Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Varig to leave Star Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M

http://www.staralliance.com/en/press...ralliance.html

In a nutshell:
With "new" Varig having been granted its operator's certificate (CHETA), "old" Varig no longer meets the conditions to be a member of Star Alliance.
The press release does not indicate whether "new" Varig is expected to join but it states that *A wants to increase presence in South America:
“Star Alliance continues to offer the most intercontinental flights serving more cities in Brazil than any other alliance and will continue to expand its services in this important and growing aviation market”
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:47 pm

Hardly surprising I guess, but still a shame nonetheless.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
...not much of Varig left anyway ...
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:11 pm

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
thatīs a pity, just when the new Varig is taking off and getting reliable services again. I guess thereīs plenty of debts from the old Varig to prevent the new one to be part of *A. That leaves us here in Brazil without an airline thatīs part of an alliance... Oh well, I guess it happens...Anyone think thereīs any chance of either TAM or the new Varig join any of the existing alliances?

FR
Old Dec 21, 2006, 5:16 pm

Press reports in Brazil indicate that new VARIG is in talks to join Star Alliance as soon as possible, although nothing is certain yet. We'll have to wait and see.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel for the FF folks in Brazil.

However, I shed no tears for that old RG. Had my share of totally inacceptable stories with them along with pretty snoddy eomployee behaviour along the way.

It can only go up from here.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:27 pm

What happened when the new Ansett Australia came about? Didn't the *A stick with the new Ansett?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
What happened when the new Ansett Australia came about? Didn't the *A stick with the new Ansett?
What new Ansett Australia?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:39 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by FlyingRabbit
Anyone think thereīs any chance of either TAM or the new Varig join any of the existing alliances?

FR
TAM said only a few days ago that they had no intention of joining any alliances any time soon , of course that may have just been posturing
Old Dec 22, 2006, 8:41 am

What kind of network does the new Varig have? Will its route network expand to the level of the old Varig, especially in South America? Losing Varig is no big deal for getting to and from South America but its a big problem for Star members who want to use rewards to fly within South America.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by globetrekker84
What new Ansett Australia?
After the original Ansett owned by NZ collapsed some Aussies bought the remains and tried to resurect it for like 6 mths untill it collapsed again, hence the new "Ansett".
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by jimmac
What kind of network does the new Varig have? Will its route network expand to the level of the old Varig, especially in South America? Losing Varig is no big deal for getting to and from South America but its a big problem for Star members who want to use rewards to fly within South America.
Right now it is nowhere near what it was a year ago. With the new permit though, it is expected to slowly expand again, hopefully growing back to be close to what it used to be. How slowly it will grow, and even IF it effectively will, remains to be seen. Right now Varig flies to Argentina and Venezuela, plus a bunch of cities on south and northeast Brazil. A few more are being added this January.

On another note, newspaper today reports that Varig will consider reapplying to Star or joining One World. Personally, I have a tough time buying the idea of Varig joining OW. Since nobody was quoted saying that, I think itīs just newspaper rubbish.

FR
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Wonder if this is precursor of things to come at least in Europe. I don't want to believe this but i keep hearing that members are competing against each other.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 1:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by UA Fan
After the original Ansett owned by NZ collapsed some Aussies bought the remains and tried to resurect it for like 6 mths untill it collapsed again, hence the new "Ansett".
If you're thinking of Tesna, that went nowhere. No flights. No alliance.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 4:13 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
If you're thinking of Tesna, that went nowhere. No flights. No alliance.

AFAIR * said Tesna will a member again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.