Search

Amankora In April

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPANAIR GOLD, IBERIA GOLD, SPG GOLD
Amankora In April

hello
I am going to travel to bhutan during days 9 to the 18 of April and I will lodge in the four lodges of amankora. What type of food serves? Internet is free? He is better to take euros or dollars ? Somebody has been in April? that temperature does? thanks
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.amanresorts.com/kora/dest.htm

The spring season (mid-March to June) offers warmer temperatures of around 27-29°C during the day, falling to around 18°C at night.
The national currency, the ngultrum (Nu), is on par with the Indian rupee. The ngultrum is issued in notes of 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 and 500. Prices in most destinations are quoted in ngultrum though US dollars are widely accepted and changed.
http://www.fivestaralliance.com/luxu...amankora,_paro

Complimentary Internet access is available through an in-house laptop in the Library.
http://www.cntraveller.com/Guides/Bh...lt.aspx?Page=2

The cuisine is Western, Indian and Bhutanese, including the national dish emadasi (chilli with yak cheese).

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 20, 2007 at 12:42 pm
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:37 am
Original Poster

thank you very much but it looked for people information whom there is been in lodges. the information that you provide already I have it, I repeat to you that thank you very much but it waited for real information of people who have enjoyed the amankora experience. thanks
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

regarding exact temperature and cuisine sure more first hand would be good, and im sure people will respond if they know / see this thread.

but at least your currency question was answered..

one FT trip report >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....7&postcount=83

edit - thanks for the additional info zigzag ^

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 20, 2007 at 12:41 pm
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:13 pm

Amankora

Did this trip in May of last year and stayed at three of the four lodges. The food is great, you have a choice of western or butanese. The chef in Paro was American and the food was wonderful, in Punakha the chef was from Indonesia and made great Nasi Gurang. Just taste the Butanese Yak cheese before you order the ravioli as it has a unique and strange taste and adds a twist to all the dishes it is used in. You will also encounter the chili peppers which are very hot, similar to the chili in New Mexico.'
Internet is free and slow but its there and takes time bring a book while your waiting for the page to load.
The temputure varies from valley to valley. Thimphu was cold at night and warm during the day. They have outside fires near the restaurant. You eat at individual tables here unlike the communal tables at the other lodges. In Punakha it was warm to hot in the sun. This was our favorite lodge and if it had a pool it would be perfect.
Paro was cold and rainy with some snow on the side of the roads still so you never know. The spa here is not to be missed and its nice to spend a day at this lodge.
This is a very exhausting trip even in Aman luxury. The journery's between the lodges are long but great on the eyes. Just watch getting car sick. I found after a few stops things all looked the same in each valley and we decided not to go to Gangtey and glad we did not have to make the journey back to Paro from there.
This trip is so different then other Aman experience's as your always on the move. I have to admit I like to hang out at their resorts on part of my trip and the day I did that at Punakha I was the only one around of the guest.
Be prepared for some of the doors that are supposed to slide not to work and more then a few cracks in the terrazzo floors. Other then that it's a great place to stay and see.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks zigzag
Thanks very much this were what really desire to know your information is to me helpful because I take a portable computer and I prefer to eat the western food. Anyway I will tell amankora experience to my return.
Thank thank you very much again.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyway I will tell amankora experience to my return.
looking forward to it
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:40 pm

thanks fr that Zig Zag

other than car sickness ........was there problems with thin air ......? and would a ....less than healthy person eg overweight and generally unfit - [ a friend you understand ......] .....would such a person find it difficult to do this trip ???.......walking is fine ....but would the high altitude be an issue....

which of the lodges you have stayed is the "better" one ?......i was told that Kora is not a dwelling /languishing trip like the other resorts .

thanks in advance : )
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:47 am

Amankora

If you want to see the Tigers Nest near the Paro lodge you will have a 2.5 hour walk up and 2 back down and its not easy. Forget about using the horse as you have to get off the horse anytime the slop gets steep and that is often. The whole trip involves a lot of walking and the air is very thin and you will need some time to adjust unless you live in the mountains.
Our favorite lodge was in Punakha as it used an old farm house for its public spaces and new buildings for its eight suites. All the suites are so similar that you sometimes for get you changed lodges. The best spa was at the Paro lodge and since this is the largest it had a feeling of a more complete facilities. It was wet and cold while we where there so the fires and spa baths came in handy to help with the sore muscles.
I have to say before I went I wanted a trip that I could spend some time just hanging out at the lodges. This was not that trip but we did finish back in India and stayed at Amanbagh and spent the whole time in the pool that was chilled as it was 112 outside during our stay in May.This is the place to stay and just relax and if you love Amankila and Amanjiwo you will feel right at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.