Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snow tires ever on Rental Cars?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: several
Question Snow tires ever on Rental Cars?

I should know this, but do the major rental companies ever put snow tires on their cars in Cdn winter cities? I have a 1-week rental w/ National in YOW next week, and plenty of driving to do...tons. My concern is some big December squall, and National giving me a rear-wheel drive Chrysler 300, which rather sux in ANY snow.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:17 am

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
I had studded tires on a hertz retal car I got in northern Sweden.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:05 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
snow tires make a difference, but not that big of a difference. if you feel concerned about the type of tire you have while on top of 1 inch of snow, maybe you should stick with a cab, or a chopper.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:04 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cur
snow tires make a difference, but not that big of a difference. if you feel concerned about the type of tire you have while on top of 1 inch of snow, maybe you should stick with a cab, or a chopper.
Actually the difference can be like night and day.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by cur

My Front Wheel Drive car came with summer tires. I have gotten it stuck in 1" of snow more than once (and I've been driving in winter for 25 years). With winter tires it is a completely different machine.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:20 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
You can get snow tires on cars rented from most of the majors in the YQB area during the winter season.

However, they basically threaten you with death if you even ask about the possibility of dropping the car off at YUL or some other point outside the region.

I think they're concerned the car will never come back and they'll lose the tires; I'm told that the snow tires are actually paid for by the local agencies, not the franchisor.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:32 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Bonvoy LTT, Centurion, HH Diamond
After getting stuck in 1" of snow in Montreal in a Lincoln Continental rental (I wouldnt even think of trying to push a boat like this out of snow!), I enquired at Avis about the winter tire issue.

Their answer: You have to ask for it at time of reservation. They have very few cars with them because it's not economically viable.

To which my reply was "So your business model revolves around staying cheap on winter tire and rely on the renter's insurance policies to fix your cars when they crash them in the winter time?"

In any case, I've rarely had a rental with winter tires. Though, I must say that recently in DEN, I had a National rental Ford Expedition AWD with winter treads. I felt pretty secure by that notion.

N
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:49 am

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
We have a corporate account with National in Pointe Claire (West Island of Montreal) and can get cars with winter tires on a per-request basis. The request must be made at least a few days ahead of time so they have time to locate a vehicle. I’m not sure about the airport location though but I could inquire if anybody is interested for the YUL region.

I’ve been renting vehicles at various locations in Eastern Canada for several years now and very very rarely get winter tires. We’ve been complaining about this issue for several years now for our corporate account in Montreal and they finally agreed (about 2 years ago) to equip a few vehicles with winter tires.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:08 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
I can see that no one here has rented a car in Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Regina etc. Not only do these cars come equipped with snows, but if you don't plug in your block heater at night, expect a pancake flat battery in the morning!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:18 am

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Originally Posted by Mozzarella
I can see that no one here has rented a car in Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Regina etc.
I do, and don’t always get winter tires.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:17 pm
ALW

Originally Posted by cur
snow tires make a difference, but not that big of a difference.
The guys on some car sites (analogous to FT) have a saying: "in snow, the worst winter tires are better than the best all-season tires".

Of course they're not recommending the worst tires anyway. And they're not snow tires, they're winter tires. Among other things the rubber compound is different and stays more supple and stickier in cold weather, improving braking and traction even on bare pavement.

It should be the law that rental companies and fleet owners put winter tires on their vehicles, in some regions if not everywhere. Listening to CFRB's traffic report last night at about 9pm (while driving through Hawkesbury!) I'd think it would be good in Toronto. I'd actually support a law that _all_ vehicles must have winter tires (I don't want someone else banging into me!) but those regularly driven by not-the-owner would be a start.

=aw

Last edited by ALW; Dec 5, 2006 at 12:19 pm Reason: Added rant about mandating winter tires
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by cur
Don't know what you drive, but my car in undriveable in snow without snow tires.

DF
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC Elite
No one makes winter tires like us Finns...
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Bonvoy LTT, Centurion, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
No one makes winter tires like us Finns...
Word up for Nokian tires!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 2:25 pm
B1

If you look at the most recent Consumer Reports tests on all-season and winter tires, you will notice that some of the all-season tires are excellent in snow and some are not. While all winter tires are fine in snow, they are not so fine on dry or wet pavement without snow, making noise and not handling well on curves or braking. The CR article shows one major brand all season as being excellent on snow traction and seven very good, one excellent on ice-braking and two very good (they were also very good on snow traction). Some of the ones that were fine in snow traction were also good on wet and dry as well. The caution that is stated is "all-season tires aren’t the best in the wake of a severe winter storm, especially if you must be on road before the highway crews" while winter tires probably do not grip as well on cleared roads and must be removed in the summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.