella, we never buy it, but if it's available at friends it's basically the essential part of my breakfast. What I heard is, as an alternative if you're in Austria, that the Milka stuff is also great, at least this is what a good friend of mine told me, who is a Nutella connaisseur, I never tried it though.

Edit: The Milka version of Nutella is available in every austrian supermarket.

Last edited by DTS; May 26, 2007 at 1:25 am
Old May 25, 2007, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nocilla

You can stick your Nutella! Nocilla is sooo much nicer.

http://www.tienda.com/food/products/dt-06.html

It outsells Nutella in Spain by a huge margin. I've always found Nutella to be a disappointment having been indoctrinated into the delights of Nocilla meriendas from an early age.

It's been a very long time since I conducted my Nutella/Nocilla taste test - so I can't remember exactly why I preferred Nocilla.
Old May 25, 2007, 6:16 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's way better.

And sold in so many different formats. There's a Glass Picture lined with a thick layer of it, you just fill it with milk, shake, and enjoy. There's a giant jar of it, took this picture in Italy last week at a crepes stand:

http://s90570816.onlinehome.us/italy.../P5120309.html

Many times I said "No Honey, we can not bring one of those back with us"

The imported stuff isn't cheap, but this site has the austrian and german versions

http://www.germandeli.com/nutellagermany.html

and some local italian specality stores carry the italian version of it.

If you do a froogle search for nutella than the country you are looking for it to be from, you will find many dealers in the us. The Italian version for example

http://www.google.com/products?q=nutella+italy&show=dd

I can take or leave the US version, doesn't really do much for me. I had it every day in Italy, it's really good.
Old May 25, 2007, 6:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Even the Canadian and US versions taste different a bit. The Canadian Nutella is runnier, which I like. My son prefers the thicker US one.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
It's way better.

And sold in so many different formats. There's a Glass Picture lined with a thick layer of it, you just fill it with milk, shake, and enjoy. There's a giant jar of it, took this picture in Italy last week at a crepes stand:

http://s90570816.onlinehome.us/italy.../P5120309.html

Many times I said "No Honey, we can not bring one of those back with us"

The imported stuff isn't cheap, but this site has the austrian and german versions

http://www.germandeli.com/nutellagermany.html

and some local italian specality stores carry the italian version of it.

If you do a froogle search for nutella than the country you are looking for it to be from, you will find many dealers in the us. The Italian version for example

http://www.google.com/products?q=nutella+italy&show=dd

I can take or leave the US version, doesn't really do much for me. I had it every day in Italy, it's really good.
Cool, thanks for the links. Like I said earlier, I want the foreign versions mainly for health reasons- I don't like to have trans-fats in my diet, and unfortunately the US Nutella has a lot of it!
Old May 25, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA
My best guess would be Monsieur Marcel in the Farmers' Market on 3rd and Fairfax... they stock calissons !
Old May 25, 2007, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Picked up the Italian version from Di Bruno Bros. online store from the froogle link that cordelli so kindly found, for 12.99 plus shipping, $20.xx shipped. A little pricey, but it will last me a while.

The Nocilla also looks very tasty, I will make that my next purchase. I should probably check the local gourmet import stores before buying online.
Old May 26, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Cool, thanks for the links. Like I said earlier, I want the foreign versions mainly for health reasons- I don't like to have trans-fats in my diet, and unfortunately the US Nutella has a lot of it!
Have you verified the contents of the Euro versions? Are they free from trans-fats?
Old May 26, 2007, 3:38 pm

The Nocilla also looks very tasty, I will make that my next purchase.
Has anyone else done this taste test??

I think that I see some extra artificial flavors in there, besides the vanillin in Nutella...
Old May 27, 2007, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Have you verified the contents of the Euro versions? Are they free from trans-fats?
The Italian version I found out through word of mouth that it does not have the trans-fats. I will confirm with the ingredient label when I get the bottle next week. The German version (another one of the links above), also does not contain them. The Wikipedia article also states that UK, Australian, Canadian, and Polish versions do not contain trans-fats. I just didn't want to try and hunt them down when I had the Italian one ready from the above link
Old May 29, 2007, 2:12 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
As much as I like Nutella, it'spart of my daily breakfast here in Beijing, (the only decent/good chocolate spread that's a decent price for 750g and its from Italy!), there are so many more chocolate spreads to try from Italy, Germany, Austria, Spain etc. My mom found an organic chocolate/nut spread rom Tuscany at whole foods a few years back that we all swore by. I guess we were the only one who bought it because they no longer carry it.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 10:59 am

The Italian version I found out through word of mouth that it does not have the trans-fats. I will confirm with the ingredient label when I get the bottle next week. The German version (another one of the links above), also does not contain them. The Wikipedia article also states that UK, Australian, Canadian, and Polish versions do not contain trans-fats. I just didn't want to try and hunt them down when I had the Italian one ready from the above link
It just happens that 3 Nutella jars we bought locally in BOM are from the USA. (The last set was from Poland! )

The label specifically states:

"Serv Size: 2 tbsp. (37g)

Amount/Serving
Total Fat 11g
Sat. Fat 2g
Trans Fat 0g"

(However, we very well know how one can get around the % statement in the US!)

Taste: Mediocre (more Hazelnut-ty than chocolate)...but when you are in the States (and note that this Nutella has traveled halfway across the world, possibly not stored in cool (temperature) locations) it usually tastes quite good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.