Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Cabin Announcements during night flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

I had the misfortune to be on the red-eye from PER-SYD this week (what a shocker!). It is difficult enough to attempt some sleep on this flight without continual interruptions on the PA.

Granted we had some turbulence, but other airlines seem content just to put the seatbelt signs on and then leave it to the crew to ensure that the pax have complied with the instruction.

On the PER flight, the seatbelt sign went on, then the captain used the PA to advise that the seatbelt sign had been switched on and that we should return to our seats ( ) and fasten our seatbelts. For the terminally stupid, this announcement was then immediately repeated (at triple the volume) by the Cabin Service Manager (who helpfully also advised that the cabin service would be suspended). This happened 3 or 4 times, each time with the same drill. There could not have been a single person still asleep on the plane.

Is this standard operating procedure for QF? If so, I might rethink my forthcoming trip on QF9.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 5:54 pm

I think I would be OK with what they did, bar the repeated applications (once by one of the captain or CSM is fine - preferably from the CSM so they can say both "buckle up" and "service is off for now" at the same time - plus of course all crew members checking for action). Sure, I'd lose sleep, but better than getting hurt in turbulence.

People are going to be woken up anyway if they don't have their seat belts fastened because the FAs will tell them to do so. For those that have the sensibility to buckle up when seated, it's only a minor disturbance (read: assuming a rational, reasonable PA transmission - you may be excepted).

For the terminally stupid
Don't joke. You'd be surprised how many air passengers leave their common sense back at home. That's why we live in such a litigious society these days. For companies to do supposedly obvious things, it's a small sacrifice for legal peace of mind.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:05 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
[QUOTE=The Saint;7604164]I had the misfortune to be on the red-eye from PER-SYD this week (what a shocker!). It is difficult enough to attempt some sleep on this flight without continual interruptions on the PA.

Granted we had some turbulence, but other airlines seem content just to put the seatbelt signs on and then leave it to the crew to ensure that the pax have complied with the instruction. QUOTE]

Agree PER-SYD red-eye is a shocker!! Very bad flight!

I am not so sure about other airlines being content to put the seatbelt sign on. AA is ridiculous. The captain gets on the PA and talks about the turbulence and repeatedly tells passengers and cabin crew to fasten seat belts. On several flights with AA it became a joke with me and my friends just how much the Pilot talks on the PA.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by The Saint
Granted we had some turbulence, but other airlines seem content just to put the seatbelt signs on and then leave it to the crew to ensure that the pax have complied with the instruction.
Unlike other airlines, when the seatbelt sign comes on must be seated immediately - no exceptions. So crew can't check to see if everyone has their seatbelt on. Some passengers might not be aware the sign has come on (for example be watching a movie) so there is a PA to inform those who might not of heard the ding and seen the sign come on.

Originally Posted by The Saint
For the terminally stupid, this announcement was then immediately repeated (at triple the volume) by the Cabin Service Manager (who helpfully also advised that the cabin service would be suspended). This happened 3 or 4 times, each time with the same drill. There could not have been a single person still asleep on the plane.
Since it happened during the service, it's fair to say most people would of been awake anyway. The CSM is not required to repeat it. However, since this happened during the service, while informing you the service will be suspended, also reminded everyone that their seatbelt should be on (because there will still be people with their seatbelt unfastened). Obviously the volume was simply set too high.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:12 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
And if it was not announced, the "terminally stupid" people would then sue the airline for compensation for their injuries received when the aircraft hit turbulence and they claim they were not told to fasten their seatbelts.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:38 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Ok here's one for interupting sleep. Try being awoken mid Pacific on US-Aus flight with a recorded announcement being repeated continuously asking you to " place oxygen mask over mouth" whilst plane descends etc etc. Whilst you are awoken by the noise, it's the adrenalin that keeps you awake once you realise what the noise is all about. Thankfully a false alarm.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:57 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
Why not do the BA way? They used to get lots of complaints about too many PAs. Now they suggest passengers who would like to sleep to fasten their seat belt on top of the blanket and avoid doing PAs during night flights in order that passengers would get some sleep.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:47 am

In a similar vein, I had an old style alarm clock go off in one of the overhead lockers on a Qantas plane recently.

Amazing how well that woke everyone up while they were trying to work out what on earth was making that racket!
Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by JuPe
Why not do the BA way? They used to get lots of complaints about too many PAs. Now they suggest passengers who would like to sleep to fasten their seat belt on top of the blanket and avoid doing PAs during night flights in order that passengers would get some sleep.
SQ and NZ do this too.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:32 am
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
SQ and NZ do this too.
I encountered this on TWA in 1999... UA also does it currently (when necessary)...
Old Apr 23, 2007, 6:39 am
Original Poster

An update...

Flew to LHR on QF9. Mentioned the announcements during the night to the CSM when he came round for his chat. He was great. Explained what the policy was (if the Captain makes announcement then CSM must follow up), but said that he would exclude F from any annoucements he had to make. Brilliant. In fact, he was one of the best QF CSMs I have encountered.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:55 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
It can be a pain on multi-language airlines.
On some airlines you can have it in 3 languages (Language of destination, language of origin and English).

LH solved the problem in a different way. You must put on your seatbelt when you are seated. So in this case the FA does not need to check it all the time and they save some announcements.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:23 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Good quality ear plugs?. Plus putting the seat belt over the blanket as previous posts noted.

I'm vaguely aware of the announcement, but no more than the turbulence anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.